Do you consider life sacred? To what extent?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unacceptance

Reaction score
Just kind of curious how some of you stand. Are humans more important than animals? Is everyone on the same level of importance or lack thereof?

When, if ever, is it ok to take a life. Is it worth grieving over every living thing that dies? Are you accepting of it?

etc.

Unacceptance said:
Just kind of curious how some of you stand. Are humans more important than animals? Is everyone on the same level of importance or lack thereof?

When, if ever, is it ok to take a life. Is it worth grieving over every living thing that dies? Are you accepting of it?

etc.

I don't believe humans are more important than animals. I think a lot of humans just take and take, not thinking of the consequences of their actions on earth and it's living creatures.

When to take a life, if someone has left it in their will to not be kept on life support. That would be honoring the persons wishes no matter how much it hurt us to let them go. And with animals euthanasia would be a last choice for me after I have spent thousands of dollars to save my pets life. And I have spent thousands of dollars to keep a loved pet alive without regrets of the money spent. Having worked for a veterinarian, let me tell you putting a perfectly healthy animal down because of it's owner not being willing to work with a trainer for bad behavior is not ok with me. :( It broke my heart to see people do this. I could go on but will end it with that.

I don't grieve over every living thing that dies, but I do try to acknowledge the passing of another weather it be human or animal, and wish them to rest in peace, and or not to suffer. And I would say I'm accepting of it. Some acceptance may take longer than others but I always come to terms with it.

I'm not sure.

We live in a logical world where we have sense tuned to acknowledge and use that logic to our advantage. And at the same time we learn that there are parts or pieces that make us up that can be used to make other living things. Not to mention that all atoms can be theoretically broken down into protons, neutrons, and electrons and fused or diffused with other protons, neutrons, and electrons in other atoms to make new atoms.

So really I would just say that everything has the same inherent kind of parts as everything else just rearranged differently due to some kind of energy that holds it together or has taken place in some kind of reaction to shape something.

So everything is energy and logical in our world. But we don't know anything beyond this logical box we exist because we can only understand and interpret the logical. Or else we would know all the answers to the questions that religions are built upon (in theory).

So if I assume that the illogical (or whatever you want to brand that which we can't understand as) is not understandable but surrounds and nurtures our logical existence, then I can't really have an opinion about what I believe I can't understand.

So assuming my premise that the illogical surrounds and nurtures our logical existence is true, then I hope we are sacred or special in some kind of way and accept that there is much more than humanity and myself, but believe no one can ever know based on the premise. However, if we are all the same parts and energy then we are sacred in that we truly are apart of something bigger.

So I'm not sure.

P.S. - Sometimes it can be hard for me to put my thoughts into words for another person's viewpoint and it might appear to be jabbering because of such, so if what I wrote isn't that coherent and you want it to be, please say so and I will try to fix it.

Blue, you mean people euthanize their pets because they don't behave exactly the way they want them to, without even trying to teach them to behave?

I would have figured that would be illegal. I guess it is better than just dumping them on the side of the road somewhere though :( but still it seems wrong.

In one situation a dog was brought to the clinic and the owner said it bites, but she hadn't gotten it any formal training. The vet agreed to put the dog down. I personally would have liked to have seen the dog evaluated by someone before the decision was made, but I was powerless. :(

Anonymous said:
Blue, you mean people euthanize their pets because they don't behave exactly the way they want them to, without even trying to teach them to behave?

I would have figured that would be illegal. I guess it is better than just dumping them on the side of the road somewhere though :( but still it seems wrong.

I do not think there are any laws that prohibit the euthanization of a pet, as long as the owner consents and the veterinarian is willing. There are laws that regulate how the pet is euthanized though.

A biting dog can be very dangerous. Domesicated dogs typically do not need any training to keep them from biting. What type of dog was it? I can sympathize with the owner if it were a large dog, especially if it was aggressive towards them. I would not want to be forced to live cautiously because I would be afraid the dog would bite if I moved too quickly while around it. Finding a home for an aggressive animal is far easier said than done.

If it were say, an obnoxious toy poodle, then simply knock it across the room when it tries to bite you. =] Which reminds me, there was a similar situation at the clinic I work at. For months a client had been trying to sucker the Dr. to put down her geriatric toy poodle because it wets in the house, multiple times, throughout the day. During those months we had been treating the dog for a weak urinary sphincter, among other imaginary symptoms made up by the owner to justify euthanizing the dog. One day the part time doctor convinced the owner to relinquish ownership and in return the doc would find a home for the dog. The dog nows lives with the part-time doc. The dogs only problems? Arthritis and an aging bladder.

How do I value animal life? Sometimes I think people can push the care of the pets a little to far. LSU's veterinary school is notorious for designing treatment plans that make the MD Anderson Hospital jealous. Peronsally, the appropriate amount of care depends on the animal itself. I would consider age and temperment first when deciding on a treatment for my pet. Example: Had my calico cat been diagnosed with diabetes (she died from renal failure - very common), I would only consider treating her with oral medication. It's not that I couldn't give her insulin, she would have not tolerated needles and would become very fearful of me if I insisted on it. In this hypothetical situaiton I say I'd value her life more to euthanize her peacefully rather than put her through the hell of insulin injections BID or SID or whatever. As for my tabby? I would not hestitate with the insulin.

Newmanium said:
A biting dog can be very dangerous. Domesicated dogs typically do not need any training to keep them from biting. What type of dog was it?

It was a black lab. I'm sure the Dr. Made the right choice, but I'm a "I have to see it to believe it person."

Newmanium said:
How do I value animal life? ...... the appropriate amount of care depends on the animal itself. I would consider age and temperament first when deciding on a treatment for my pet.

I have to admit looking back when I spent thousands on keeping my yellow lab alive I was going to the extreme, but my husband and myself both were not ready to let go of him until the last day we visited him in the hospital. When I was given his diagnosis I new in my heart he would never have any quality of life and would at best live only a few more months. I prefer not to go into his details now, but from my experience in the operating room where I worked I was able to come to terms with letting him go.
As my pets are getting into their ripe old ages I look at each ones health individually and with the guidance of my veterinarian I have been able to make very good choices in there care. I have no human children so my animals are spoiled and well cared for. :)
Sorry for rambling, I'm like that at times. :p

Latest posts

Back