Being Good at Your Job vs Enjoying Your Job

• Thread starter AmytheTemperamental
  • Start date
Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In order to be good at your job, do you have to enjoy it?

• No, I am good at my job, but don't really enjoy it.

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Yes, I ultimately want to be good at my job and enjoy it.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever pays the bills works for me.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
A

AmytheTemperamental

For people who are working or looking for work... Does being good at your job have to come with enjoying your job?

I have come to realize that I am pretty good at my job. It seems lately that I have really grown into the position. I am a lot more confident and know that I can rely on myself to keep things moving. But I don't think I really enjoy it. And it doesn't feel like something I will want to do forever.

Being good at your job doesn't guarantee you'll enjoy it by any means but not being good at it pretty much guarantees that you won't in my opinion.

I'm not really good at anything so I think I would get a huge sense of accomplishment out of being good at something that would be almost like doing it. I find j get a sort of pleasure from positive feedback even if it's for simple things anyone can do, and that feedback makes me feel almost like a good person. I'm sure if I was good at more things and had higher aspirations for what I could be, I wouldn't get the same kind of rush out of being good at something and would want more.

I'm with Paraiyar on this one. I was good in my line of trade before and though my last work environment was rather toxic as a whole, it didn't stop me from enjoying it.

Not being good at your job comes with all sorts of detrimental side effects, usually in the form of constant reprimanding from management and colleagues alike which wouldn't make it very enjoyable, would it? Unless you only think you're doing everything right and nobody tells you..well, until you get booted.

And finding something you like to do every single day is rather unique, next to impossible in my opinion.

In my case, I could say I allow myself to enjoy it even though it's not really my cup of tea. My job deals with a lot of customer service, and as far as I know, I'm good at it. I can talk to people, but if I can help it, I'd rather not and keep to myself. That's just my personality, an anti-social by choice in social or work settings.

However, having to talk to clients all day long every weekday, it takes a toll on my mental capabilities at times. The only way I can cope with it is to find enjoyment in it. One way or another, I make it enjoyable. Like joking with clients, having a laugh or just poking fun at some of them who can take it - it makes the interaction less ... daunting.

So I'm good at my job, I don't naturally enjoy it but I allow myself to enjoy it for the sake of my sanity really.

There isn't any way to select option 1 and 2. I am good at my job but I don't like it. But I also want to be good at a job and enjoy it.

People at work think it's strange when I tell them I go to work because it's my social life. I don't really need the money.

I am good at my job but I don't enjoy it. I think mostly because I have long passed the point of knowing my job so it is crazy boring. I have asked my bosses to allow change up in job responsibilities but they refuse to do so. They have this idea that employees don't need to be happy. I suppose they are right because most people stay for the pension. I might actually be the first person to actually leave and give up the pension because I am that bored in the job.

can't decide.
I like it sometimes but really all it is somewhere to go to earn some cash.

I think I would have to at least like some parts of my job for me to want to become good at it. Otherwise I'd be content being average at it, especially if more effort does not mean more pay.

I think I might want to do well at it though, so I can prove to myself and whoever is in charge that this is not my level, that I can do better and am worth more money and respect than that. If I am failing at a job that I feel I should more than capable of doing, then that would make me feel like I'm incompetent and I wouldn't like that. Being stuck at the bottom is something that I both fear and despise, because if I have no more potential than that, my life is hopeless. I want to know I can do better. I want to know I can do something. I want to know it's not hopeless.

I don't know. The job world is very confusing to me. Everything feels like it's all just clock-watching to me. Most jobs make me feel like they would make me into a more boring person, regardless of pay, and wouldn't help to make me good at anything I care about. I know that finding something I love is unlikely, but I wish I could find something that I enjoyed at least somewhat.

I feel ya, there are days at my job where I get on my hands and knees to clean already cleaned things. I cannot sit around and watch the clock lol

I am good at my job and I love my job. I just wish it wasn't so hard to go farther. There are days I suspect I'll never get beyond the bottom rung of the ladder.

I'm not good at my job at all. And really, I don't like it that much. But I don't want to leave because it's pretty secure.

I find that I generally don't take much time to develop a routine and become efficient at a new job. I just never really enjoy it. Right now I receive and distribute parts to the technicians at an auto body shop. I'm an organized person, so something like this isn't bad for me. I just have zero interest in cars. Everything about the job is better than my previous job, but I still don't enjoy it. I just feel like.... a drone, or something. I don't even relate to most people there as every other male is more or less into cars to some degree. And sports, fishing/hunting, etc. It's just another "job" that isn't fulfilling.

Latest posts

Back