Need a good file searcher.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonymousMe

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm gonna go straight to the point.

I'm tired of my Windows 7 search, when compared to the one in Windows XP, it sucks, so I'm looking for alternatives to replace it.
I downloaded and had the File Search EX for a while, it was awesome, because it worked just like the searcher from XP, but I realized today that it wasn't free, it was a trial version.
I didn't want to pay for it, so I went on to the internet to try and find another similar program, Holosearch looked like a good option, but it nearly infected my computer with a virus.
So after the incident, I decided to ask for some advice here, instead of downloading things blindly.
It's not urgent, but I do use the search option pretty often, because I have over twelve/thirteen thousand files saved. =/ Even though the majority are nicely tagged, the Windows 7 Searcher doesn't help, AT ALL.

So yeah, y'all get my problem.

While I can't suggest a file searcher specifically, I have been using a file manager called "Total Commander" for a while. Mostly to synchronize files between my PC and my external hard drive which worked pretty well for me. It includes a search engine and multiple other useful features. Quite bleak and simple interface. Maybe it's something worth a try.

It's shareware, but does maintain full functionality after the expired 30-day-trial period. You just have to acknowledge it everytime you start it, no big deal though. No ads or additional software comes with it either as far as I remember.

Clickety-click here to get to the homepage.

I use "SearchMyFiles" by NirSoft. It's a powerful search util with a number of options. It can search file contents, search specific date ranges, exclude folders, etc. It's freeware and there's no installer bundled with BS either, it's portable. Maybe all the options are not necessary for a simple search, but there's not a lot of steps required to do that either.

Site & download: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/search_my_files.html

I've noticed that win 7 search seems to overlook files when it wants to, even though they are there.

Thanks for the answers guys.
I'll try the programs you two recommended tomorrow, then tell what happens.

Rodent, I don't know why, but your link doesn't want to open, it just says "server not found." I was quite busy the majority of the day, so I didn't even got to try "Total Commander." =P

As for you, SilentComfort, the "SearchMyFiles" kinda works, it's like a weird mixture of both Window's XP and 7 file searchers, sometimes I get what I want and sometimes I don't. I have a problem with it though: it's slow in looking for things, so I think I'll still stick with the searcher from Windows 7.

Ah well, still, thanks for the recommendations you two.
It's kind of hard for me to accept modern technology when many past things, that didn't need modifications either, worked just fine and XP is an example, it was just so perfect in many ways. ='(

Latest posts

Back