I can't explain it to people around me without sounding whiny.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naizo

Reaction score
Constantly, day in and day out, I have to go to work and listen to these women go on and on about how they love to get messed, they love sex, how great their boyfriends are.

Single girls who claim to be huge sluts, like it's some sort of achievement.

How do I tell these people that I really don't want to hear this? I mean it's not like it should bother me. But it does. Since I haven't exactly been touched in so long, it agitates me to my god **** core. It makes me grit my ******* teeth so hard I imagine they're going to shatter. I -hate- these women. Why? Because they're the same ones who constantly ask me why I'm single, why I don't have anyone. I don't imagine they're trying to rub it in my face, but I don't know how to explain that I try so ******* hard only to get mocked inadvertently. Sometimes, I have to go outside and hide for a few moments and just cry.

I hate my life. I really do. I used to smile. But now I'm always saying "fresia you."

I think sometimes they act the slut because they think thats what guys want or its the level of maturity

when they ask you why ..ask them if they have any single friends ?

Naizo said:
Constantly, day in and day out, I have to go to work and listen to these women go on and on about how they love to get messed, they love sex, how great their boyfriends are.

How do I tell these people that I really don't want to hear this?

I don't know your work situation, but if it were me, there are only two options, and I don't see an immediate upside to either.

One option is to tell them that you are uncomfortable with their open talk about their sex lives and that it is creating a hostile work environment. The downside is that if they are young and immature, they will probably commence with mocking you. If that happens, talk to HR or your supervisor.

Or, the second option is to talk to HR or your supervisor. This is a form of sexual harassment whether these women know it or not. If you frame it with your supervisor as a harassment issue, maybe it will be taken seriously.

The third option is to hope your teeth don't shatter, and deal with it. But it seems like you are well past that point. Just know that you might make a barely tolerable situation much worse and that you may have to quit or at least request a transfer or an assignment away from these women. Be prepared for change no matter what you decide.

I wonder if some of the women are secretly very lonely and only joining in with the sex talk and exaggerating their own level of sexual and relationship experience because they don't want the others to find out how lonely they are and to mock them? People who are really happy in a relationship don't generally feel the need to discuss all of the intimate details with all and sundry. It's one thing to have the occasional laugh about it, but not to go on and on all the time about it. Personally I wouldn't complain about it because then they might mock you (as you fear) or they may shut up about it but whisper behind your back all the time, creating an even more stressful atmosphere for you. Could you look for another job?

Naizo said:
[...] these women go on and on about how they love to get messed, they love sex, how great their boyfriends are. [...]

They're bragging - they're on an all-time high. And if it all goes wrong for them they'll want your sympathy too!

Naizo said:

Are they telling this TO you or are you just overhearing it?

Would you feel the same way if it were MEN having a lot of sex like it was an achievement? I never really understood why men can go whoring around and no one really has a problem with it, but women can't. (Not saying you're thinking this, just speaking in general) Okay, side rant over :D

But, as for the rest of it, why do you let them get to you? Honestly, I would either tell them to fresia off, explain to them that you don't need to hear the lurid details of their sex life (as this is WORK, not your bedroom) or talk to someone higher up about it, since it's not very work appropriate.

Is it possible to wear headphones or earplugs or something? Anything else you could do to tune them out? Or even work in another area away from them? Not sure what you do, so I don't know if that's possible or not.

Case said:
Naizo said:

How do I tell these people that I really don't want to hear this?

I don't know your work situation, but if it were me, there are only two options, and I don't see an immediate upside to either.

One option is to tell them that you are uncomfortable with their open talk about their sex lives and that it is creating a hostile work environment. The downside is that if they are young and immature, they will probably commence with mocking you. If that happens, talk to HR or your supervisor.

Or, the second option is to talk to HR or your supervisor. This is a form of sexual harassment whether these women know it or not. If you frame it with your supervisor as a harassment issue, maybe it will be taken seriously.

The third option is to hope your teeth don't shatter, and deal with it. But it seems like you are well past that point. Just know that you might make a barely tolerable situation much worse and that you may have to quit or at least request a transfer or an assignment away from these women. Be prepared for change no matter what you decide.
Boy, this can't be serious.
May I ask you, behind whose skirt the supervisor hides when they are being "harassed" in their supervisor superworkplace? There must be some kind of omnipotent ultravisor, right?
Also, that's not sexual harassment. I mean, this crazy kindergarten culture may say whatever it wants, but that's not sexual harassment.
And yes, what will create a hostile environment for sure is snitching on your coworkers for nothing.

Naizo, you admitted it yourself that the reason it bothers you is that you don't have what they're bragging about.
It's you who have a problem, not them.
Also, they are most likely just making a lot of things up.
If a female has a real boyfriend, while talking to other female she will complain her ass out about how he doesn't call her according to the schedule she deems appropriate etc.
The more she praises him, the less real he is.

I mean honestly, I avoid watching sex on television and in films. Sex that doesn't involve me, of any sort, fictional or non, makes me uncomfortable. Because it's none of my business.

Of course, I have a problem, not them. If they were the ones with the problem, they would be complaining, not me. Are you serious with that line of thought, friend? Smh.

I have no intentions of "snitching" on anyone. But I'm pretty sure they wouldn't love the conversation so much if I stepped in and started talking about each individual vein on my cock. So please. If your entire point is "Why does it bother you? It shouldn't bother you. Stop letting it bother you." Then I don't need your advice at all, amale. Lol. Just because you deem what upsets me as "juvenile" doesn't mean it doesn't upset me or make the way I feel about it any less real. As I said.

Between my ex telling me she lost the baby only to turn around and put her ex's name on his birth certificate, and my first girlfriend ******* my dad without my knowing, YES, sex bothers me when it doesn't involve me. Thank you. I appreciate the honeysuckle tone you speak to others with. I hope it carries you far in life.

Naizo said:
I mean honestly, I avoid watching sex on television and in films. Sex that doesn't involve me, of any sort, fictional or non, makes me uncomfortable. Because it's none of my business.
If it really wasn't your business, it wouldn't bother you.

Naizo said:
I have no intentions of "snitching" on anyone. But I'm pretty sure they wouldn't love the conversation so much if I stepped in and started talking about each individual vein on my cock. So please. If your entire point is "Why does it bother you? It shouldn't bother you. Stop letting it bother you." Then I don't need your advice at all, amale. Lol. Just because you deem what upsets me as "juvenile" doesn't mean it doesn't upset me or make the way I feel about it any less real. As I said.
"Snitching" was my response to another poster's ridiculous "options", not to you.
"Why does it bother you? It shouldn't bother you", no; I understand this is a real problem for you. "Stop letting it bother you", yes. If you have a problem, you have to solve it.

Naizo said:
Of course, I have a problem, not them. If they were the ones with the problem, they would be complaining, not me. Are you serious with that line of thought, friend? Smh.
Yes, I'm serious, but my line of thought is that when something which shouldn't be your business bothers you that much, that means you have a problem with it.

Naizo said:
Between my ex telling me she lost the baby only to turn around and put her ex's name on his birth certificate, and my first girlfriend ******* my dad without my knowing, YES, sex bothers me when it doesn't involve me.
Come on, you obviously do have a problem.

Don't belittle people here or start with this gender stereotyping. It's not permitted here. Treat each other respectfully.

Of course I don't belittle him. I said he had a real problem.

TheRealCallie said:
Would you feel the same way if it were MEN having a lot of sex like it was an achievement? I never really understood why men can go whoring around and no one really has a problem with it, but women can't. (Not saying you're thinking this, just speaking in general) Okay, side rant over :D

I can think of two possible reasons.

1. Men have less direct investment in the creation of any offspring whereas for obvious biological reasons women are heavily invested in any children that they do have so this may create a biological imperative for them to be more sexually selective.

2. It's generally easier for a woman to sleep around but for a man to do it could indicate that he is skilled in pursuing the opposite sex.

Not condemning or defending this just looking at possible reasons why since you asked the question.

*Sigh.* What sparked this question in me was, honestly, being asked by a girl on Valentines Day why I didn't have anyone to make plans with, not even a "Fbuddy", after she had got done telling me about what she was doing with whoever for the evening.

Honestly, sorry for even asking or venting or whatever you would call it. Was a waste of time. I appreciate the input. Good or bad. But eh. Doesn't change anything.

amale said:
Also, that's not sexual harassment. I mean, this crazy kindergarten culture may say whatever it wants, but that's not sexual harassment.

You can deny it all you want, but this is a textbook case of sexual harassment. The OP is upset by the sexual talk AT WORK, which creates a hostile environment for the OP every time these coworkers talk about their sex lives. Knowledge of the offended party is not required for harassment to exist. So, ignorance that anyone would be offended is not a defense.

I know of no corporate HR department in my long history of employment that would not pounce on these women if a complaint were filed. It's rather obvious that sex should not be discussed at work. What kind of business allows this kind of personal, sexual banter regularly in a work environment? I don't know where the OP works, but if this is standard procedure, he either works where they have shitty harassment laws, or the company is just begging to be sued.

Case said:
amale said:

You can deny it all you want, but this is a textbook case of sexual harassment. The OP is upset by the sexual talk AT WORK, which creates a hostile environment for the OP every time these coworkers talk about their sex lives. Knowledge of the offended party is not required for harassment to exist. So, ignorance that anyone would be offended is not a defense.

I know of no corporate HR department in my long history of employment that would not pounce on these women if a complaint were filed. It's rather obvious that sex should not be discussed at work. What kind of business allows this kind of personal, sexual banter regularly in a work environment? I don't know where the OP works, but if this is standard procedure, he either works where they have shitty harassment laws, or the company is just begging to be sued.
I'm not saying that it's not in a textbook. My point is that any textbook will let you write whatever you want. This is what textbooks do. Flat Earth was once in all the textbooks.
The textbook itself is just ludicrous.
The very idea that you must have a teacher to "allow"/"disallow" a group of adult people to talk about things is pure nonsense. Yes, adult people sometimes talk about adult things like sex, which is an important part of their adult lives.
If you make them stop talking about their sex lives, you will make the environment uncomfortable for them, isn't this obvious? And if the whole group is comfortable with something, and just one person is not, it makes more sense to make just one of the group uncomfortable, and not everyone but one. Making the environment perfectly comfortable for everyone isn't always possible, because it's not a perfect world.
The OP has issues, apparently because of his messed up past experiences. The real solution is to solve those issues, not to punish everyone who triggers a painful reaction.
"Knowledge of the offended party is not required for harassment to exist." - this is just scary, for real.

amale said:
I'm not saying that it's not in a textbook. My point is that any textbook will let you write whatever you want. This is what textbooks do. Flat Earth was once in all the textbooks.
The textbook itself is just ludicrous.

My guess is you've never taken any sexual harassment training courses. I have worked in the corporate world for many years, and sexual harassment is a major liability for these companies, and they go to great lengths to stamp it out.

amale said:
The very idea that you must have a teacher to "allow"/"disallow" a group of adult people to talk about things is pure nonsense. Yes, adult people sometimes talk about adult things like sex, which is an important part of their adult lives.

You are mistaking this as a free speech stance when free speech has severe limits in a corporate environment. Outside the company's time, say what you want, but when it's work time, you stay away from any topic that can be considered divisive or controversial. Sex is the very last thing anyone should be discussing in a place of business, excepting the businesses who sell sex-related items, and even those businesses need to be careful about harassment.

amale said:
If you make them stop talking about their sex lives, you will make the environment uncomfortable for them, isn't this obvious?

No. You are also mistaking a work environment for a democracy where free speech is paramount. Corporations are a dictatorship. Your manager dictates how you must behave. If you don't behave in the way the managers dictates, you will be fired. Don't like it? Tough. And good luck finding an industry that does not adhere to harassment laws.

amale said:
And if the whole group is comfortable with something, and just one person is not, it makes more sense to make just one of the group uncomfortable, and not everyone but one. Making the environment perfectly comfortable for everyone isn't always possible, because it's not a perfect world.

You are using the logical fallacy known as "Argumentum ad populum," that being, if the majority agrees, then it is true or allowable. If an entire group behaves poorly, the one person who does not want to behave poorly is protected under the law, if not by company policy. Simply put, the majority does not rule if the behavior is harassing.

I don't know where you work, but you clearly are unaware of harassment laws as they pertain to companies. It may come as a shock to you that if one person is uncomfortable with the behavior of the majority, then corporations would rather side with the offended party and modify everyone else's behavior (if it is deemed that the offense falls outside company harassment policies, or it violates State harassment laws.) Harassment laws are set up to protect that one offended person, and frankly, no workplace should be creating a hostile work environment for anybody. If a group of people wish to give details about how much sex they've had, there is nothing stopping them from doing so on their own time. On corporate time, you adhere to their policies or risk unemployment.

amale said:
The OP has issues, apparently because of his messed up past experiences. The real solution is to solve those issues, not to punish everyone who triggers a painful reaction.

Whatever issues the OP has is utterly irrelevant to how he reacts to his co-workers' incessant, and inappropriate sexual talk, from a management point of view. A manager must look at the whole situation. First, sex talk in the workplace is universally understood to be verboten. Anyone who doesn't understand this is immature. If a company has no policy against this kind of immature workplace behavior, then the company is liable to be sued by the offended party, and they WILL lose because the employer failed to protect the victim from universally known behavior that is deemed inappropriate in any workplace.

amale said:
"Knowledge of the offended party is not required for harassment to exist." - this is just scary, for real.

Seriously? I suggest you read up on harassment in the workplace to understand a little more about what actually constitutes harassment. You'll be surprised what you thought you knew was acceptable and what is not. As a former manager, I have had to deal with this issue enough that I know how corporations think. They don't care about your precious free speech while you are on the clock. They only care about peace in the workplace so that everyone can get their work done with the least amount of drama. If people do not comply with policy, they get written up. If they persist in violating company policy, they are dismissed with cause. If you oppose the company's policies, you are more than welcome to quit, sue, call the local TV station, and find another job. If I was a manager in the OP's position, I would have a one-on-one sit-down with each of the women, describe the unprofessional behavior they have exhibited, explain that this talk might be okay at their home or in a bar but not at work, spell out the company policy on harassment, and call it a verbal warning. The next violation will be a written warning with a witness, and the next violation would result in immediate termination. This is the corporate philosophy on harassment. No tolerance. You either stop it, or you find other work.

I happily let it kill me inside a little every day just so they don't feel like they shouldn't speak their minds, which is their right to do so. But, when I get agitated enough that I throw something, I obviously become the problem that makes -them- feel uncomfortable. Really, the situation is, do they shut the fresia up about something that has no business being spoken about in a work environment, such as sex, or religion, or do I get fired because I'm "immature." and scare them when I get angry?

I'd never hit a person. And I try my best not to interfere in the lives of others. But I've explained it to them. They know I'm a lonely guy. They know I don't care whether or not I find someone. Just hearing about it? When it has nothing to do with me, is annoying. That's all.

I'm not going to quit my job because I love my job, and I love the people that work there, including those who speak openly about their sex lives. But honestly. If I'm not included, I don't want to hear it. It's a very laid back place. We enjoy working there. All of us. Trust me. Lol.

I just have issues.

These young women think you’re attractive enough to speculate on why you aren't in a relationship. Why not take it as a compliment? Then maybe suggest they keep it between themselves on their breaks (better than throwing stuff anyway).

I wouldn't invoke the harassment policies unless pushed. Workplaces are depressing enough as it is.

xD I realize this has gone completely off track and doesn't really belong in this thread anymore. :( Sorry .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back