My life, what to do?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeFTW

Reaction score
Its 11:47, i am confused, lonely and have a headache so here we go. My life has been fine for the past few months after a divorce and years of having a honeysuckle life, i want to know where to go with my life. I am 17 and have no meaning to my life, looking from a religious prospective i have not found what my calling is for lack of a better term. I don't want to goto collage because i just believe its a waste of time and money, i don't know what i want to do with my life. Why am i here, what is life, what are we? All these questions and no real answer, i believe in god but i still wonder at night, why?

I need direction.

I think that you need to talk to someone who will listen and not tell you what to do with your life but who will let you thrash the issue out and figure it out for yourself. Being confused at 17 is normal-most people at this age are uncertain about what they want to do with their lives. And the philosophical questions you are asking about why we are here are also normal. I wouldn't look to someone to actually give you direction as you could end up doing what they want you to do. You had to look inwards.

Tiina63 said:
I think that you need to talk to someone who will listen and not tell you what to do with your life but who will let you thrash the issue out and figure it out for yourself. Being confused at 17 is normal-most people at this age are uncertain about what they want to do with their lives. And the philosophical questions you are asking about why we are here are also normal. I wouldn't look to someone to actually give you direction as you could end up doing what they want you to do. You had to look inwards.
I know that it is quite normal but i have nobody to talk to and i just want some answers.

I'm sorry you are feeling the way you are. 17 is an age that these types of questions tend to come up, such as, "what to do with my life", "what's my path"....etc. Its normal to feel this way, and you are not alone in how you feel.

Do you have any family that you can reach out to? Maybe you could talk with a guidance or adjustment counselor at school and see what they have to say.

No one can *give* you answers, but they can help you to find the answers on your own.

I wish you luck.

You seem to be looking for religious or spiritual guidance? Well, I'm somewhat studied in Theology, so I guess I will give it a try...

BadgeFTW said:
Why am i here, what is life, what are we? All these questions and no real answer
There are pretty easy answers to these questions.
Why are you here? Because you were born.
What is life? Well, did you not listen in biology class? I could explain but it would take me a while.
What are we? Hmm, that is an interesting question, but I think maybe the best answer is that you are 'human'. What is a human? Well, again, did you not listen in biology class?

You might think these aren't "real answers", but I don't think they could be any more "real" than this. Perhaps what you are really looking for are not 'real' answers at all.
You seem to want to believe there some sort of divine path for everyone, a destiny lying in wait. Is that true? The truth is there is no such thing, or at least none that any of us will ever know. Whether you believe in God or not doesn't matter. What is true is that if he exists he does not reveal such a path for us. What we are ultimately left with is the ability to choose our own.
And perhaps that is the only thing a real God would ever do. What purpose would life truly have if we were told from birth what our fate would be? That we are guided every step of the way? What choices would we make? What sort of 'life' would that be for us?

You're obviously coming from the perspective of the Abrahamic religions here, and perhaps maybe some Church-going folks have misled you to believe that all life should be about "serving God", as if we really were given a destiny and orders at birth. As if we are assigned a specific task and our whole lives are designed to follow it to God's every wish. But that just isn't how things really are. We aren't given that. We are given something much greater, a freedom to choose our own path. This is what you seem to be struggling with, at the moment. The freedom.

BadgeFTW said:
I need direction.
You don't 'need' any direction, because you aren't really lost.
Almost everyone is like this at some point in their life. It doesn't mean they are lost, it actually means they are just now finding themselves. The confusion and this need for 'direction' is from the fact that so many options become available once you are found that it is almost overwhelming. Where to go? What to do? What is the 'meaning' of it all?
Not everyone in life has the opportunity to find themselves, but regardless of that you are doing so now and that is important.

But you want answers, not empathy, right?
The answers you want can only be found within yourself.
Where do you want to go? What do you want to do? What meaning do you want to give it?
"Why are you here?" should become "Where do I want to go?"
"What is life?" should become "What am I going to make my life about?"
"What are we?" should become "Who do I want to be?"
Answer these questions and you will have your answers. Your "real" answers.

However, so long as you continue to look for someone to take your hand and guide it, so long as you expect to see the path of your destiny lying ahead leading you to golden arches, so long as you expect answers which are not real, and so long as you believe you are lost, then you will continue to feel lost.
Most people who are falsely guided by others are blind. And in their blindness they are often led by others who are blind, or sometimes just malicious. And they accept this guidance because they seek 'direction', like you. Eventually most of these people find themselves in circumstances they did not want. That is not something you want. You do not need anyone else's 'direction' but your own.

Only when you have recognized yourself and come to realize that you are found will things reveal themselves to you. Look at things as they really are and all paths open up to you.
God or no God, you choose your own destiny. Take that as a blessing, not a curse.

P.S. If you tell me what religion you believe in I can throw some scripture in there for you. :p

Do you have any family that you can reach out to? Maybe you could talk with a guidance or adjustment counselor at school and see what they have to say.

@Danielle If i am honest my dad has his own probloms, my mother just dosnt get what i am on about she is in a different universe. My step-dad has his head stuck his own ass and my little sister is 2. The rest of my family never talks.
Screw the school counselor, was that a joke?

Despicable Me said:
You seem to be looking for religious or spiritual guidance? Well, I'm somewhat studied in Theology, so I guess I will give it a try...

BadgeFTW said:
Why am i here, what is life, what are we? All these questions and no real answer
What is life? Well, did you not listen in biology class? I could explain but it would take me a while.
What are we? Hmm, that is an interesting question, but I think maybe the best answer is that you are 'human'. What is a human? Well, again, did you not listen in biology class?

You might think these aren't "real answers", but I don't think they could be any more "real" than this. Perhaps what you are really looking for are not 'real' answers at all.
You seem to want to believe there some sort of divine path for everyone, a destiny lying in wait. Is that true? The truth is there is no such thing, or at least none that any of us will ever know. Whether you believe in God or not doesn't matter. What is true is that if he exists he does not reveal such a path for us. What we are ultimately left with is the ability to choose our own.
And perhaps that is the only thing a real God would ever do. What purpose would life truly have if we were told from birth what our fate would be? That we are guided every step of the way? What choices would we make? What sort of 'life' would that be for us?

You're obviously coming from the perspective of the Abrahamic religions here, and perhaps maybe some Church-going folks have misled you to believe that all life should be about "serving God", as if we really were given a destiny and orders at birth. As if we are assigned a specific task and our whole lives are designed to follow it to God's every wish. But that just isn't how things really are. We aren't given that. We are given something much greater, a freedom to choose our own path. This is what you seem to be struggling with, at the moment. The freedom.

BadgeFTW said:
I need direction.
Almost everyone is like this at some point in their life. It doesn't mean they are lost, it actually means they are just now finding themselves. The confusion and this need for 'direction' is from the fact that so many options become available once you are found that it is almost overwhelming. Where to go? What to do? What is the 'meaning' of it all?
Not everyone in life has the opportunity to find themselves, but regardless of that you are doing so now and that is important.

Where do you want to go? What do you want to do? What meaning do you want to give it?

However, so long as you continue to look for someone to take your hand and guide it, so long as you expect to see the path of your destiny lying ahead leading you to golden arches, so long as you expect answers which are not real, and so long as you believe you are lost, then you will continue to feel lost.
Most people who are falsely guided by others are blind. And in their blindness they are often led by others who are blind, or sometimes just malicious. And they accept this guidance because they seek 'direction', like you. Eventually most of these people find themselves in circumstances they did not want. That is not something you want. You do not need anyone else's 'direction' but your own.

Only when you have recognized yourself and come to realize that you are found will things reveal themselves to you. Look at things as they really are and all paths open up to you.
God or no God, you choose your own destiny. Take that as a blessing, not a curse.

P.S. If you tell me what religion you believe in I can throw some scripture in there for you. :p

I appreciate you writing that wall of text for me. I know i should have my own path in life, i should not ask others for my own direction. The questions where more or less a metaphor of what is going on in my mind. I just have no idea what will become of me or what is too come. I am christiam by the way. I belive that our lives are more or less a test of us rather then we are just here. We are a all on a rock flying trough space with no.... "Direction".

Despicable Me said:

BadgeFTW said:

BadgeFTW said:
I need direction.

I appreciate you writing that wall of text for me. I know i should have my own path in life, i should not ask others for my own direction. The questions where more or less a metaphor of what is going on in my mind. I just have no idea what will become of me or what is too come. I am christiam by the way. I belive that our lives are more or less a test of us rather then we are just here. We are a all on a rock flying trough space with no.... "Direction".

I wish you luck.
[/quote] If i am honest my dad has his own probloms, my mother just dosnt get what i am on about she is in a different universe. My step-dad has his head stuck his own ass and my little sister is 2. The rest of my family never talks.

umm.... nope, not a joke.

BadgeFTW said:

@Danielle If i am honest my dad has his own probloms, my mother just dosnt get what i am on about she is in a different universe. My step-dad has his head stuck his own ass and my little sister is 2. The rest of my family never talks.

Despicable Me said:

BadgeFTW said:

BadgeFTW said:
I need direction.

Despicable Me said:

BadgeFTW said:

BadgeFTW said:
I need direction.

I wish you luck.

If i am honest my dad has his own probloms, my mother just dosnt get what i am on about she is in a different universe. My step-dad has his head stuck his own ass and my little sister is 2. The rest of my family never talks.
[/quote]

You should see it as a good thing that you've come around to asking yourself these questions at 17. Now you have the opportunity to make your late teens and early 20s turn out how you want them to. If you don't want to go to college than my advice is don't do it. While I don't regret going to university and getting a degree, what I do wish I had done is obtain independence as soon as possible. Maybe you should just get a job at the end of high school and move out.

I'd also recommend reading a lot of philosophy and Esotericism as well since it seems like it'd serve your mindset well. I personally think that this book here would be a great starting point if you wanted to learn about Advaita Vedanta for instance:

http://www.amazon.com/Shankaras-Crest-Jewel-Discrimination-Prabhavananda/dp/0874810388

Also, for philosophy maybe start with something like "On the Suffering of the World" by Arthur Schopenhauer. It isn't a particularly uplifting read but I think it's a lot easier to relate to than a lot of philosophy is and it's also a very accessible starting point because Schopenhauer was a good writer, better than a lot of philosophers for sure.

This is all just my thoughts on the matter, feel free to disregard all of it.

Latest posts

Back