A Suicide

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SofiasMami

Reaction score
Someone in my circle of friends back in my hometown posted a cryptic message on Facebook on Monday. He said he lost a friend that day and he was sorry he couldn't save him.

I asked my friend what happened as I'm far away and out of the loop with my old friends.
He sent me a private message and said he was on the phone with his friend (I didn't know him) on Monday and his friend shot himself. He rushed at top speed to his friend's home but it was too late.
I feel bad for my friend and I hope he will be ok. I told him I'll be checking on him.

A close friend of mine committed suicide a few years ago. I believe it was a completely impulsive act. I used to ask myself "why" when I hear about a suicide but I know there is never really a satisfactory answer to that question. It's still hard not to ask why though.

-Teresa

Hugs Teresa
suicide is so random ..we will never understand

Wow. Having someone I considered a good friend doing it in 2013 and someone I knew doing it recently was bad enough but I can't imagine actually being on the phone with the person when they do it. That is rough...

My condolences, although I don't think suicide is random and not understandable. People commit suicide when they hurt so much they need to escape from bad circumstances they feel are hopeless or to escape mental illnesses like depression. At one point I didn't understand it either and thought it was selfish, until I found myself reaching a breaking point and thinking about overdosing on a relative's pills one day. I walked to the cabinet and then turned around. It was brief and only happened once, but for that moment, suicide suddenly became a terrifyingly real option to me although it never had before. I can't speak of how others process these experiences when they have them, but this was mine.

Since this was posted in the Depression section of the forum where readers may be struggling with mental illness and suicidal thoughts, please know that you are not alone.

Hotline numbers: http://www.suicide.org/international-suicide-hotlines.html
How to help a suicidal person: http://www.suicide.org/how-to-help-a-suicidal-person.html

I'm so sorry, Teresa. I hope your friend is coping alright.

Sometimes we're unhappy in a way that we believe nothing can fix, and then we make that terrible final choice. I hope your friend will get through this in one piece. I can't even comprehend what goes through someone's mind after an experience like that. Will he be getting trauma counselling, Teresa?

Oh no. You have my condolences. A friend of mine committed suicide years ago too.

I too want to ask whether he will be getting trauma counseling. Speaking to a friend about the experience can be helpful and you're going to check on him, which means you can listen to him. I imagine your friend may be feeling guilty that he couldn't save his friend. He would need help to let the guilt go. I know it is tough for you too seeing how your friend feels now.

Hopefully your friend feels well soon.

I'm sorry to hear about that, Teresa. That's the rippling effect of suicide. It touches friends of friends, too. It's good that you are checking on your friend. I'm sure he'll appreciate that. And I think it's okay to ponder the "why" question of suicide.

I think there would be much less suicides if the victims knew just how much permanent pain their one act causes years later. This isn't an effort to blame anyone, because I know that someone who does that is most likely only trying to stop the pain, not thinking about the pain that is created by their suicide.

Anyway, I wish your friend the best of health in the coming days.

I'm sorry that your friend is going through this and that you yourself had to experience such tragedy in the past. I wish someone had been there to help the people who had felt lost and hopeless. One can only imagine the extend of their pain.

I'm not sure if my friend has sought or been offered counseling. I'm going to ask him though. Occasionally law enforcement here calls a chaplain to come to the scene of a tragedy to speak with the survivors or witnesses. I'm not sure if that was done in this situation though.

edamame721 said:
Since this was posted in the Depression section of the forum where readers may be struggling with mental illness and suicidal thoughts, please know that you are not alone.

Hotline numbers: http://www.suicide.org/international-suicide-hotlines.html
How to help a suicidal person: http://www.suicide.org/how-to-help-a-suicidal-person.html

That's a very good idea to post that here, edamame, thank you.

-Teresa

I'm sorry that your friend is having to go through this, Teresa, but I don't agree that suicide is 'random or 'impulsive'. I think that most people who attempt suicide have thought about it long and hard prior to putting their plan into action, but their pain is not always evident, so it may appear to have come out of the blue when viewed from the outside.

I hope that your friend can somehow come to terms with all of this, although I cannot imagine that it will be easy.

I'm so sorry. Suicide is a horrible thing to experience, I agree with @edamame721 "People commit suicide when they hurt so much they need to escape from bad circumstances they feel are hopeless or to escape mental illnesses like depression." You never really know what people are going through so always try to be understanding and empathetic, it's funny how it's always the broken souls that are always trying to help others but it's true, we know so we can relate.

I knew a girl that commited suicide not long ago, we were both voluntiring at the same hospital, but we werent really close. We shared some intressets and love the same music, we hanged out a few times and drank coffee or beer after the shift, but we never talked about ourselfes, i mean our personal life. We mostly talked about our points of views of views on the world and life. We used to joke about suicide alot.
One day she killed herself, never find out why.
Sometimes i think about her.
As far as i know it wasnt becouse of some emotional desstress but more a kind of feeling that "ive had enough of this life".

Latest posts

Back