Therapy and treatment experience

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estrus

Reaction score
Hi all.

Was wondering what everyone's experience has been with getting help outside.

Currently going to a group therapy sort of thing. Am reluctant to go on meds because they have not been too helpful in the past. The therapists I had were not very helpful either and I barely got to see them. It cost too much money too. Even though social groups give me anxiety I strangly like going to this and found that I learned way more from listening to other people with mental health issues (a few with way worse stuff going on than me).

Talking and opening up is still awkward. Feel like I'm being judged in a bad way. Regardless I'm surprised I like it....feel like I got more out of it somehow.

Anywho....would like to know what has helped/not helped you with depression.

if its working for you ..its working
sometimes I think group setting helps knowing and hearing other people are messed too

the only person that can give them the right to judge you is you

I have done one on one and hated it .. not sure it made any difference

Talking to someone helped me see things in my previous abusive situation clearly. It helped me get out of that situation and at the same time helped me heal and get better. I think it really depends who you talk to, if they're compatible and if the therapist/counsellor/etc is genuine with helping you, giving you realistic and good advice.

It differs with different people though. Some people will tell you that they've had horrible experiences. You can't know if it's good for you until you try it for yourself. Also, there are so many out there, can't give up on the first one that fails either.

Wishing you the best of luck, let us know how it goes for you. Take care!

Thanks for the input all. :)

Going to keep doing what I'm doing with group. Once I have my finances in order I might give the one-on-one a try again. Guess I'm going to have to be patient with all this....

It takes a lot of time to find the treatment / therapy you need. In my case, a lot of work. Just because someone is a licensed therapist, it doesn't automatically guarantee that they will be a good fit to help you in your situation.
It does get frustrating, but do not give up!

Thanks. My reluctance is mostly due to high costs that i am not willing to pay. This will sound immature as hell but it really pisses me off. The unfairness that i have to spend all this money because i'm like this and other people aren't. But I guess it boils down to choices and doing what is necessary. Nowadays the worst part is the lack of energy.

I'm in the same boat, I know I need help and that I need to get better. Lately my depression has been taking the best of me, I started to search for psychiatrist within my healthcare network but I'm very hesitant. I want to get better so bad that I'm willing to do anything to get rid of my anxiety attacks and depression but I'm afraid that it may not help and the hope I have will be shattered.

Estrus said:
Thanks. My reluctance is mostly due to high costs that i am not willing to pay. This will sound immature as hell but it really pisses me off. The unfairness that i have to spend all this money because i'm like this and other people aren't. But I guess it boils down to choices and doing what is necessary. Nowadays the worst part is the lack of energy.

Oh I totally feel you on this.

I didn't have a choice to "get help" - it came to me, and it did a lot more to hurt me than anything else. There are always third parties involved in these things and they will not care one bit about your own interests. I also doubt that short of destroying yourself and being replaced with someone different, they can do a whole lot.

Drugs are a crapshoot at best because, again, success is not determined by you, and you do not get a say in what doctors prescribe. Any attempt to act in your own interests is seen as manipulation. You have to do a lot of research on these drugs and know yourself well enough, because the shrinks sure as hell aren't going to help you with that.

I'm at the end of my rope and put in the call for "help", but only because I am left with no other way out of this prison, and have to undo the damage years of coerced interventions have done to me. It's either this or wait for the day I'm hauled into a group home or worse. It's very likely the end result will be exactly that. Such a thing would be worse than death, and no one will care one bit about it. I expect nothing better from people. It is a god-damned nightmare that I have to be so manipulative just to survive this, but if you're like me there is nothing else. There never will be anything else, not in this world anyway.

I don't know what you're dealing with, but more people need to be out of the trap, not in it. The only reason someone should voluntarily do this is if they need to prove their sanity against a charge of insanity brought against them. It really is just a parallel court system. I was too stupid to see it until it was too late.

there is no hope said:
It is a god-damned nightmare that I have to be so manipulative just to survive this, but if you're like me there is nothing else.
According to what I've learned/experienced, our entire society seems to be built upon manipulation. Everything from the ground up. And when you exist on the fringes of society, whether you're put there of your own accord or not, manipulation just seems to become a fundamental part of survival. And pretty much anyone who isn't manipulative just get left behind. That seems to be the way of the world. 'Good guys finish last' and all that.
So why the hell should you feel bad about it!? They have forced our hands.
I don't feel bad about it at all. Sometimes I think people actually deserve it.

A while back I got to the point where I'm just sick and tired of this world that I actually started enjoying manipulating the manipulators. Now it's really all I can ever think about anymore. I decided if this is the way things would be, then why not be the very best? If I'm going to play the game, why not play it to win it?

But I digress...
I've thought about 'getting help' before, but I honestly don't think there's anything someone could do for me. How could they? I know myself the best. So if I can't help myself then no one else can either.

For people who don't feel they know themselves, don't trust themselves, have had life-issues they refused to face, have no direction in life, or generally just feel that someone else could help them sort things out in their life, I think therapy may be very good for them if they found the right person/people to talk to. I just happen to not really have any of the above problems myself. I have... other issues.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, I've got tons of therapists in my family. So therapy has always been an interesting topic to me.

---

The thing about theraphists is that they are people too and if you just don't have natural chemistry with them then it is hard for you to build relationship with them for the theraphy to work. I started seeing theraphist about 6 months ago and it has been immense help for me and I wish I had started going sooner instead try to figure out everything on my own.

Also when it comes to medication I can say that it has helped me aswell. My depression was severe enough for me to have strong urges to end my own life and after I started taking meds I'm more balanced. They kinda average out your emotions in my experience so the good things don't feel as good, but atleast I don't go so low anymore as I used to.

I'm 40, and have gone to therapists on and off since I was 17. In those 23 years, I've seen over 25 different therapists. And while some were slightly better than others, as a whole, it hasn't helped very much at all. I would even say that most of them have made me feel worse, increasing the feeling of helplessness, increasing the feeling that nobody really cares. With most of them, I felt as though I was just a name on a file. Nothing more. A lot of them told me to just accept it, or to just get over it. Others said that there was nothing they could do to help. All gave up. And that is a very, very devastating feeling when someone says that, pretty much, you're a lost cause. When you've been to groups, done all the cognitive therapy stuff, and things just don't improve. There really is the feeling that there is no way out. That you aren't worth anything, no matter how much you think you are worth something ... it all feels empty when there's nobody to share it with.

There is a harsh class bias in psychotherapy. If you're in a terrible social position like I am, the therapist automatically assumes that you deserve your poor station and actively sabotages you, based on their assumptions of where you belong. I would imagine there is a great deal of racism as well... I get it bad enough just for being white trash, imagine the therapist's assumptions about a black man or an asian. When their position renders them immune to any criticism and the therapist can make life-destroying threats against someone, it's a scheme ripe for abuse. I can't say I've ever found a single shred of good from that honeysuckle.

I'm currently receiving medication, and the psychiatrist tried to arrange a therapist appointment. I'm doing everything I can to not have to go through it while receiving the drugs (which, at this point, I need). I'm still nervous about what he will do when he reads any of my medical records, because it's very likely I'll lose access to drugs due to my inability to explain what the f is going on; or worse, because of ASD he's going to push me into a group home or some other total nightmare, because he is obligated to and because I don't comply with the hidden rules of the game. It can get even worse, too, because I'm basically unable to hold down an actual job. My life has been destroyed because of their previous "help", wouldn't surprise that they take away what little I have left.

I never had a choice before I was screened out of life. I never asked to go through the nightmare I had to live through as a kid, or the nightmares and bullshit I have to deal with today. I never wanted any of this to be my life when I was growing up. Only out of utter desperation did I dare go back, and I'm probably going to put through more Hell for having the temerity to say that what I went through was traumatizing and totally because other people chose to kick me around. The profession isn't allowed to criticize others who act like intolerable ********.

At least now I don't hear as much screaming in my head. I feel like a zombie and my sexual ability is wrecked, but by now I don't care. That is all there is.

If I weren't in a legal bind, I would NOT be doing any of this, and would tell anyone to run like hell from these people unless you're prepared and doing so with an actual plan. If your legal status is valid and intact, there is absolutely no reason to go through this, except to clear your name (which is getting harder every single day, due to the insane mental health code and this society's embrace of totalitarianism).

The hilarious thing about all of this is that the actual, physical issues with my brain and body are completely irrelevant, because the doctors need to cover their medical malpractice / their belief that I should have been aborted. If they stopped justifying everyone else's shitty behavior and I were permitted to defend myself in a reasonable way, none of this would be happening... but in a world of eugenics, facts don't matter. Only power matters. They won, and they keep winning. I lose and will always lose. I don't need to pay some ******* to ram that in my head and threaten me any time I get too uppity.

I can only hope the outcome of this is not as bad as I dread. I'll keep expecting the worst until I have proof that it won't be.

Latest posts

Back