Desire for revenge?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings! first a quick disclaimer. I'm not condoning revenge, or violence of any kind in any way. Just wanted to hit on a touchy subject & have the ability to speak with frankness & fervor without my words being taken out of context.
Also, I've noticed a lot of people here aren't American and English isn't their native tongue. Guilty as charged here, so my apologies for grammatical errors n such.

This is quite long winded, but I wanted to share some past experiences & male perspective as a way of getting some heavy stuff off my chest and possibly helping others in their journey(s/?)...

I wanna talk here about the desire for revenge. You know it well. That desire to inflict pain & suffering on the one who wronged you. It's something that's almost never talked about, but it lives in all of us.
Now those thoughts we have of exacting revenge on the enemy, you'll imagine every step and you're methodical. How you would hurt them, how you would torture them, what you'd say, how it would play out. We've all done this in our minds, but we're all too scared & ashamed to say just how much time we've spent reflecting on these scenarios. But, it's as common as a dirty thought.
This need for revenge; it's reflected through all areas of society. Through the media, through the justice system. We don't talk about it, we just hide it away. Instead we just sit back and cheer on Liam Neeson as he dispatches another horde of Albanian gangsters.....

But revenge, it's a primal urge. Like someone insults you, you play it out in your mind. What you'd say, how you'd strike back, and it feels a hell of a lot more empowering than feeling helpless.
These thoughts: They're how we insulate ourselves from feeling helpless and from experiencing their vulnerability.
But revenge isn't just about the act of inflicting hurt, or even taking back control. At it's core, it's a deep felt need for the other person to not only understand our experience & our pain, but too LIVE IT! Too live that pain so they can truly understand.

So revenge at it's basis, at it's very core, is still a need for connection. And these thoughts, they give you a sense of control.
You suffer trauma, you receive an insult, or something triggers you...Your physiology it goes into overdrive and that rage response, that anger response, it's not a response to the hurt being inflicted, but rather from the feelings we experience. And what's needed in that moment is understanding & acknowledgment.
Those responses, if they're not addressed and worked through, they can cripple you. The most important thing a man can do (in that moment) is acknowledge his hurt. It's amazing how difficult the step is, especially for a male.
This is what a lifetime of messages of, "Man up!" and forced stereotypes of masculine stoicism does to a man.

Ask yourself when you get angry, 'What degree of vulnerability do you allow yourself to feel?'
You may feel it after the fact. When your adrenaline starts to dissipate, when you start shaking like a leaf...Then you feel vulnerable. That fear over what you did, or what could have happened.
And I've experienced that fear many times. You literally see your life play out in front of you. Your immediate present & what your future may look like behind bars, or whatever. It's similar to a near-death experience and inside each person (in that moment of rage) is a child that needs to be protected.

So what happens? You go on the attack, you need to take your power back, and this anger-reaction, it stops any further introspection & you never get to identify the hurt that sparked this reaction.....

So, if you never allow yourself to experience this vulnerability, how can you identify triggers? How can you protect yourself?
Because a man without awareness is a response automation.
He's just reactive with no further clarity.
That confusion only leads to more suffering, and too more manipulation.

I look around today and ummm.....I look at relationships.
Relationships between man & woman today, they're a cesspool of unconscious resentment. And the degrees to which people overcompensate and the degree to which we employ cognitive dissonance in relationships...All of that. It gets suppressed.
You can convince yourself up and down that your relationship is working, that you're happy, but that resentment along with the guilt of having thoughts of violence, or hurtful intent towards your partner; it always leads to self hatred.
I mean, you picture it. You're sitting across from your partner at dinner & she's talking and she won't shut up. And in the back of your mind, you're thinking how good it would feel to stick your fork in her face. Just so she would understand you. That she wouldn't invalidate your feelings for once.
I know this sounds shocking, but if this was a woman saying this about her husband, I'd be getting applauded by a studio audience right now.
But of course men can't have these thoughts, can they?

This is it. This is how men are turned into footstools & lapdogs for women & society. These men, they're living in a perpetual state of guilt, or self loathing. They're emotionally dead!
And a man, he can often feel guilt for having these thoughts of violence & revenge. Sometimes against those closest to him. you know the same people who don't respect his sacrifices and who exploit his love.
These thoughts, at their core, they're a cry to the world.
Saying "I MATTER, and my feelings, my experience is valid and I want you to acknowledge it! But as men, we don't cry out, we hide away.

You look close enough & you'll see it. Footprints across the back of most men, just human escalators.
Never forming their lips to mouth the words, that their dignity, their time, their lives, their rights are more important than the precious feelings of those around them, i.e. the same people who degrade & exploit them.
And these men, they never voice their pretense of a society. It's a soul destroying nightmare for most men.

This is the way it is for so many males. A life of shame & silent resentment.
So furthering our understanding and awareness, it's the best defense a man can have.
We need to trace that pain. We need to trace that vulnerability and fear into our past & identify the triggers. Because there's a lot of ticking time bombs out there. I was one of them. If you fly blind on auto-pilot, you will bring the past into the present, and that hurt will be intensified tenfold.

And nobody stuck up for the child you once were, no one stood up for you when you were subjected to ongoing systematic abuses by your ex-partner and the courts.
Oh but now you're awake, oh yeah you are awake & you've made the promise to yourself that no one is gonna hurt you again. You're gonna make sure of that, you're gonna fight! You're gonna do whatever it takes to protect yourself. I lived this. I lived it! And so many men do, they've just become reactive.....

Now every perceived slight is augmented in the mind. Everything is scrutinized. Every remark, every gesture & you are waiting, you're anticipating. Just waiting for your chance to lash out!
It's a chance that rarely eventuates. So you end up swinging at ghosts in the dark.
So instead that need to lash out, that resentment, it has nowhere else to go and gets turned inwards....This is standard practice for men, because where else are they gonna turn?

So a man, he reaches for the bottle to numb his pain, or he acts out.
He shuts down his emotions, and justifies every action.
That man; he destroys himself from the inside out. Whatever pain you inflict on a man; he will punish himself a hundred times harder.
Subconsciously he's wanting the world to feel remorse, or some degree of guilt over what they have done to him.
And this happens a lot when you see men state that what they've experienced is something that no one else can understand, until they themselves have experienced it. It pushes people away. It's their protective buffer, but in reality; it's a cry for help.
It stems from a need for connection. It's our go too....

Experiencing rage, anger; it's a deflection. So we don't have to experience vulnerability, so we don't have to experience pain.
You see this online when people dig their heels in & get defensive. Of course the medium lends itself to that.
So it's easier just to claim you feel nothing rather than face the herd.
It's like a child stamping their feet. They're seeking attention.
Then they just storm off in a sulk angry at the parent for ignoring their needs.
It's misguided, it's confused.....

And to forgive, means too let go. At some point a man has to let go.
For the sake of his health, for the sake of his well-being. But most of all, so he can finally be FREE!!

I have to admit I think about revenge sometimes. I think everyone does at one time or another. I try to remind myself, though, that ruminating a lot about revenge is like drinking poison and hoping the other person will die.

-Teresa

I think about it quite a bit

I once read that the difference between a psychopath brain and a normal brain is that when a psychopath chooses not to kill someone its because they fear the repercussions of the law but when a normal brained person chooses not to kill someone its because they know its wrong.

Im truly convinced that the only reason that I haven't killed a few people is because I fear the law, although obviously i know its "wrong" too, but still. its like I hate them so much it wouldn't bother me.

This obviously has me wondering what i would actually do if someone told me that I had legal permission to kill some people... would I actually do it?

It also sometimes has me wondering if traits of psychopathic thinking can be acquired from trauma because I could have never imagined killing someone say 10 years ago.

Finally, it makes me wonder if the whole theory is bogus and my thinking is healthy and normal and that I just think too much.

More than actually killing someone, my desire to tie them up and terrorize them silly until they cry runs pretty deep.

I want some people to feel regret and empathy. Wishful thinking though.

I agree with Sophias moms post about drinking poison and hoping it kills the other person. A really good analogy !!

stork_error said:
Im truly convinced that the only reason that I haven't killed a few people is because I fear the law, although obviously i know its "wrong" too, but still. its like I hate them so much it wouldn't bother me.

Oh boy, I am far worse. I would not do it in real life because of the law and also because I don't want to live a live with that kind of a massive horror in it.

But I don't think it is wrong... at least all the time. Some people don't deserve to live. A lot of people say, who are you to decide? But I will never understand that. Our entire jury system says - humans have to decide here on earth. If you believe in god, he supposedly created us in his image and, if you don't, Humans are apparently like a mutant species that has self awareness. Either humans make the decision or no one does.

I do not think revenge is necessarily a bad thing. It saddens me that wayyy too many people think what they think because they watched too much Star Wars. It is beyond simplistic to pretend like because you turn ugly for one act that you are bad. Or even that the ugly act is necessarily morally wrong. You can decide to impose death and still be a good and law abiding person...

I am somewhat concerned with a long term revenge. Someone I believed was a nice person showed me she was not. Now I literally do all that I can to point this out to people in my most sneaky way while sucking up to her. This is a desire for revenge but also, a conviction that I can't let others be fooled by her.

Sounds like no-one read the OP's wall-o-text which included a lot of obsessive violent thoughts towards a partner. Better to get out of the situation.

LonelySutton said:
But I will never understand that. Our entire jury system says - humans have to decide here on earth. If you believe in god, he supposedly created us in his image and, if you don't, Humans are apparently like a mutant species that has self awareness. Either humans make the decision or no one does.

I do not think revenge is necessarily a bad thing. It saddens me that wayyy too many people think what they think because they watched too much Star Wars. It is beyond simplistic to pretend like because you turn ugly for one act that you are bad. Or even that the ugly act is necessarily morally wrong. You can decide to impose death and still be a good and law abiding person...

The jury system functions to determine guilt, a judge imposes a sentence in accordance with the law. You could argue that sentencing satisfies society's urge for revenge, along with obviously acting as a deterrent while protecting the public; something that may or may not include "imposing death". However no one individual gets to dictate that.

There is a distinction between desiring revenge and thinking you should have the right to impose your own brand of punishment. I don't think wanting revenge is necessarily wrong.

I have these thoughts about hurting certain people who "deserve" it, but it's mostly pointless, because a/ they possibly aren't the same people now b/ it demonstrates they have power over me, enough to occupy the mind c/ the desire for revenge is often tainted by personal bitterness towards them and can't be considered objectively just.

I_still_believe said:
Greetings! first a quick disclaimer. I'm not condoning revenge, or violence of any kind in any way. Just wanted to hit on a touchy subject & have the ability to speak with frankness & fervor without my words being taken out of context.
Also, I've noticed a lot of people here aren't American and English isn't their native tongue. Guilty as charged here, so my apologies for grammatical errors n such.

This is quite long winded, but I wanted to share some past experiences & male perspective as a way of getting some heavy stuff off my chest and possibly helping others in their journey(s/?)...

I wanna talk here about the desire for revenge. You know it well. That desire to inflict pain & suffering on the one who wronged you. It's something that's almost never talked about, but it lives in all of us.
Now those thoughts we have of exacting revenge on the enemy, you'll imagine every step and you're methodical. How you would hurt them, how you would torture them, what you'd say, how it would play out. We've all done this in our minds, but we're all too scared & ashamed to say just how much time we've spent reflecting on these scenarios. But, it's as common as a dirty thought.
This need for revenge; it's reflected through all areas of society. Through the media, through the justice system. We don't talk about it, we just hide it away. Instead we just sit back and cheer on Liam Neeson as he dispatches another horde of Albanian gangsters.....

But revenge, it's a primal urge. Like someone insults you, you play it out in your mind. What you'd say, how you'd strike back, and it feels a hell of a lot more empowering than feeling helpless.
These thoughts: They're how we insulate ourselves from feeling helpless and from experiencing their vulnerability.
But revenge isn't just about the act of inflicting hurt, or even taking back control. At it's core, it's a deep felt need for the other person to not only understand our experience & our pain, but too LIVE IT! Too live that pain so they can truly understand.

So revenge at it's basis, at it's very core, is still a need for connection. And these thoughts, they give you a sense of control.
You suffer trauma, you receive an insult, or something triggers you...Your physiology it goes into overdrive and that rage response, that anger response, it's not a response to the hurt being inflicted, but rather from the feelings we experience. And what's needed in that moment is understanding & acknowledgment.
Those responses, if they're not addressed and worked through, they can cripple you. The most important thing a man can do (in that moment) is acknowledge his hurt. It's amazing how difficult the step is, especially for a male.
This is what a lifetime of messages of, "Man up!" and forced stereotypes of masculine stoicism does to a man.

Ask yourself when you get angry, 'What degree of vulnerability do you allow yourself to feel?'
You may feel it after the fact. When your adrenaline starts to dissipate, when you start shaking like a leaf...Then you feel vulnerable. That fear over what you did, or what could have happened.
And I've experienced that fear many times. You literally see your life play out in front of you. Your immediate present & what your future may look like behind bars, or whatever. It's similar to a near-death experience and inside each person (in that moment of rage) is a child that needs to be protected.

So what happens? You go on the attack, you need to take your power back, and this anger-reaction, it stops any further introspection & you never get to identify the hurt that sparked this reaction.....

So, if you never allow yourself to experience this vulnerability, how can you identify triggers? How can you protect yourself?
Because a man without awareness is a response automation.
He's just reactive with no further clarity.
That confusion only leads to more suffering, and too more manipulation.

I look around today and ummm.....I look at relationships.
Relationships between man & woman today, they're a cesspool of unconscious resentment. And the degrees to which people overcompensate and the degree to which we employ cognitive dissonance in relationships...All of that. It gets suppressed.
You can convince yourself up and down that your relationship is working, that you're happy, but that resentment along with the guilt of having thoughts of violence, or hurtful intent towards your partner; it always leads to self hatred.
I mean, you picture it. You're sitting across from your partner at dinner & she's talking and she won't shut up. And in the back of your mind, you're thinking how good it would feel to stick your fork in her face. Just so she would understand you. That she wouldn't invalidate your feelings for once.
I know this sounds shocking, but if this was a woman saying this about her husband, I'd be getting applauded by a studio audience right now.
But of course men can't have these thoughts, can they?

This is it. This is how men are turned into footstools & lapdogs for women & society. These men, they're living in a perpetual state of guilt, or self loathing. They're emotionally dead!
And a man, he can often feel guilt for having these thoughts of violence & revenge. Sometimes against those closest to him. you know the same people who don't respect his sacrifices and who exploit his love.
These thoughts, at their core, they're a cry to the world.
Saying "I MATTER, and my feelings, my experience is valid and I want you to acknowledge it! But as men, we don't cry out, we hide away.

You look close enough & you'll see it. Footprints across the back of most men, just human escalators.
Never forming their lips to mouth the words, that their dignity, their time, their lives, their rights are more important than the precious feelings of those around them, i.e. the same people who degrade & exploit them.
And these men, they never voice their pretense of a society. It's a soul destroying nightmare for most men.

This is the way it is for so many males. A life of shame & silent resentment.
So furthering our understanding and awareness, it's the best defense a man can have.
We need to trace that pain. We need to trace that vulnerability and fear into our past & identify the triggers. Because there's a lot of ticking time bombs out there. I was one of them. If you fly blind on auto-pilot, you will bring the past into the present, and that hurt will be intensified tenfold.

And nobody stuck up for the child you once were, no one stood up for you when you were subjected to ongoing systematic abuses by your ex-partner and the courts.
Oh but now you're awake, oh yeah you are awake & you've made the promise to yourself that no one is gonna hurt you again. You're gonna make sure of that, you're gonna fight! You're gonna do whatever it takes to protect yourself. I lived this. I lived it! And so many men do, they've just become reactive.....

Now every perceived slight is augmented in the mind. Everything is scrutinized. Every remark, every gesture & you are waiting, you're anticipating. Just waiting for your chance to lash out!
It's a chance that rarely eventuates. So you end up swinging at ghosts in the dark.
So instead that need to lash out, that resentment, it has nowhere else to go and gets turned inwards....This is standard practice for men, because where else are they gonna turn?

So a man, he reaches for the bottle to numb his pain, or he acts out.
He shuts down his emotions, and justifies every action.
That man; he destroys himself from the inside out. Whatever pain you inflict on a man; he will punish himself a hundred times harder.
Subconsciously he's wanting the world to feel remorse, or some degree of guilt over what they have done to him.
And this happens a lot when you see men state that what they've experienced is something that no one else can understand, until they themselves have experienced it. It pushes people away. It's their protective buffer, but in reality; it's a cry for help.
It stems from a need for connection. It's our go too....

Experiencing rage, anger; it's a deflection. So we don't have to experience vulnerability, so we don't have to experience pain.
You see this online when people dig their heels in & get defensive. Of course the medium lends itself to that.
So it's easier just to claim you feel nothing rather than face the herd.
It's like a child stamping their feet. They're seeking attention.
Then they just storm off in a sulk angry at the parent for ignoring their needs.
It's misguided, it's confused.....

And to forgive, means too let go. At some point a man has to let go.
For the sake of his health, for the sake of his well-being. But most of all, so he can finally be FREE!!

I shook my head at the way this read, as far as what it said that "men" do and the way they are treated.
No, I have no intention of starting any men versus women thing here. The reason I shook my head is because I (a woman) have experienced (more than once) what you've written about.
Turning inward and not speaking up for fear of "making things worse."
Having no one to talk to, etc.
I'm not sure about the revenge part and I can promise you that, I for one, wouldn't be applauding ANYONE for wishing they could stab someone else in the face with a fork. It's quite disturbing that human beings can be pushed hard enough (mentally) to have such thoughts. *sigh*

ardour said:
Sounds like no-one read the OP's wall-o-text which included a lot of obsessive violent thoughts towards a partner. Better to get out of the situation.

LonelySutton said:
But I will never understand that. Our entire jury system says - humans have to decide here on earth. If you believe in god, he supposedly created us in his image and, if you don't, Humans are apparently like a mutant species that has self awareness. Either humans make the decision or no one does.

The jury system functions to determine guilt, a judge imposes a sentence in accordance with the law. You could argue that sentencing satisfies society's urge for revenge, along with obviously acting as a deterrent while protecting the public; something that may or may not include "imposing death". However no one individual gets to dictate that.

There is a distinction between desiring revenge and thinking you should have the right to impose your own brand of punishment. I don't think wanting revenge is necessarily wrong.

I have these thoughts about hurting certain people who "deserve" it, but it's mostly pointless, because a/ they possibly aren't the same people now b/ it demonstrates they have power over me, enough to occupy the mind c/ the desire for revenge is often tainted by personal bitterness towards them and can't be considered objectively just.

Very well said my friend & others. Interesting feedback.

Forgive me if this sounds a bit harsh, but I'm not going to mince words and sacrifice honesty for acceptable language.

I do indeed want revenge. I proudly admit it. Absolute and vile hatred devours every second of my life.

I need revenge on all the people in my life who ever abused or betrayed me. I won't know peace until I can inflict my suffering on them and hold them accountable, so that they will never be able to traumatize me or laugh at my suffering again.

My depression literally keeps me up at night and I'm constantly reminded of the fact that my abusers are still alive. They've made it clear to me that they will never apologize and will never do anything to make up for their atrocities - their lives have become synonymous with their abuses. All of humanity ******* makes excuses for them with their defective, piece-of-honeysuckle intolerant ideologies. They ******* worship the most evil people in history and portray oppressed and misunderstood as nothing more than honeysuckle under their heel. God forbid I ever call them out on their bigoted genocidal slander, because that would just make me a "n**ger-loving SJW", as I've literally been called that in the past.

I don't care to offer any specific examples because I know they would just be shot down. Apparently I'm a "*removed*" or "*removed*" who's the laughing stock of the whole world for having an ounce of legitimate emotion. As all these subhuman, pop-psychology vomiting Scientologists would have it, my suffering is all my fault and I deliberately choose to perpetuate it, right?!

Wrong. These conformist, lying sacks of honeysuckle are unspeakably heartless and worthless that they would invalidate someone's suffering like that, regurgitating these victim-blaming fallacies straight off a ******* script. I have no control over my emotions. It is an alien concept to me. It's not like a person in the moment of being murdered can say to himself "oh, I'm gonna be happy!" and his brain distributes the appropriate chemical to make himself feel happy. Doesn't ******* work that way, hate to break it to you.

I've been ensnared in the most heinous circumstances imaginable all my life and every single effort on my end to make my situation better has proven absolutely fruitless, and that's when it doesn't just backfire completely. Not a single day passes by that isn't laid to waste by my own mind and all the worthless pieces of honeysuckle I have the misfortune of calling my friends and family. What I've been through has messed me up to a degree that can not be comprehended, but is constantly felt.

Only one thing will ever be able to make me able to feel joy again, and that is sadistic, merciless revenge. Being able to pump my abusers' lungs full of Zyklon B and revel in the sight of them vomiting blood, to hear the sound of them choking on their last breaths... the catharsis would be unspeakable. The thought of me being able to perpetrate this is the only thing that keeps me clinging on to this worthless life. There is no excuse for letting these worthless sacks of filth survive.

My sanity was murdered long ago, and every second that these individuals continue to draw breath is the carcass of my sanity being raped once more.

Go ahead and lynch me!

Doing the best for myself that is possible would be the greatest revenge. I need to remind myself of that. Although there are very few individuals I actually have a desire for revenge against, it's actually mostly certain political groups I want destroyed.

I don't really believe in the concept of revenge. I admit that it can and does feel good. It just seems petty to me 99% of the time. "An eye for an eye for an eye leaves the world blind." It has to stop somewhere. I think empathy is a better practice.

I will very occasionally have a brief desire for revenge when I am pushed entirely too far; but I never act on it. Then again, I am a very forgiving person unless I'm wronged consecutively.

Either way, The guilt and disappointment in myself will outweigh that brief moment of "feeling good" if I'd ever go that route. Self-righteousness is very dangerous especially combined with ignorance. That's the leading cause of most of our problems as a species, in my opinion.

Similar stance to edgecrusher, and the never ending cycle (unfortunately). Lead by example, kill them with kindness.

Hope it's okay to bump this thread after no-one has posted in it for six years.

I'm glad this thread exists. I thought I might have to make it myself. Thoughts of revenge have been a central theme of my entire life, I have struggled with urges since adolescence, I've had a strong desire to get revenge on everyone who has hurt me, and it's ruining my life. I think about it every single week, and I usually fall down a rabbit hole and end up ruminating for hours on end over how miserable my past was and all the times I've been screwed over. I've spent countless hours crying, wondering what did I ever do to deserve some of the things I have been through.

I hold onto grudges. Always have. I'm still deeply upset about things that happened two years ago, I'm even upset about things that happened nearly a decade ago. I don't know how to move on and I constantly wish ill on those who have hurt me.

I know almost everyone has a better life than me. Sometimes I foolishly browse social media and see people I knew in school who made my life hell - they're getting married, working good jobs, have a thriving social life. They are winning in life. I've been relegated to the bottom of the social hierarchy, left to wallow in eternal misery. It's not fair.

Hope it's okay to bump this thread after no-one has posted in it for six years.

I'm glad this thread exists. I thought I might have to make it myself. Thoughts of revenge have been a central theme of my entire life, I have struggled with urges since adolescence, I've had a strong desire to get revenge on everyone who has hurt me, and it's ruining my life. I think about it every single week, and I usually fall down a rabbit hole and end up ruminating for hours on end over how miserable my past was and all the times I've been screwed over. I've spent countless hours crying, wondering what did I ever do to deserve some of the things I have been through.

I hold onto grudges. Always have. I'm still deeply upset about things that happened two years ago, I'm even upset about things that happened nearly a decade ago. I don't know how to move on and I constantly wish ill on those who have hurt me.

I know almost everyone has a better life than me. Sometimes I foolishly browse social media and see people I knew in school who made my life hell - they're getting married, working good jobs, have a thriving social life. They are winning in life. I've been relegated to the bottom of the social hierarchy, left to wallow in eternal misery. It's not fair.
I can relate. But not in the same way it's expressed on here.
It's one thing to hold on to grudges or feel vengeful about everyday facts of life. I don't believe in that and don't think there are many valid reasons to seek out revenge on perceived wrongdoings. Most of the time, we fail to appreciate the ways in we, ourselves, participated at creating them. It's very rare to be just a target, usually some artirudes or decisions on our parts contributed to it. Ultimately as the poster said, you have to let go.

Then, there's the other category. The actual, very real reason to want to seek out revenge. A heinous act. In the category of the ones who create a Batman. Or a Punisher. That's a different level.
One I personally don't know how to get rid of. Nor do I believe, for certain people made the way they are, that you can actually let go of it. You're just stuck living with it. Fighting it.
Hopefully, without incident, the rest of your life.

Revenge has never been in my nature. Distance is my remedy. I'm a runner in as much as when violated I will leave for places that don't remind me of the violations. If you are left, you are likely left for life.

But it has been difficult to let go of those violations. Without resolution, without having faced my violators, I am remanded to dwelling of these things. They've become a part of me. I cannot run from my own mind. I have run from my family. I have run from my friends.

It's not that I up and leave without notice. I open a door for resolution. I never have left without having provided last contact. It's when I don't hear back that I lock the door.

Currently all my doors are locked. There is no relationship in my past that I have any urge to rekindle. I'm sure my absence hasn't disturbed them any. Even my relationship with my siblings was always thinly veiled. My running has only hurt me in as much as I am mostly alone. But loneliness is more easily managed than is betrayal.

So revenge is one of those things that I am all for but I would never tell my son to act on it. He is not the type of person that could hurt someone, despite how he was wronged, and not feel badly about it afterwards. I, on the other hand, am and have retaliated and once I felt the playing field had been levelled I was able to move on not thinking, doubting, or regretting a thing. That's the important thing, is getting revenge really going to make you feel better or will it make you feel worse? If its not just in you to act on something instinctively I would probably try to move on and let go somehow. This of course depends on what the wrong was done to you. I really feel like the person who chooses not to seek revenge is the better person. Yes, you may have these thoughts but not acting on them is you controlling yourself and not allowing your feelings to cause you to do something you wouldn't normally do. I would definitely from now on not allow a wrong to go unaddressed so that it festers.

27 years ago my wife and I left our respective spouses for each other. We had both been in relationships where we both were the strong, supporting members of our marriages. We'd known each other very well for 25 years, our siblings were married for years and we have numerous nieces and nephews together, and many more things in common.
Within 2 months of us leaving together her focus was drawn away from our relationship by all the younger guys at work hitting on her (she had a KILLER ass and body) which is typical for a woman who had just become free of a claustrophobic relationship that they've been in since the age of 17. She turned her back on me emotionally and ignored me for over a year while flirting with everyone else.
This has affected our relationship ever since. Maximum strife and pain has been the norm for 26 years. We're finally able to (barely) talk about it and have agreed to seek professional help with counseling because somehow we do love each other very much and want to save our marriage.
My wife swears on the lives of her children and grandchildren that during her flirting she never cheated on me nor touched any other man. (I'm not convinced because of several instances that happened.
The only thought of revenge that I've had is the thought that if I went out and had an affair it would balance out the overwhelming hurt and pain that I've had to deal with for 26 years. Still undecided if I'm going to do it or not, I've been looking online but it seems that all the women who are there are scammers who are looking to rob you. Going to join a gym, maybe have more luck there, but probably not.
Would like your opinions on this, thanks for your help in advance.

27 years ago my wife and I left our respective spouses for each other. We had both been in relationships where we both were the strong, supporting members of our marriages. We'd known each other very well for 25 years, our siblings were married for years and we have numerous nieces and nephews together, and many more things in common.
Within 2 months of us leaving together her focus was drawn away from our relationship by all the younger guys at work hitting on her (she had a KILLER ass and body) which is typical for a woman who had just become free of a claustrophobic relationship that they've been in since the age of 17. She turned her back on me emotionally and ignored me for over a year while flirting with everyone else.
This has affected our relationship ever since. Maximum strife and pain has been the norm for 26 years. We're finally able to (barely) talk about it and have agreed to seek professional help with counseling because somehow we do love each other very much and want to save our marriage.
My wife swears on the lives of her children and grandchildren that during her flirting she never cheated on me nor touched any other man. (I'm not convinced because of several instances that happened.
The only thought of revenge that I've had is the thought that if I went out and had an affair it would balance out the overwhelming hurt and pain that I've had to deal with for 26 years. Still undecided if I'm going to do it or not, I've been looking online but it seems that all the women who are there are scammers who are looking to rob you. Going to join a gym, maybe have more luck there, but probably not.
Would like your opinions on this, thanks for your help in advance.
I would definitely not seek out to cheat especially if you aren't positive that she cheated on you. Either believe her and move on somehow or continue to believe what you believe and either deal with it or leave her. I would think if you loved someone then hurting them would only hurt you more in the end. Now if you tell her that you are seeking the attention and affection of another woman then that is a different situation. If your goal is to hurt her that can be achieved without cheating on her. If you just want to be with another woman then just own it as that. Don't hide behind some idea you have that she cheated on you. This is what absolutely blows my mind about some married couples. If you aren't happy then figure out what will make you happy if those things align....great! If not then maybe its time to move on. Here's the thing, if you meet another woman while you are still married and living with your wife are you going to tell this other woman you are married? If no, then you are not only deceiving your wife and actually yourself, but also a completely innocent person. If yes, and the two of you have a little fling what does that say about a woman who would sleep with another woman's husband without the other woman knowing about it. In my opinion, it says she's a sleazy cunt. It could be my mother and I would think the same thing. Me, I have zero respect for people that cheat. I mean really there is absolutely no excuse for it. Just tell your wife what you want.

I would definitely not seek out to cheat especially if you aren't positive that she cheated on you. Either believe her and move on somehow or continue to believe what you believe and either deal with it or leave her.
Isn't cheating on your spouse also cheating on who you cheat with? If you cement a relationship there can never be trust between you. You were both willing to cheat or accept cheating.

If you cannot manage the relationship you are in then end it. Once free any relationship you start will at least start honorably.

If you cannot manage the relationship you are in then end it. Once free any relationship you start will at least start honorably.

Reminds me of my mother..

She and my father were married for around 13 years or so around the time she cheated.

She was using "work" as an excuse for an affair for quite some time, she wound up getting pregnant with the other man's child all while living under the same roof as father and I. A very psychologically damaged individual person in hindsight, my mother was, with a swollen ego to boot. She actually had me meet that that individual she was cheating on my father with when I was 10 years old. Told me it was her "friend" - I knew even at 10, something was severely off, I also knew my mother was a liar. A bad one at that.

It's one thing to cheat, which is wrong in all forms and capacities, but it's another from of deranged mental instability to even conceive of the idea to drag your child into your disgusting low-life escapades. Who does that?

anyway very long and miserable story short - she wound up leaving and I chose to stay with my father. When I chose my father, she kept communication - if you would want to even be call it that with me for maybe a year or so - then stopped. No birthday cards, no phone calls, no money ever from her was seen throughout the rest of my entire childhood. She has not seen me in the flesh since I was 13 years old.

I did try and reach out to her the older I got, but it was useless, she was the same person, rewriting history, not owning up to all of her bad choices and lies - in her eyes, she remains a saint who could do no wrong. No one can really maintain a relationship with anyone who is delusional and won't even admit their wrong-doings.

The guy she left my dad for already had, at the least from what I know, 4-5 other kids from various women...and he wound up leaving her a few years down the road. Didn't last long.

Latest posts

Back