Does anyone wish that they didn't have to work?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

IceCastles

I've done well at the jobs I've held; and I'm very ambitious in career advancement and take pride in my work.

However, as of lately, I really wish I didn't have to work.

I feel like...I spend so much time driving/ bussing, at work, dealing with difficult people, office politics, being fake-friendly with (ugh too many...jealous??) people that I know dislike me. It's just so exhausting and by the time I come home with countless chores to do; I don't have much time or energy for anything else.

I'm not really sure if there's any advice for this but I just feel like venting. I would love to work part-time, or not have to work at all.

I've recently changed jobs and I do like my Manager but if I could financially afford giving up my decent-paying, great benefits job...I'd give it up.
My partner seems depressed with his work situation as well.

Really, really would love to not have to work. Even if I could have any "dream job" I can't think of anything I'd love to actually do. I do have some interests but since going back to school as an adult; I see these incredibly young high-school graduates and I feel inadequate in my skills compared to them.

It seems so tiring to have to spend more time with colleagues and clients than with my own family and doing what I want. I imagine I can't retire for another good 30 years or so. The road seems long.

I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same?

I spent 10 years being a stay at home mom. Sometimes I miss it, but then I realize that I am self sufficient when my ex never thought I would be. I have more money than he does, even though he makes more than I do. I succeeded in something that even I thought I couldn't do.

Honestly, I don't think I could NOT work now. I'd love to take off for a week and take my kids somewhere, but I don't think I could go longer than that.

I wished for this, and then I couldn't work for quite awhile due to some health issues. I regretted wishing for it cos I think I'd rather be out and about doing things and earning some income rather than not. It's nice to have days off of course.. but I think it's a matter of finding a work-life balance when you got work going for you... though I do understand sometimes, depending on the job type and commitment, it can be difficult. I guess that's where you gotta decide where to draw the line and what is more important to you.

I would probably still work even if I won the lottery lol. It's the most consistent thing that gets me out of the house every day.

I agree with what others have said here.
I don't work and live alone. Its been over a week now since I had a conversation with anyone.
Iv been shopping and said hi to the check out girl and ive been to the gym and said hi to a few people that I see in there regular but that's it.
Am used to being alone, ive spent more then half my life alone now. But I think having a work life would make life better not worse.
Its like what has all ready been said here. Its not even about the money. Its just having someone to talk to, about anything.

Just me or does anyone else find life more expensive if your not working ... I can spend a pile of money in short time

BadGuy said:
Just me or does anyone else find life more expensive if your not working ... I can spend a pile of money in short time

Because you have more time on your hands.
More time to brows and shop.
Now days just stepping out of the house cost money.
Even if you stay in all day it will cost you more on the heating.

I live alone so dont even get to split the bills with someone.

Very few people wish they didn't have to work. You don't wish that you didn't have to work. What you wish is, a more productive and meaningful work.

When I was a kid, I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wished I could figure out a way to retire early and just enjoy my life. I couldn't wait for the day when I would no longer have to go to places I didn't want to go to do things I didn't want to do. School, and later work, felt like a jail.

It's hard for me, because I am interested in a lot of things and there is no one thing that I would want to do over and over again, every day, for the rest of my life. I want to get ahead financially, because having life dictated to you by money problems, I feel, isn't really living at all. But at the same time, I wouldn't be happy in a financial, business-type job because I find most of that stuff bone-dry. I like creative things, but even then, it's not the ONLY thing I want to do. I like animals, I like history, I like vehicles. There's so many things I'd like to try, or that I don't know if I would like or not, because I haven't had money. And I can't think of any job that would help me develop into a confident, interesting person.

Words cannot express how happy I am not to have to work!!! My 'dream job' was always NO JOB, and I finally got my wish, a few years ago. I spend my days doing what I want to do (mostly art), and no people bothering me (I'm a recluse by choice). It's utter bliss, I tell you! :) :) :)

Crazy Squirrel said:
Words cannot express how happy I am not to have to work!!! My 'dream job' was always NO JOB, and I finally got my wish, a few years ago. I spend my days doing what I want to do (mostly art), and no people bothering me (I'm a recluse by choice). It's utter bliss, I tell you! :) :) :)

If you don't mind sharing, how did you manage to escape the rat race?

I wish i didnt have to work, it is very hard for me to stay at the office all day, and work the whole week. I get sick pretty often just because i dont like being here and i think my body reacts to it.
i wish i had a lot of money so i could buy a big house and fill it with cats. and take care of them instead of working in a boring office.

I feel the same and yes it is a long road (OMG it took forever), but I went down that road and I retired about 2 months ago. So glad I did. Don't give up. You'll get there.

I hate work. I think it's more to do with the co-workers you have to deal with. Yes, they are all nice to me but I can't communicate. It's awkward and I'm not very entertaining. I can't keep the conversation going. I have nothing to share with them, no kids, no relationships, no funny stories or special plans I have for the weekend to share and talk about. I wish I could win the lottery and stay stuck at home. That would be lovely. Have the money and the time to travel and explore. Instead I'm stuck inside a brick building. Wasting my life away, everyday, all the time. How sad.

AmytheTemperamental said:
I would probably still work even if I won the lottery lol. It's the most consistent thing that gets me out of the house every day.

Same. I could be a billionaire tomorrow and I'd still want to work. Occupies the mind. It's a good thing to be able to work.

Very often. But during periods when I'm not working I tend to feel like I'm just wasting my time away and I don't do enough of the things I should.

Yeah I sometimes resent it, including the study I have to undertake to get anywhere. As in right now with yet another assignment taking up the entire weekend. There's a feeling of 'why go through all this', since I have no-one to prove myself to.

But there are benefits to applying yourself that go beyond a better salary (which I couldn't care less about) and "respect" from others. And I imagine the novelty of not having to get up would wear thin quickly.

Latest posts

Back