My game theroy

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeFTW

Reaction score
So i have a theory. Call Of Duty, one of the biggest game franchises in the world and most played game ever. I believe with the recent COD's that have been absolute crap i believe that COD has fallen of its high horse, that it has already died and there is another game just waiting to take its crown. Tell me what you think of my little theory, thanks for reading :)

Every year they just copy and paste the basic game and release it with a slightly different marketing angle.

Its nothing unusual - just the nature of the industry.

What makes being a gamer interesting is when a true innovation or highly polished implementation of the genre arrives - this was the case for the early versions of the Call Of Duty series.

Well, is it the franchise that's the problem or the genre? Do other shooters have problems with their sequels? What exactly makes a great realistic shooter? (real physics, no future tech like shields). I guess they can make a 50vs50 guerrilla. 100vs100 skirmishes. or even 1000 vs 1000 like a real war? Everyone has 1 life, good luck with that, it's not a practical game at all then.

Call of Duty 1 & 2 and MW1 & 2 were the only CoD's I felt got some real TLC. In my opinion, CoD is in it's own genre, with it's Arcade style shooting that complements unbalanced warfare so people generally feel they are much better then they are at the game. That's to draw in more players. I can't grasp the competitive nature and border-line addiction with the people who manage to get to Prestige 10 in the first month.... lol. The campaigns are not even a shadow of it's former self. They see the money is in multiplayer, and even if it is "falling off it's high horse", the franchise is still grossing more money then any other 'console' game right now. Which in itself is enough to not even give each installment a legitimate "try". Things won't ever change unless people stop buying them. They can care less about the reviews, hell I'm all but sure most online reviewers are paid off or feel pressured into not giving an honest review. Otherwise, it'd be career suicide given the game's place. That high horse is still very much existent sadly lol. It's up to the mindless consumers to change that.

It's a business, first and foremost. As it always has been. Flashiness has taken over gameplay and story telling. Developers are being forced more and more by publishers to create games in smaller windows rather then given time and being creative. Hence why they keep having a lack of an imagination and sticking to futuristic warfare. I also hate the direction the Halo franchise is going with 343 as well. Halo had a good balance imo and didn't feel overly futuristic but that's changed now sadly. :(

For any other American football fans here, I'm sure the same could be said about Madden NFL. The name itself will sell it.

The problem is that people are buying already known franchises, not because they are actually great, but because the name sells. Unfortunately, unique ideas and new titles will never be great selling, and while many people can blame publishers like Activision, EA, Ubisoft etc., when they created new IPs and people decided to ignore them the time they were released (Beyond Good and Evil, Mirror's Edge, etc.), what the publishers will learn? Do not risk, people are not interested. Make games that gamers want: unoriginal, plain sequels which sells well.

Latest posts

Back