Facebook - "FAKE" friends - I just deleted my account for good! Yaaay!!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLonelyNomad

Reaction score
Hey fellow ALL brothers and sisters. It's been a while since I am able to post here, because of my new job, and how it's taking a toll on my life.

Anyhow....

I have had my FB account for almost three years. I started my own FB account as I transferred to a different college campus because I was bullied and ostracized at my former school. Oh well, I let by-gones be by-gones.

To make a long story short, there were some so-called "friends" who took me off their friend list, so I went ahead and did the same thing to them last year. I hardly even log on to this garbage website.

People who use FB, instagram, snap shot (snap chat...whatever the heck you call it), and other "social" media softwares tend to like to brag a lot. Post pictures of their weddings. Post pictures of their babies. Post pictures of their girlfriend or BF, or fiance. F--k that! I don't even have a girlfriend right now. I broke up with my last girlfriend last year in June. She said that she could not understand my occupation of switching shifts between day shifts and overnight/NOC shifts. Eversince then, I had no significant others to be with.

The tipping point that led me to delete my FB account for good was I sent a former nursing school classmate Jennifer, to help me find a job within the hospital she currently works at. She started off in the float pool as a nurse aide, and then within FOUR months, she was promoted to an RN position. Rather than respond to my message, she completely ignored my messages, and "updated" her status last week Friday. WTF? Rather than help me find a job within her company, she completely ignored me. Do you call that a friend? Hell no!

I have also sent messages to other so-called FB "friends" to check on how they're doing in life, where they're working, and one of my former bar drinking friend on my FB "friend" list doesn't even respond these days. Oh well. :(

So okay guys, that's all the rant I have for now. I'm just pissed off with life, how my current SNF rehab nursing job is taking a big bite out of my free time, and my career is not going the path that I want it to go.

The main issue with social media, regardless of the app/site, is people choose to show only the "greatest hits" or highlights of their lives. Having kids or significant others isn't an indication they're automatically in a better position than you. Usually, it's the opposite. I've gotten to the point where I've cut out or ignore most people on Facebook. The site has become nicer to use now.

Regarding your classmate Jennifer, were you two really close? Did she indicate at all she would help you find a job?

I've threatened to delete FB in the past , but I realized I get more positivity from it than negativity. When I see someone post something happy, I chalk it up to that person wanting to share their happy moment with family and friends. I don't see it as bragging or some mean-spirited attempt to compete with anyone else's life. Then again, I have some pretty cool friends on FB, so I know they are good people. Otherwise, they would not be on my friends list.

Yesterday, I posted the lyrics to a song by a band that I listen to whenever I am depressed. It's like code to my closest friends that I'm not doing well. People who don't know the real meaning of my post will happily hit "Like" completely unaware that they are inadvertently liking the fact that I am suffering. It doesn't bother me. I know that some people just like anything and everything regardless of whether they understand the post. At least I know a few people get it. But I try not to take FB too seriously. Most of the posts I see are just the newer version of the old ritual of sitting at a friend's house while they set up the slide projector and show you 3000 photos they took from their trip to Cancun. Honestly, these people are simply excited and want to share that excitement with others. If I'm not in the mood to see something happy, I just hide the post. Simple.

reynard_muldrake said:
The main issue with social media, regardless of the app/site, is people choose to show only the "greatest hits" or highlights of their lives. Having kids or significant others isn't an indication they're automatically in a better position than you. Usually, it's the opposite. I've gotten to the point where I've cut out or ignore most people on Facebook. The site has become nicer to use now.

Absolutely. I have always accepted that. I use my facebook as sort of like a billboard for people to learn who I am really. Since I am a loner and kind of shy it is a non-pushy way to do that.

Rather than help me find a job within her company, she completely ignored me. Do you call that a friend? Hell no!

Maybe she doesn't know what to say and can't really get you one. My cousin always pms me the schedule of the conservatory (that she loves and I do not) after responding a few times I just stopped. I feel like she should get the message. I have nothing to say anymore but, I don't like that why don't you understand?

I think facebook can be a helpful thing. A lot of my "friends" are work friends and I always have something to say that I know they will also have in common because I saw something on their facebook feed. It has made me closer with a lot of them. If they were afraid I was snobby or not down to earth they see all the jokes I post and likes of support and they get a much more approachable picture. I think it has helped a lot.

What I think is more terrifying is when you think you have a wide circle of real life friends and then you find out those real life friends do not care at all about you. Hey I can expect that with facebook, it is sort of implied, but in real life, that is much worse.

I've had a Facebook account for a few years. I created it after I left uni and someone invited me to it. So I thought why not.

i only use it for facebook groups I'm in. Rather than keeping in touch with my Facebook friends.

reynard_muldrake said:
Regarding your classmate Jennifer, were you two really close? Did she indicate at all she would help you find a job?

^^ Good point. No, we weren't really close. Plus I left that school because of issues with an instructor and the administration of the college wasn't doing much to help me succeed.

However, I do want her help, as she found a decent job where they're training her well. Me, on the other hand, am being gassed to death at my current job, overworked, working as an SNF rehab nurse. So much paperwork, patient care, patient falling down. I want to switch to another similar type of job in acute care this year. So unfortunate how my life is turning out.

Alone By Faults said:
I support op 100 percent in this

Why Thank you, Alone by Faults!

facebook, instagram, twitter, all junk softwares where people only brag about their vacation, their marriage, their parties (note some of the pictures where you're left out, because you weren't invited), like I give a f--k about their successes. Life is so sad how things are turning out for me. My job, my loneliness, still single. ....life sux.

LonelySutton said:
Maybe she doesn't know what to say and can't really get you one. My cousin always pms me the schedule of the conservatory (that she loves and I do not) after responding a few times I just stopped. I feel like she should get the message. I have nothing to say anymore but, I don't like that why don't you understand?

Well, she can at least tell me who her manager is, so that I can contact her manager and ask questions about being a potential employee at that organization which she works at. But yes, I lost contact with her after I transferred out of the school. Looks like my job outlook in my area is not good. Time for a move. Unfortunately, I don't have the $$$ to move away, and still live with parents. Sucks. =(

I'm REALLY thinking about deleting my facebook profile again. I did it several times, but unfortunately, by the time, I needed it for College and stuff. Also, at the moment, this is the only way to communicate with people from my hobby.

But aside from that, lots of times, it not only makes me sad, but really, really angry how people behave in general and what they post and like.

Maybe I should just "de-follow" everyone and everything and use it for communication only?

gluguy said:
I'm REALLY thinking about deleting my facebook profile again. I did it several times, but unfortunately, by the time, I needed it for College and stuff. Also, at the moment, this is the only way to communicate with people from my hobby.

But aside from that, lots of times, it not only makes me sad, but really, really angry how people behave in general and what they post and like.

Maybe I should just "de-follow" everyone and everything and use it for communication only?

Just 'unfollow' the people who get on your nerves.
You have complete control of what you see.

Case said:
I've threatened to delete FB in the past , but I realized I get more positivity from it than negativity. When I see someone post something happy, I chalk it up to that person wanting to share their happy moment with family and friends. I don't see it as bragging or some mean-spirited attempt to compete with anyone else's life. Then again, I have some pretty cool friends on FB, so I know they are good people. Otherwise, they would not be on my friends list.

Yesterday, I posted the lyrics to a song by a band that I listen to whenever I am depressed. It's like code to my closest friends that I'm not doing well. People who don't know the real meaning of my post will happily hit "Like" completely unaware that they are inadvertently liking the fact that I am suffering. It doesn't bother me. I know that some people just like anything and everything regardless of whether they understand the post. At least I know a few people get it. But I try not to take FB too seriously. Most of the posts I see are just the newer version of the old ritual of sitting at a friend's house while they set up the slide projector and show you 3000 photos they took from their trip to Cancun. Honestly, these people are simply excited and want to share that excitement with others. If I'm not in the mood to see something happy, I just hide the post. Simple.

Yes we shouldn't let facebook bother us.
Like yourself I 'hide' many posts. All the boring ones with bottles of wine or ******* selfies. And you can 'unfollow' somebody.

It's handy when you need to get in touch with somebody rather than digging out their e mail address.

Triple Bogey said:
Case said:

Yes we shouldn't let facebook bother us.
Like yourself I 'hide' many posts. All the boring ones with bottles of wine or ******* selfies. And you can 'unfollow' somebody.

It's handy when you need to get in touch with somebody rather than digging out their e mail address.

I did it: decided to unfollow everyone but the groups I'm actually interested in. The whole site is much, much better now. I encourage everyone who feels like "deleting themselves" to do the same.

gluguy said:
I did it: decided to unfollow everyone but the groups I'm actually interested in. The whole site is much, much better now. I encourage everyone who feels like "deleting themselves" to do the same.

I did the unfollow thing - it feels like decluttering - should've done it a long time ago!

Ive recently unfollowed a few people, life is much better without annoying opinions on the 3 top world dramas every freaking day, ....religion race and sexuality. Like enough already.

stork_error said:
Ive recently unfollowed a few people, life is much better without annoying opinions on the 3 top world dramas every freaking day, ....religion race and sexuality. Like enough already.

I'm sure if you had me on Facebook then you'd be unfollowing me quickly enough. Though I don't post so often these days.

Social media in general is not good for the human brain. It has ruined the concept of friendship most likely forever, and is really a waste of time anyway. If you can't stop yourself from using sites like Facebook then deactivate or delete your account. You will be happier a person.

Also get rid of your smartphone.

I've temporarily deactivated Facebook a few times, but keep it to sometimes check on people who I've grown apart with (mostly it's because they moved) but have fond memories of. I usually wish them happy birthday or like some of their posts but otherwise, I do find it lonely and alienating.

The first time I met my cousin's new partner was at a funeral...and now she wants to be friends on Facebook. I exchanged maybe three words with her. I didn't even know he had gotten married. I can do without a fake Facebook relationship to cover up for reality.

Focus on yourself and your life. Focus on your career. Sounds like you are newly minted to your field. Get as much experience as you can. Be enthusiastic and hard working. While this may not be the job you want for the long term, you should cultivate good relationships at work and network. And, begin your search for a job more to your liking. Just because your classmate works at the hospital doesn't mean she can do anything to help you get a job there. If you want a job there, then go to the hospital and fill out an application and get that underway.
As for your social life, find things that you enjoy and go do them. Fishing, hiking, biking, crafts, music, cooking, etc. Enjoy and forget about them. The way i deal with it, is that if the friendship becomes a one way street, then i stop contacting that person. If there is NO effort on their part, then you don't need it.

Latest posts

Back