Medication

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolelt

The Handler
Reaction score
My depression has escalated to the point that cognitive therapy is not working for me anymore. My "lady" doctor told me in December, that I was to the point where she could medicate me if I wanted. I really don't want to be, but emotionally I feel so miserable everyday. Even though logically I have a pretty good life.

I'm scare to go on medication, but I have been spiraling down further and further into my depression since November. I can't get myself to want to even go to a dog show, which is my favorite thing. I told my mom this morning about this, and she told me I really need to get back to the doctor. She and my sister are both on antidepressants, and have had really positive outlooks from using them.

I'm just scare to go on them. I have never in my life done any sort of drug, and I am scare that I am not going to feel like "me" while on them. I haven't gone to the doctor yet, but I am making the appointment today.

I guess what I am asking for is some positives about antidepressants, and maybe some "It's okay to be on them"s.

Sorry to hear you're feeling down currently. And it's a bit strange to me, since you seemed to be doing so well (at least on the surface) last I heard from you.

I never did antidepressants, so I can't really chip in. But as a general rule of thumb, I think it's better to try, and back out if it doesn't work, than never trying at all. If the particular drug in question doesn't "modify your brain" permanently at least, and I would guess most drugs are completely reversible.

Also, there are stories about illegal drugs helping people out of long depressions. But that could just be drug users justifying their usage. I just found some of their stories interesting nevertheless.

I started prozac and elavil two months ago. It took a lot for me to get onto them, and I dragged my feet all the way to the pharmacy.

In the beginning, I was tired all of the time. I wasn't motivated. I ended up leaving my job, and went back 3 weeks later. Since I am busy all the time, the tiredness has worn off. It has also helped me work out my biological clock and I get more sleep at night. I do feel....at peace. I still have my sad days, but I don't fall into bad thoughts.

Before I went to the dr, I hit a low where I thought about suicide every time I walked out of my bedroom, all day long.

I also started doing a work book on Acceptance and Commitment therapy. It has helped me come to terms with my pain. If you are afraid of starting medications, perhaps a workbook could be a place to start?

While they didn't work for me, antidepressants definitely work for some people. There's nothing wrong with going that route if you are having problems and you tried all your other avenues. If you're really worried about, you could always do some research and see what your other options are before you go for the drugs.

But, honestly, with anything...you can't know unless you try, right? If you feel you're at the stage where you want to try the drugs, go for it. Just because you start taking them, doesn't mean that you have to take them forever. Good luck :)

I have been on medication for a while, I feel as though they saved my life. They have worked for me, and hopefully will take the edge off of how you've been feeling.

I was prescibed medication 4 months ago and like Danielle, I feel they saved me. I had tried CBT and pretty much any type of self-help I could find for years. In November I reached a crisis point and went to my doctor begging for help. It actually felt like a huge relief to admit I needed help and to stop pretending that I was managing alone. For me, I felt so much calmer after a couple of weeks, and much more able to focus on the CBT. The pills alone won't get you feeling better, but certainly I felt able to focus. I still have anxious days and days where I hide under the duvet and cry, but I also have days where I can be productive and enjoy things like I used to.

All that said, they're not for everyone. The important thing is to get help. I know now that it's impossible to do it alone.

Take good care.

Maggie.

There's nothing wrong with taking anti-depressants, especially if therapy alone isn't helping. You don't have to live that way. Why not give it a try?
I took an anti-depressant for post-partum depression (Paxil, if I remember correctly). I took it for a period of time and it helped me get back to feeling my normal self - I no longer take it. A close friend took medicine for anxiety and depression - she took it for about 9 months and is off it, back her normal self as well. I know many people take medications long term - that's not always necessary, though.

-Teresa

I have taken medication for my depression and OCD, I stopped taking it when I felt better, but not I think I am going to go back on it, my bouts of depression are coming back along with the OCD issues, it did help me cope with things, I stopped checking my door constantly during the night to make sure it was locked after taking the medication.

I would suggest if your doctor thinks it would help, try taking it and see how you feel.

Latest posts

Back