Does swearing bother you? (on the forum)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MentatsGhoul

Reaction score
I'm someone who tends to swear a lot. Maybe not, "A LOT" a lot compared to some people, but I drop quite a few f-bombs and such in my sentences, because it helps me express myself better. It's a "bad" habit that I've never really made any effort to get rid of, because I never considered it a problem, but lately I've become more aware about the fact that I do it far more than the average person, which is making me ever so slightly self-conscious about it, because I feel it might make me seem rude or a bit intimidating. I noticed because this forum doesn't have a censor/filter for swear words, so I guess it made it seem more obvious for me.

So, my question is, does swearing bother you in real life and/or on this forum, and if so, why? Would you prefer it if people used less swear words? I wouldn't really go out of my way to change my entire speech pattern just because someone out there might be a bit sensitive to it, but I am genuinely interested in how many people actually care and what their reasons are behind it, so I might try to cut down a little (just a little) if it really makes me seem like a total ******.

Nope, not at all. The only time I mind is when people swear excessively around my kids.
But, then, I have my own (shared with someone else) cursing thread, so it would be really odd if I did. lol

I like swearing most of the time. The times I am not fan are when it is f...ing this every single sentence, just annoys me personally. I and I don't like the c word so much, weird because the t word doesnt bother me much. My three best female friends we call each other bitches, which is our way of saying I love you guys.

I always remember my High School English teacher letting us use the word shitty, because she used to say if it was a normal word in Shakespeares time then it was good enough for her.

Language evolves over generations too. My Mother never used the the f word. Now I use it all the time with my Dad.

I agree with Callie about the kid thing, not around my kids. don't like hearing kids swear either. When my kids have done they always turn it on me saying they hear me swear. I just tell that is a luxury you earn as a grown up. I am not the best example of great parenting on this subject.

Not at all. Swears are a crucial part of language to me and when used appropriately, they'll make your speech and writing more expressive. After all, there's a lot more to it than low-brow personal insults.

I swear a lot. A huge amount. It is absolutely no indicator of either my intelligence, intellect or vocabulary. I dont swear in front of children and I'm usually happy to curtail my more 'flowery' language if someone is legitimately offended by it.

I did not notice the 'on the forum' bit - I don't tend to swear much when I am communicating over a text based medium, but if others do, then I have no problem with it as long as it's use does not break the established rules.

I usually swear a lot too i dont mind it neither in writing nor in real life.
of course i try not to swear at work.

Personally, it doesn't bother me. But I can understand why it's not permitted in excess on the forum.

I usually substitute friggen for the F word

If there are kids around i do not use and would probably say something to anyone swearing around kids

This morning a co worker was having a little verbal explosion ..temper tantrum
I asked her if she visited a truck stop on the weekend ROFL
She immediately stopped swearing and started laughing

It's one of those things that I do, but I don't like that I do. I used to almost never do it when I was a kid. It was not allowed at home, and I kinda always had the idea that it was an indicator of low class and character, not the kind I wanted to be. I associated it with frustrated, dumb, unsuccessful people. Whether that's right or wrong, it's what I believed for a long time.

I also didn't like it because it was what the "cool kids" were doing growing up, so, as with almost everything else, if it was something people did to act tough or rebellious, I despised it. I just can't stand it when people do things to try to be cool, it's my pet peeve. Even as a child I thought attention-seeking rebellion was lame because the rebels always lost. I knew getting punished would only make me feel powerless which would make me feel angry. And besides, I just don't want to be on the losing team.

I took up swearing regularly though, when I started getting really angry about things. Regular language just wouldn't do. I was mad and wanted to blow off steam.

Sometimes I slip up, but I am trying to be more conscious of it and swear less. I do still feel it is an ugly habit.

On occasion though, it can be funny in small doses in comedy or some music.

I lean a bit on the neutral side. Can't say I'm completely against swearing, for I'd be lying between my teeth if I said I wasn't consciously aware that I do it from time to time. However, I'm the type to "swear when it's necessary". My family are strict and devoted Christians, so I was brought up to not swear at all. Of course, being somewhat of a rebel all the way up to adulthood, I've learned with my own experiences in life that swearing is a natural expression of feelings, and if that's what flies out your mouth when something triggers a certain emotion, then all is well.

Being a writer, I also have my fictional characters swear at appropriate times. People claim swearing isn't professional, but similar to what Rodent said, it helps the characters along with being a lot more expressive, not to mention realistic. It's in human nature to express ourselves in different manners, unrestrained speech or no. Swearing can help tell someone that you're being honest with your feelings, too, depending on the situation.

I'm just on the fence about excessive swearing. I have a friend who can't seem to stop swearing at every opportunity they have; to where it feels uncomfortable to talk with them sometimes (especially since they know I'm not a heavy swearer). It's okay to swear in my book, but if every other word or sentence is vulgar, then I feel it needs to be toned down (for the sake of respect for others).

It's only unprofessional when misused; at least to me.

Latest posts

Back