Not happy with my job

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason241

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been at my new job for a few months now. This is a law firm and everyone I work with are lawyers, except for secretary, accountant and myself.

I share an office with several lawyers. The lawyers collaborate with one another daily to complete their work.

My job is marketing related. I'm the only marketing person at the law firm, so everyday l'm working on my own.
This leaves me feeling very left out of the rest of the company.
From my previous work experience, I've always gotten to know my co-workers from working with them on a daily basis.

Because l'm working on my own, there is a clear disconnect between myself and the rest of the employees.

Originally I took the job because it pays very well, and the company has treated me very well by providing me with a new computer, office supplies, benefits, etc.

Another reason I took the job is because I really need to move out of my parents house.
I really need my own space and to move out would require a well paid job.

Everyday at work, my hours seem to drag and I spend a lot of my time outside of work feeling unhappy.

I am fine with the work the company gives me and they love the results I have produced.
It's just the feeling of not being able to fit in at work, since I'm finding people of different occupations have different types of personalities and interest.

I've been spending time looking for a new job but I'm certain I wont find anything that pays as well, since I am from a smaller town with few job opportunities in my field. I would move to another city, but my parents are booth retired and prefer I stay in the same town.

Last week I asked my supervisor if it would be possible for me to work from home, he said he would discuss it with the other supervisors. Guess we'll have to see what happens.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to best handle this situation, I would welcome your advice.

Much Thanks

I would never get any work done at home LOL

My limited experience with lawyers ... they put their pants on one leg at a time
I dont think they are that different from anyone else

Hi there. :)

I would try and stick it out, if I were in your position. As you said, jobs like this are hard enough to come by where you're living and you need it if you're going to afford your own place. Give it a year, your job satisfaction may increase or they might hire more marketing people. If you still find yourself feeling unhappy after that length of time, perhaps consider changing jobs.

I do hope your situation improves and things get easier for you.

I agree with lifestream. Give it a year and see if things improve. Do any of the people working there go for a drink after work or anything like this? Maybe you could suggest it if not.

Every few weeks the company employees have lunch together and we all do socialize.
I socialize with my employees with common interest such as sports, but there's only so
much we can talk about before focusing on work for the majority of the day.

I feel like I've hit a brick wall, not being able to share ideas or learn from my environment.
Thus I start to feel bored and uninterested in work.

When I'm at home, I'm always working on the computer, so no issues there.
If the company doesn't want me to work from home, or if they don't hire any more marketing people,
then I'll need to find another job.

Much thanks for everyone's advice.

If it were me, I wouldn't want to switch to working at home, at least not everyday. If I did that, I'd find my world shrinking up. I'd prefer to be in proximity to people even if my job didn't necessarily interact with theirs.

It probably is a good idea to stick it out for a year. A good reference is a good thing to have. But it sounds like you need to stretch your mind with new ideas. Maybe there are other ways to accomplish this, since the job, in other ways, seems really good.

I've been working at home for the past 5 years. It takes a lot of dedication to actually get anything done, so if you are easily distracted, you don't want to do it all the time.

I couldn't work at home,I would just get distracted,I find it difficult to do any studying,I have to go to a local library or to a cafe.
Do they take breaks at work? if so is it possible for you to go on breaks at the same time?. You said that you've only been there for a feew months and they do have social events,maybe you should try to attend any social events they have and give it more time.

Jason - Some people don't want to mix friends with work and some people are just not looking for friends. I think you can suggest outings but if they refuse; try looking in hobby groups or outings with new people outside of work. It's really hard making friends...I'm in the same position. I've been working for 8 years and haven't made a single friend from work. However, actually having a job is very important and I'd suggest that you stick it out.

Callie - What do you do for a living? Just curious. I'd love to work from home but am not sure what I'd be good at.

Latest posts

Back