A double standard.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonymousMe

Reaction score
I’m sure this is something that’s been said or asked many times in this forum, but I’ll ask it (again) anyway. Every time I see and/or read about this, it always manages to piss me off, making me wish I could knock some sense into people’s thoughtless brains.

A couple of days ago, I saw my little, 23-year-old brother watching a show that I hadn’t seen before, it’s called “Black Sails,” it’s about pirates, I’m not watching it either, didn’t caught my interest. Anyway, he says that he’s enjoying it, but his only complaint is that there’s a lot of sex. I told him at that moment, “Well, of course, it’s a show about pirates, so what did you expect? And what do you have against the sex scenes?” He responded with a half-decent answer, some of them are pointless and don’t move the plot that much, but then there are some that are the opposite and become important when critical information is given to the characters, he doesn’t see this and nevertheless considers them pointless. I told him that much of the violence from the show was also pointless too, he then said that it wasn’t and that it was awesome, I stopped talking to him after that. Just so you know, he’s the type of guy that doesn’t care about the story or characters, he just wishes for the worse to both the good and bad guys.

The following day, I encountered him watching the show again, didn’t pay attention to him nor to the show, I just went immediately to my room; by the way, I can see the living room’s TV from where I sit. I did some things in my laptop while peeking to the show every now and then, then out of nowhere, I heard him complain very loudly, all because a sex scene had started. Fast-forward a couple of hours later, now our mom was sitting in the living room reading something, she wasn’t paying attention to the TV at all, even when there was a very bloody fight between two pirate crews (Again, my brother thought that was cool), but she felt like saying something when she saw a woman riding a tied-up man (I think he was taken as a hostage), I don’t remember the small conversation she had with my brother, but again, she had to speak her mind because of that scene.

This whole thing reminded me of how people don’t have a problem with violence, but does with the sex. I have read about this whole phenomenon and read all sorts of answers as to why this is the popular opinion, “because there’s nothing fictitious about it;” “because it’s dangerous to perform in the real world than in fantasy;” “because our forefathers were Puritans;” “because Queen Elizabeth was crazy;” “because it teaches that sex feels good and encourages audiences to look for it;” etc. I amazes me a bit to see how stupid and ignorant people can be, if a show needs to have a PG-13 or R rating for other content that could disturb, I can understand, but there really isn’t anything to be shocked about sex, even kids can understand the act when given enough serious education. Why can’t people act like the adults they’re supposed to be during such scenes? It’s something that many have experienced already and why they feel the need to give privacy to fictional characters, that can’t possibly be aware of the audience watching them, is beyond me.

sex and or violence brings in the viewers

from the people I heard from more woman were hooked on SOA than men
I havent made it past the first two episodes

Latest posts

Back