What makes a true friend?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChocolateMoose

Reaction score
What's your "definition" of a great/true friend? How can you tell if a friend is a good one? Need some opinions.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone who's genuinely concerned with your well-being, appreciates your differences, and will tough out the rough weather.

Someone who'd accept me for me, no matter what my beliefs are, how I look, my bad habits but will still tell me off or advice me when needed. Someone who gives without expecting anything in return and gets into arguments with me about paying for the other or not taking the other's share when it comes to meals or movie tickets.. lol.

A true friend is a person:

..that you can reach out to without fear of being rejected for poor reasons. That makes time for you.
..such that you would rather spend time with that person than simply killing time (TV, browsing the web, etc)
..whose actions tell you that they care about you. They show up, they keep you in the loop, they keep their promises
..who respects you. They will not go against you for their enjoyment.
..who stimulates and challenges you. Makes you try, do, learn things you otherwise wouldn't have.

Quite a high mark. Few people checks out at every point.

- true friends will not talk about you behind your back. If they hear something said about you, they will surely tell you. They will not say anything about you that they won't say to your face.

- they will offer constructive criticism to make you a better person.

- they don't care what you look like, how you dress and they will seek your opinions or advice.

- they will never make fun of physical traits or any issues one has. But...but...say something silly or make an ass of yourself and you can bet they will always remind you of it...in a good way.

- they remember your favorite things or stuff you collect and when they see it they will pick it up for you and say "I thought you might like this." They never expect anything in return, but you will return the favor because you appreciate the thought.

- they will ask for some crappiest favors, and deep down you might wince, but you won't mind because you can count on them to return the favor...and they will.

- they confide in you with their deepest thoughts and secrets, knowing it won't come back to them.

- they never want to see you fail and will be supportive of your actions.

- they will invite you to do something because they enjoy your company.

ChocolateMoose said:
What's your "definition" of a great/true friend? How can you tell if a friend is a good one? Need some opinions.

my #1 thing when it comes to a friend seems to be loyalty apparently

in any case, true friends don't exist in my mind, but in place of them are ones you're more likely to relate to than most people.

so instead, i find that for me, a friend is a person you don't have any expectations for. everything you say in this thread, you will never really find in another person immediately; they are aspects of character that they choose to inhabit or not.

if you respect the choices they make for themselves, you won't have to worry what to look for. the things you look for will instead come to you naturally in the form of your own interactions with those people. but if you don't get anything out from these relationships, don't give up.

This is a good question. And not easy to answer, for me, at the moment.

Theres no qualifications to go by or a list to go off of. Its a feeling you get. You understand when someone is a good friend vs someone that is using you. Unless there extremely good at manipulating people. Our inner voice tells us that so and so is great or makes us question so and so actions. If you feel you constantly have to question a persons motives then usually there not a good friend.

Are None....

as long as someone is not put out, the flow is great...once adversity comes through the door....love goes out the window....

been in a jail for a suspended license I did not know...(ticket from another state followed me) and loved one let me rot for the night...

Had a cancer scare and another relationship said it was too much for her...\

be content with yourself, make good memories with others, but make sure you are taken care of $$$ wise because people fold on you when you go broke...

It's complicated IMO what makes a true friend, but this I do know - you'll be lucky if you find one or two in your lifetime. I think in reality most of society would be part of ALL if the clouded distraction of entertainment was lifted, among other things.

Trust & respect are very important in making a true friendship. If they can't be established or are broken, then there won't be a real friendship there.

ChocolateMoose said:

Honestly it's hard to tell, I don't know.

There are many things what makes a true friend for me but if I would have to say it ''shortly'':

* Accepts you as who you are without trying to change you, you can be yourself without any shame.
* Have a deep bond & connection with, it's more ''effortless'', smooth and natural. (though, there's always few bumps on the road in every friendship sometimes..)
* Love in platonic way like he/she is part of your family.
* You both can cry and laugh together and even after a fight it's all back to normal again.
* When you fall down, they lift you up and vice versa.
* You can call or send a message to him/her at any time. (of course he/she has own life to live but a true friend is always there for you and vice versa)
* You can be ''raw'' and vulnerable with this person, show the real emotions, feelings and thoughts without the fear of getting judged.
* If there's any criticism, it's not because the person hates or dislikes you, but because he/she really cares for your well-being.
* Even after many weeks, months or years (in some rare cases) without seeing/talking each other, when you finally meet it's like the time hasn't changed.

There's some... I could go on and on, lol but better to not make the list too long.

If i murdered someone and called an acquintance, they'd bring a police officer.

If i murdered someone and called my friend, they'd bring a shovel.

Friendship is loyalty.

Making good friends nowadays it is very difficult, but I am sure when you make one close to you, you will feel that is a good friend, because care about you, he/she is interested to know questions about you work, family, and health, besides when you need something important he/she will try to help you to get those things. For sure you will feel that you share hobbies intuitively and you will have the same goals as him/her.

A true friend imo is somebody you can call at 3am when you're having a meltdown and they will listen to you as long as you need them to.

Latest posts

Back