Health as a Hobby

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelySutton

Reaction score
One thing that really interests me is health. I mean not just like the mainstream media health... but I like advanced health. I like to search on the internet for less well known facts that will insure my health. And of course I believe a few things.

- I hate doctors. I used to think I hated the medical world but I find most doctors so arrogant and mostly wrong. And i am tried of it.
- I hate mainstream medical information. Which is wrong and imho, calculated to kill many people.
- I hate the idea that people have that they can't possibly understand things about their health. "I am not a doctor"... I feel that 90% of medical information can be understood by any normal person.
- sometimes I get upset when I go to like a diet board and see horrible information being given out. And I can give them better quality info and they do better. It isn't giving medical advice. It is saying -- have you seen this fact? Have you seen this study?

Anyone else?

I would like to avoid taking any pills and factory produced medicine because I'm afraid of the damage they may have on my health after a long time. It makes me sad that I sometimes see people around me don't care about it at all; For instance, they take so many painkillers only for their headache.

Hopetracer said:
I would like to avoid taking any pills and factory produced medicine because I'm afraid of the damage they may have on my health after a long time.

Yes I take no pills whatsoever but I have a beno (Ativan) prescription for sleep. But I take it only when necessary and I have done my research and I don't see it as a problem at my very low dose. And of course, getting this drug is brutally hard. So I know it works without side effects.

But it is terrifying. My SIL's mom told me she just got a prescription for Ativan. I was under the impression that it was dangerous for elderly to take benos but I am afraid to tell my SIL because she is such a doctor / medical groupie. She wouldn't listen and would just get mad at me.

I was talking to this girl on a dieting website and after going on a diet her cholesterol went way up. This happened to me. Her doctor just plopped her on cholesterol meds. Which frankly are very dangerous to your health. This happened to me and my doctor wanted to do that but refused. It seemed illogical that it would go up on a diet so I asked her to find another way. After a lot of discussion she suggested a different kind of cholesterol test which would tell her if the cholesterol I had was "low density" and thus dangerous. It is called VLDL. Turned out that out of my LDL only 20% was VLDL and thus dangerous. Thus the "extra" cholesterol was the large fluffy kind that wasn't really dangerous.

In the end the numbers went down when I stopped dieting.

This poor girl on the diet site just got put on dangerous drugs for the rest of her life because her doctor's lazyness or medical protocols.

Not to mention that I don't believe cholesterol causes heart disease...

Until I hit the turn of this decade of my life, I blissfully ignored pretty much all things medical, except to experiment with some controlled substances; yes, I had scrips. Now, with various pains and swollen interior parts and bursa, I need solutions or at least panaceas. When the podiatrist proposed cutting off a part of my left heel to solve the bursitis, that didn't scare me- detaching my achilles tendon to reach the heel did, not to mention the six weeks' time on crutches while the tendon reattaches. All that for an inflamed sack, er, sac of fluid. That experience sent me on a quest to find what else might work. Long story short...I found some things that, so far, seem to work...old-fashioned stuff like ice, elevation, compression, rest.

Next stop, neck pain. I'm told it's really all about weak muscles in my back. Or my brain's too heavy :^)

LonelySutton said:
- I hate doctors. I used to think I hated the medical world but I find most doctors so arrogant and mostly wrong. And i am tried of it.
- I hate mainstream medical information. Which is wrong and imho, calculated to kill many people.

I'm curious. If you hate doctors, and you don't trust mainstream medical information, where do you go if you get injured or sick, and what medical information do you espouse to others? Maybe this will help me understand your POV better.

Case said:
I'm curious. If you hate doctors, and you don't trust mainstream medical information, where do you go if you get injured or sick, and what medical information do you espouse to others? Maybe this will help me understand your POV better.

The internet of course. Thank GOD for the internet. Most of the time the information my doctor give me is not complete. If I get a drug I always look it up before I take it. I always look for natural alternatives. If I am injured or sick of course I go to the doctor but they think I should just roll over and let them do whatever and I always say... no, tell me more, explain yourself more, and they really hate that.

There are many medical data bases on line where you can look up your own medical information from clinical studies -- pub med being among the most widely known. But you know, I have seen many clincial studies done in such a way to get the results the people want so I don't always 100% listen to them. There are many health blogs where you can get a morsel of information that can then just blow you away.

Also, I am not a believer in getting sick. I am a believer in avoiding getting sick so I like to look for ways to do that.

So a few years ago I was wondering why not everyone who ate carbs got diabetes. I kept looking and there was some discussion of insulin resistance causing insulin not to be able to "turn the key" of the cells and allow glucose into the cell. But to me it just doesn't make sense that your body would just start failing like that from over use. The human body is amazingly strong. So I decided to look up if there were things in the blood stream that could cause the insulin receptors to be blocked, and, yes, yes, there it was right in-front of me. Calcium. High Intracell calcium is associated with Insulin Resistance. And of course this makes sense because it is a fact that things that assist calcium in being absorbed into your bones and not sent into your blood stream, is shown to assist with Insulin Resistance. Magnesium and Vitamin D.

I seriously think there are just tons of raw information on the internet that anyone can find and use. Because the establishment is out in left field. I like to read about this stuff and search for my own theories.

LonelySutton said:
So I decided to look up if there were things in the blood stream that could cause the insulin receptors to be blocked, and, yes, yes, there it was right in-front of me. Calcium. High Intracell calcium is associated with Insulin Resistance. And of course this makes sense because it is a fact that things that assist calcium in being absorbed into your bones and not sent into your blood stream, is shown to assist with Insulin Resistance. Magnesium and Vitamin D.

Interesting. I have a friend who is a clinical dietitian specializing in the study of diabetes, and I'm sure she would be interested in this. I bolded the Magnesium and Vitamin D because I want to ask if taking these supplements are the key to lowering insulin resistance, based on your research. And if they are actually assisting resistance, what is the solution?

Case said:
Interesting. I have a friend who is a clinical dietitian specializing in the study of diabetes, and I'm sure she would be interested in this. I bolded the Magnesium and Vitamin D because I want to ask if taking these supplements are the key to lowering insulin resistance, based on your research. And if they are actually assisting resistance, what is the solution?

Don't bother, I am sure she would cite some ADA (American diabetes association) approved reason this couldn't possibly be. I suppose I don't blame people in the industry because they think they have been told the right thing but they only read what the industry allows them to and don't have an open mind. But for me and my health... going to take common sense steps.

Did you know the American Diabetes Association still recommends a high carb diet? They are that far behind.

Based on my theory there are several things you can do to eat carbs to your hearts content and NOT get diabetes.

1. Stop taking Supplemental Calcium. You get enough in your food. Don't have a multi with it added.
2. Start taking co factors that allow the calcium you do have to get into your bones. These co factors include - Vitamin D, Magnesium, Vitamin K2 (also known as MK-7). Vitamin D, Magnesium and K2 are all hard to get in food.

Everyone assumed that the high carb diet that became popular in the 90s and on was responsible for diabetes. In part it was. But during that time people started supplementing with calcium and even if you didn't, it was added to foods and multivitamins. Calcium wasn't being absorbed, was getting in the blood and blocking cell receptors for insulin. This lead to insulin not being able to "attach" to the insulin receptors -- the insulin could not turn the key and allow sugar into the cell. This allowed both insulin and glucose to stay in the blood. ie, Insulin resistance. Eventually if not corrected, diabetes results.

Clear the junk out of the insulin receptors and they work when normal output of insulin. Insulin opens the cell, glucose goes in, we are all good.

I bet I could induce diabetes in someone by over feeding them calcium and carbs.

Interesting thread.

I have a family full of diabetics. Luckily, I haven't got it (though I'd probably get it sometime in my life). I'll have a look at the info you have guven about it.

As for me, I tend to rely on medication for many things. I have rheumatoid arthritis, hypothyroidism, psychosis (schizophrenia on paper, but haven't been told), amongst other things.

I haven't really researched etc on alternatives to the medications I am taking, because I don't really trust the internet that much.

One thing that concerns me reading is that, anti-psychotics that treat psychosis, cuts down life expectancy by about 10 years with long term use. It's something I really need to look into and something I need to ask the professionals too. I hope to stop taking that medication when I feel stable for some time.

Latest posts

Back