What are the things that infuriate you the most from society?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would cause too much trouble if I said and would also break forum rules.

EDIT: I will say that I hate it when someone clearly becomes aware that a popular 'feel good' political view they hold is logically unsound yet chooses to look the other way by pretending it isn't. Happens all the time.

I also have another thread in this sub-forum that will give you more of an idea.

1. The ever increasing lack of compassion towards those on the bottom rung of society.
2. The fact that most people of my age are glad we are not young nowadays because of the way things are.
3. The ever increasing levels of loneliness in all age groups, yet the majority of people feel they have to hide it because of fear of being stigmatised.

Very easy, and obvious, from my own perspective:

A total disregard for PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

It seems everything is blamed upon circumstances surrounding an action such as an injury / accident / killing, on down to something like losing a game or sporting event.

Regarding the former, a person responsible for the action (let's say, a drunk driver causes an accident, or a male abuses or violently injures his female SO) should become the sole focus of the event, not the extraneous circumstances that led to the incident. Nah, it seems more important to look at issues surrounding the action. Many times, the surrounding issues are the focus and the blame. The action that caused the incident is rarely the main focus anymore.

My nieces and nephew play in various sports competitions and leagues. At the end of the league, EVERONE on every team gets a trophy. WTF? Why are we not teaching young kids (10 years and under) what it is like / feels like to lose? to place second, or last? These kids will be ill prepared to deal with life's hard lessons - that we all lose far more than we will ever win. At anything - relationships, employment, etc.

I was reminded of this a few days ago when stumbling across a news story (why it is even a story is beyond me, but that is the result of the "entitlement generation") that profiled a 25 year old girl who graduated with a BA degree and relocated to San Francisco for her job, thee most expensive place to live in the entire USA. She accepts a job at the on-line review behemoth, Yelp!. After working there and struggling with her $12 an hour pay rate, she posts her negative company review on Yelp, blaming her employer for her financial woes - she is only making $12 an hour, but she requires a lot more money since her living by herself apartment $1,200+ a month rent, her cable / internet bill, car, etc cost more than her weekly take home pay. Yelp doesn't pay enough. No surprise, Yelp fired her after reading her review.

Of course, with social media notoriety, she will likely find another job due to publicity. Some outfit will "take pity" on her situation. Despite the replies posted by most people who stated the obvious opinion, one that is correct - Personal Responsibility. Who the hell would move to SF for a $12 an hour job without a roomate(s) to offset rent cost? And with a car? Parking in SF is non-existent, unless you can first locate, and second, afford to pay something like $1200 a month for garage parking. No employer owes you, or anyone else a job. This whining about tough economic times from younger people is just mind-numbing. Times would not be so difficult if you did not live your life above your economic means.

I guess this comes across more like a general rant. But that's me! I struggled with my own notion of personal responsibility in one dangerous situation that involved my exGF. For months, I blamed myself for what transpired (if I only did this THAT would not have happened). But, in the end, she was the one who acted in a way that put her in a dangerous situation that could have turned tragic. I had to get my head out of the FOG (fear, obligation and guilt triangle) to rationalize without emotion to understand that in the end, it was her fault, and not mine. It's amazing to understand how engulfed we can feel when emotions are involved that cloud rational, common sense thinking. As we do not communicate anymore (she abandoned me shortly afterward) she probably blames me for what happened. Something she has done with others in her life. This examples proves my point - few people accept personal responsibility for their actions.

The world would be a better place if everyone did.

Though I've pretty much resigned to many things going wrong within society, I'd gladly echo what ABrokenMan said. Too many individuals refuse to take responsibility for their own actions and the ensuing consequences. Others take too much, sometimes even for the actions of others. The FOG metaphor was pretty spot-on in that regard...the endless battle emotion vs. ratio.

All I can add is: Even if we aren't always fully responsible for the situations we find ourselves in, everyone has the personal responsibility to themselves to dig their way out of misery.

Pretty much no matter how I answer this question it would be against the rules of the forum.
So rather than answering the question I'm just going to tell you this.

Good answers so far.

Paraiyar said:
It would cause too much trouble if I said and would also break forum rules.

I'll add: political correctness in the media.

You could PM me if you want to.
Ugh, political correctness, I absolutely detest that, makes me want to knock some sense out of people. I have something else to tell about this, but I'll save it for later.

Despicable Me said:
Pretty much no matter how I answer this question it would be against the rules of the forum.
So rather than answering the question I'm just going to tell you this.

You could PM me too if you want to.

Trading our freedom for convenience. I think the risks are too high, and we'll all burn for it. /cryptic

If you're heavily invested in being angry and you believe every battle is a battle worth fighting, you'll never run out of topics and people to infuriate you.

This thread's title sounds like an invitation to a circular firing squad.

-Teresa

This topic? More precisely, angry inflated rage, which appears to be on the rise. People moving toward political extremes to assert their identities cause they're bored.

Might as well now say what makes me the angriest: Double Standards.

It doesn't matter what they're about, even if it involves taboos, every time people feel the need to criticize, punish or even hurt others more than other actions or groups, because one is more "acceptable" than the other, like political correctness, it makes me want to knock some sense out of people.

With the way things are going, even the concepts that aren't popular will become more tolerable in the future, so why can't people accept them now or, at least, make them flexible? I wish society could react more logically than emotionally when they see and/or hear something they don't like, but alas, they're humans, pretty much the most emotional animal in existence. Not to mention, we're living in a time where everybody likes to censor stuff and gets offended for everything, yeah, like if that's going to help.

AnonymousMe said:
You could PM me too if you want to.
I'm not sure you'd understand my frustrations.
But I'll try to put it into terms that won't get me moderated.

Ignorance, close-mindedness, and apathy. These are the three most basic traits of society that I believe are destroying humanity. And I see these things everywhere I go and in everything that I do. And it constantly infuriates me to no end.
And it doesn't make me angry that people don't know any better. It makes me angry that there are solutions for these problems but people just don't even want to try them, and they make up every excuse imaginable, including justifying it.

That is what pains me the most. They justify it. They justify their ignorance. They justify their close-mindedness. And they justify their apathy.

I have pretty much given up on humanity for these reasons. This is all one of the reasons why I feel a never-ending loneliness now. The main reason why the rest of humanity feels so alien to me.

Latest posts

Back