What are the things that infuriate you the most from society?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good people suffering and shitty people being happy as ever and getting away with messed up stuff.

Self-deception as a means to justify cruelty (rhetoric and language does wonders in this area) as well as romanticizing messed up acts. In the past a lot of it was blind ignorance but nowadays it's like people know something is wrong but they say and do it anyway. No one cares.

Despicable Me said:
AnonymousMe said:
You could PM me too if you want to.
I'm not sure you'd understand my frustrations.
But I'll try to put it into terms that won't get me moderated.

Ignorance, close-mindedness, and apathy. These are the three most basic traits of society that I believe are destroying humanity. And I see these things everywhere I go and in everything that I do. And it constantly infuriates me to no end.
And it doesn't make me angry that people don't know any better. It makes me angry that there are solutions for these problems but people just don't even want to try them, and they make up every excuse imaginable, including justifying it.

That is what pains me the most. They justify it. They justify their ignorance. They justify their close-mindedness. And they justify their apathy.

I have pretty much given up on humanity for these reasons. This is all one of the reasons why I feel a never-ending loneliness now. The main reason why the rest of humanity feels so alien to me.

Great post. I feel you.

AnonymousMe said:
Not to mention, we're living in a time where everybody likes to censor stuff and gets offended for everything, yeah, like if that's going to help.

I think I should explain a bit more this comment, because today, I saw something today that reinforces this statement.

Something else that, actually, infuriates me more than double-standards is how over-sensitive people have become. Yes, we've been sensitive in the past, but unlike previous times, it wasn't affectively annoying as it is today; people nowadays likes to make something they don't like controversial, it doesn't matter if it's something unimportant or part of entertainment, if people don't like it, they'll talk about it. The only example I can only currently think of is how, supposedly, women are portrayed in video games and of how the industry makes its audience sexist. It's gotten to the point where creators actually need to censor content they had originally planned for their game, just to not deal with SJWs, yet everyday women that just want to play games really don't care about how women are, again, supposedly "degraded." I was going to mention how some wanted the movie Deadpool to be PG-13 instead of R, but that's just not necessary to talk about.

The one I absolutely hate the most though is how people over-respect homosexuality. Unless if you're someone that loves to death the orientation, even the slightest of casual commentaries can make people lose their heads, then throw every insult from the book and even reject those that doesn't like homos. That's the thing, you can't even say your opinion, they may respect other dislikes, but they can't tolerate you disliking gays and/or lesbians, you NEED to say that you don't care about them, so nobody throws stones at you. It makes me angrier when I see that the entertainment industry feels the need to change or add the orientation to their characters to please such audiences and when those audiences throw hints that other characters could be that orientation, despite showing no evidence throughout the story. For example: Marvel decided to make Iceman gay and although his sexuality has always been vague, it's obvious that Marvel did this to please that audience. An Assassin's Creed video game needlessly has a transexual male. In Star Wars, the two lead male characters had a good friendship between them, but just because they stare at each other for a moment, then share a hug because one thought that the other was DEAD, people start to guess that the two may have some gay tendencies; even Mark Hamill is saying that if people want to think of Luke as gay, then he's gay.

*sigh* It's all the spiral of silence, if people don't forcefully follow what's popular, then they're marginalized, pretty much one of the worst fears from human beings. Unless if it's family or my partner, I could care less about everyone, I don't care what they have to say or with whomever they're screwing around in their bedrooms, but them getting easily offended and coercing entertainment to censor or change their artistic visions needs to STOP, because it affects everybody.

If this thread gets closed or starts a whole argument because of what I just said, then it'll prove that I'm correct.

Whoa. If you don't like homosexual people or any other group of people, that's your choice and opinion. But don't try to tell other people how their views should be. You can certainly have and speak about your own personal opinions but you're NOT entitled to be protected from hearing opposing points of view or from negative consequences or blowback from others. If you're that confident in your own views, you shouldn't fall apart when you hear another viewpoint.

I disagree with you and there are gay people on this forum that I stand with 100%.

Also, this is a forum for Lonely People. If you want to espouse the above opinions, there are loads of other web forums for that. Why don't you use those forums?

-Teresa

I think it is good that the entertainment industry is portraying gay characters in films, comics etc in a positive way. There has been so much prejudice in society against gay people and it is good that this is no longer acceptable. Seeing positive characterisations of gay people in films etc will be helpful towards young people who are coming to the realisation that they are gay and that being gay is absolutely fine.

SofiasMami said:
Whoa. If you don't like homosexual people or any other group of people, that's your choice and opinion. But don't try to tell other people how their views should be. You can certainly have and speak about your own personal opinions but you're NOT entitled to be protected from hearing opposing points of view or from negative consequences or blowback from others. If you're that confident in your own views, you shouldn't fall apart when you hear another viewpoint.

I disagree with you and there are gay people on this forum that I stand with 100%.

Also, this is a forum for Lonely People. If you want to espouse the above opinions, there are loads of other web forums for that. Why don't you use those forums?

-Teresa

+1

I wouldn't blame the entertainment industry for broadening their target audience. For all I know it's about the money. Though there is a difference between simply having homosexual or plain non-heterosexual characters and putting up a giant red arrow pointing at him/her(/it?) to make it blatantly obvious. That doesn't help their cause at all. It's not taboo anymore in many first-world countries but there's still an awful lot of hatred in other countries, cultures and certain religions so I guess promoting tolerance is still necessary. I don't like the radical agenda of certain SJWs either where they criticize past or present media products for the portrayal or absence of non-heterosexual characters...I mean, if they want to have these things in their entertainment products, they should just make their own in the 21st century.

But with that in mind, I gotta agree with what Teresa said too. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but that doesn't mean other people can't come around to tell you off for them. Goes for everyone. If people think they ought to be protected from criticism or that the mere idea of someone criticizing their opinion validates it even more, they are not better than some these social justice zealots.

On final note, do you actually have anything against homosexuals or do you just don't like the premise of their orientation being overly promoted in the media?

Rodent said:
On final note, do you actually have anything against homosexuals or do you just don't like the premise of their orientation being overly promoted in the media?

Obviously nobody so far understood what I said, especially SofiasMami.

I clearly stated that I don't care what people do in their bedrooms, so I don't have anything against homosexuals, nor with people who do incest, neither with zoophiles or with individuals that do activities that are considered taboo or morally wrong to society, what is pissing me off is your latter statement, that it's being overly promoted to the point of being forced, not just to audiences, but to industries who think they NEED to do it, in fear of not offending anyone. That's a form of censorship, not promotion and censorship is always bad. The media needs to take a break from that and feature other things, they don't need to constantly remind us that homosexuality has been accepted here in the west.

By the way, yes, I think the same way with other taboos. People are eventually going to realize that they aren't as bad as they are portrayed (just like it happened with homosexuality), but if they're overly promoted to the point of being annoying, it would make me angry too.

You see everyone? If someone comments a slight hint indicating negativity towards homosexuality, everyone immediatelly tries to defend it at all costs, despite not being a negative comment at all.

Meanwhile, in other parts of the world, people are being stoned to death and brutally murdered for their beliefs. I will stick to the people who disagree with me and flip me off.

Well, at least I bothered to ask what you meant. Nobody grabbed their pitchforks yet, so it's not as controversial as you make it out to be. Though it might depend on what other places you frequent.

As I said before, the mass entertainment business is mostly about money to me and if producers/developers got the choice to broaden their audience and including minorities, it's okay to jeopardize a couple of people who are either actually offended by the idea itself or a derivation from source material...or losing those like you who are getting annoyed by the over-promotion. For them it's just business. But you can always support those who just "do what they like", without pushing agendas. The radicals will develop their "headcanons" and "shippings" regardless. The worst you can do is giving those who display a creation as awfully controversial or problematic too much attention - which is sadly happening. So don't get me wrong: Video games, as much as movies, are art to me and they ought to stay their creator's vision.

But while it's true that homosexuality is no longer outlawed in the west, it doesn't mean it's actually accepted among the majority of the population, so that reminder is not gonna disappear anytime soon. That's just my observation. With regard to the example with Marvel, movies are often released worldwide nowadays, so while you are annoyed by this overpromotion in your developed country, there are other nations which are still in need of a big dose of tolerance which are hereby exposed to these ideas. So you'll probably have to suffer through this patronization...still better than getting stoned to death, I guess.

I don't know why it always ends up in extremes, but that might just be human nature. If you aren't loving it, you are obviously hating it, right? The worst scenario is: Instead of writing a character who just happens to be homosexual for example, you see whole characters getting constructed around this one trait which happens to be homosexuality. And this is something I'm also opposed to, because it does not help the pursuit for acceptance at all.

You said the media ought to feature other things instead though. What would these things actually be?

PS: I do have a sense of foreboding though because put homosexuality, incest, zoophilia and general morally wrong acts in the same sentence...just saying. Don't think I'm ridiculing you. I just wanna point out how easy it is to unintentionally give people a ground to attack you on.

Rodent said:
Well, at least I bothered to ask what you meant. Nobody grabbed their pitchforks yet, so it's not as controversial as you make it out to be. Though it might depend on what other places you frequent.

As I said before, the mass entertainment business is mostly about money to me and if producers/developers got the choice to broaden their audience and including minorities, it's okay to jeopardize a couple of people who are either actually offended by the idea itself or a derivation from source material...or losing those like you who are getting annoyed by the over-promotion. For them it's just business. But you can always support those who just "do what they like", without pushing agendas. The radicals will develop their "headcanons" and "shippings" regardless. The worst you can do is giving those who display a creation as awfully controversial or problematic too much attention - which is sadly happening. So don't get me wrong: Video games, as much as movies, are art to me and they ought to stay their creator's vision.

But while it's true that homosexuality is no longer outlawed in the west, it doesn't mean it's actually accepted among the majority of the population, so that reminder is not gonna disappear anytime soon. That's just my observation. With regard to the example with Marvel, movies are often released worldwide nowadays, so while you are annoyed by this overpromotion in your developed country, there are other nations which are still in need of a big dose of tolerance which are hereby exposed to these ideas. So you'll probably have to suffer through this patronization...still better than getting stoned to death, I guess.

I don't know why it always ends up in extremes, but that might just be human nature. If you aren't loving it, you are obviously hating it, right? The worst scenario is: Instead of writing a character who just happens to be homosexual for example, you see whole characters getting constructed around this one trait which happens to be homosexuality. And this is something I'm also opposed to, because it does not help the pursuit for acceptance at all.

You said the media ought to feature other things instead though. What would these things actually be?

PS: I do have a sense of foreboding though because put homosexuality, incest, zoophilia and general morally wrong acts in the same sentence...just saying. Don't think I'm ridiculing you. I just wanna point out how easy it is to unintentionally give people a ground to attack you on.

Yeah, I understand why entertainment companies need to make changes, it reminds me of the phrase “you’ve got to spend money to make money,” but I guess it applies the same to fanatics; sometimes fans must be lost to get new ones. That happens all the time, I’m sure it’s even happened to you.

Well, yeah, it’s definitely better than being stoned, but showing a country’s ideas in movies to other foreign places in hopes of those populations accepting them is not the correct way. Imagine this situation, the U.S. releases a film that promotes homosexuality in a country that considers the orientation immoral and demonstrates how it isn’t bad, but then than other country makes a movie that promotes, say… extended breastfeeding and tells the advantages of it. Is the U.S. going to like it? No! Of course not, almost all populations go by with what they’re culture finds acceptable, take these examples: the Middle East thinks that plastic surgery is extremely wrong, but has nothing against genital mutilation and France doesn’t mind incest between consenting adults. Do you think people will become more tolerable towards both practices if promoted here in the west? Unless people become open-minded and see everything from a scientific or, at the very least, in a logical perspective, only time will unite the world, which I don’t see happening anything soon.

Even though it’s just a fantasy, I only wish the media could tell about positive stuff or talk about things that aren’t liked by society in a more positive light. It’s only negative stuff (and yearly popular events) they promote, but that’s how it rolls, negativity attracts attention and controversy makes revenue. People are part of the problem too, because it is their way of thinking that precisely keep many other problems that could be solved or tolerated, like the legalization of marijuana and the morality of abortion, many think both aren't big deals.

AnonymousMe said:
Well, yeah, it’s definitely better than being stoned, but showing a country’s ideas in movies to other foreign places in hopes of those populations accepting them is not the correct way. Imagine this situation, the U.S. releases a film that promotes homosexuality in a country that considers the orientation immoral and demonstrates how it isn’t bad, but then than other country makes a movie that promotes, say… extended breastfeeding and tells the advantages of it. Is the U.S. going to like it? No! Of course not, almost all populations go by with what they’re culture finds acceptable, take these examples: the Middle East thinks that plastic surgery is extremely wrong, but has nothing against genital mutilation and France doesn’t mind incest between consenting adults. Do you think people will become more tolerable towards both practices if promoted here in the west? Unless people become open-minded and see everything from a scientific or, at the very least, in a logical perspective, only time will unite the world, which I don’t see happening anything soon.

Even though it’s just a fantasy, I only wish the media could tell about positive stuff or talk about things that aren’t liked by society in a more positive light. It’s only negative stuff (and yearly popular events) they promote, but that’s how it rolls, negativity attracts attention and controversy makes revenue. People are part of the problem too, because it is their way of thinking that precisely keep many other problems that could be solved or tolerated, like the legalization of marijuana and the morality of abortion, many think both aren't big deals.

No, I don't really believe in this procedure working either. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why some things are done they way they are done, considering the self-proclaimed cultural and moral authority of the Western World. Some people claim we should take care of our own zealots and fundamentalists first and often enough I feel inclined to agree with that sentiment. We do have a superiority complex after all.

I find myself thinking that as long as there's diversity there'll be neither peace nor equality anyway. Any differing trait can be used as a basis to either convey superiority or inferiority to one another. People just need this sensation. I don't think even logic will help us here, considering how it was just used in combination with fake sciences to rationalize bigotry at many points in the past. So along with the fantasy of peace, the idea of the media talking about positive stuff only will also remain one. Instead we're often stuck in mock controversies while we got serious issues going on that would require our attention.

Oh wow. Hey OP, when you're in a hole, stop digging. By the way, why are you so obsessed with incest and genitalia? Weird.

Ah, Rodent and Tiina, always the voices of reason here on the forum. Cheers x

-Teresa

1. Bullying
2. People who point out mistakes in other's grammar / spelling.
3. People who walk up escalators when there are stairs.
4. Doing things so negligently.
5. The glorification of being in a relationship as proof to the world that you are worthy.

SofiasMami said:
Oh wow. Hey OP, when you're in a hole, stop digging. By the way, why are you so obsessed with incest and genitalia? Weird.

Hey, I'm not the one who's making sexuality and nudity problematic, there's no reason to feel weird about things that exist and that don't hurt.
What, do you want me to support harsher laws and euthanasia instead?

Social media. Which is contradictory considering i do have some. I don't like how vain some people are, I think people put to much energy into figuring out how to take the perfect selfie rather than worrying about educating themselves further and focusing on family and friends. I think far too old school for someone my age, but i just think showing attention towards those who love you is far more important.

There is a difference between criticizing a thing and criticizing the 'agendafication' of a thing. Subtle, but important.

AnonymousMe said:
Obviously nobody so far understood what I said. You see everyone? If someone comments a slight hint indicating negativity towards homosexuality, everyone immediatelly tries to defend it at all costs, despite not being a negative comment at all.

I feel this is a manifestation of bullying. YOU WILL only say things about things I want you. It is like calling people a bigot or a racist lately because they say what they think even if what they say isn't close to racism or bigotry.

It makes me angrier when I see that the entertainment industry feels the need to change or add the orientation to their characters to please such audiences and when those audiences throw hints that other characters could be that orientation, despite showing no evidence throughout the story. For example: Marvel decided to make Iceman gay and although his sexuality has always been vague, it's obvious that Marvel did this to please that audience. An Assassin's Creed video game needlessly has a transexual male. In Star Wars, the two lead male characters had a good friendship between them, but just because they stare at each other for a moment, then share a hug because one thought that the other was DEAD, people start to guess that the two may have some gay tendencies; even Mark Hamill is saying that if people want to think of Luke as gay, then he's gay.

Except in most of those cases, you're talking about a few overzealous fans. Most people just interpret the friendship between those Star Wars characters as a platonic bond. Luke's sexuality was never mentioned in the Star Wars movies. If he were, in fact, gay or even bisexual... how would that impact the overall story? Considering the abundance of media that caters to a heterosexual audience, a few LGBT characters shouldn't result in you having a meltdown.

reynard_muldrake said:
Except in most of those cases, you're talking about a few overzealous fans. Most people just interpret the friendship between those Star Wars characters as a platonic bond. Luke's sexuality was never mentioned in the Star Wars movies. If he were, in fact, gay or even bisexual... how would that impact the overall story? Considering the abundance of media that caters to a heterosexual audience, a few LGBT characters shouldn't result in you having a meltdown.

I get what you're saying, unless if it's the protagonist/antagonist and his/her love interest, sexual orientation doesn't matter at all, so no, I wouldn't mind having LGBT characters in some stories, but from a narrative perspective, it's much better if the characters are asexual or if they don't indicate what they like, because it leaves it up to interpretation and it's that vagueness that appeals EVERYONE; people can guess what's their orientation/preferences are and be correct, yet wrong at the same time (Fanfiction). It doesn't work well with established or iconic characters though, suddenly changing their vagueness will end up with mixed reactions from the fans, you can say that it makes them less special, it would be like openly telling what made the apocalyptic zombie world from The Walking Dead or telling the actual background of the Joker or showing what made the titans appear on Attack on Titan.

Latest posts

Back