Wanting to go back to childhood

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q

quead64

Of late I've reminiscing more and more about my childhood and have a strong urge to want to go back. I want to go back to a safe place and undo all of my decisions. Back to a time when I had so much hope and the potential to become a better person. I think it's because I can't stand who I am right now and the place I'm in. Has anyone gone through this? How did you get through it?

My childhood was far from terrible, but I also suffered a lot of insecurities and needless anxieties. I prefer being an adult just for the knowledge and self-awareness I've gained throughout the years. Now if only I could relive my university years...

If I knew then what I know now ...I would probably be in jail ROFL
but seriously that knowledge would likely change a lot

Given the choice, I would never go back to childhood. I was in some very bad situations where I felt helpless and wanted to get out but couldn't, because children have little to no control over their lives.
There are times now as an adult that I don't like the place I'm in but, fortunately, I've had options and could get myself out. I feel personally that I can always start anew no matter how old I am or where I am, even if it's just in a small way that means nothing to anyone else but me.

-Teresa

No paying bills, no concerns, a more simple way of socializing, the ability of being amazed by new things... Seems like happiness ends at 18 in today's world.

i think that time and it's relation to memory taints our perception of the quality of childhood. everything in the past seems better to me, even if it's just looking back a few years. i know i will be thinking that a few years in the future. the past is just the present in nostalgic and sentimental disguise. a very convincing disguise. i can't resist it either, yes i would like it to be 2006

I like being more self actualized so I don't really miss childhood that much but I kind of wish I could redo the 2008-now time period.

Xpendable said:
No paying bills, no concerns, a more simple way of socializing, the ability of being amazed by new things... Seems like happiness ends at 18 in today's world.

yes that's so true. You've reminded me of something I've been hearing about the idea of everyone receiving a basic income to allow them to pay for rent, bills and food and allow them to focus on other things, but I don't think this will happen any time soon

quead64 said:
Of late I've reminiscing more and more about my childhood and have a strong urge to want to go back. I want to go back to a safe place and undo all of my decisions. Back to a time when I had so much hope and the potential to become a better person. I think it's because I can't stand who I am right now and the place I'm in. Has anyone gone through this? How did you get through it?

I feel something similar. I didnt have a happy childhood but i was loved. The best part of the childhood was the part of no responsabilities (i read another post from you with this theme).

mari1969 said:
quead64 said:

I feel something similar. I didnt have a happy childhood but i was loved. The best part of the childhood was the part of no responsabilities (i read another post from you with this theme).

yes, having someone else steer this ship called life, whether it's a parent or the school is comforting, but when they step aside and give you the wheel to control it it can bring about paralyzing fear because I'm not to sure which direction to go. I can steer it in one direction, only to find out it's the wrong one and can't turn back.

I've definitely wanted to go back and have a simple life. But now more so because the people I love and who took care of me are either elderly and/or ill. I want them to be happy and strong, and then to be the support that I either took for granted or never asked for when I should have. Stronger relationships and a stronger me.

Yes I want to go back. My family was small and poor but we loved each other. I had little concerns and I got out of school every day at 2:30. Now I work during the daylight hours with people I hate, no one greets me when I come home, everything is mine to do... one mistake and leave me stranded... and it doesn't look like I have any chance to change any of it until I am in the ground pushing up daisys. While when your a kid it seems like every 2 or 3 years you entire life and associates change.

edamame721 said:
I've definitely wanted to go back and have a simple life. But now more so because the people I love and who took care of me are either elderly and/or ill. I want them to be happy and strong, and then to be the support that I either took for granted or never asked for when I should have. Stronger relationships and a stronger me.

it's super tough watching loved ones grow old. Right now I'm trying to spend what time I have and make the best. Sometimes something is better than nothing.

I would like to go back to childhood as long as I could retake some major decisions and make my adult life better than it has been. If I had to live my adult life over again in the same way, then I would not want to go back to childhood.

the worst part about it is the jealousy that comes with it, particularly towards teens. I'm jealous that they have so much time, opportunity and potential. I know it's not right because they have their own lives to live, but some days it feels like there's no hope

quead64 said:
the worst part about it is the jealousy that comes with it, particularly towards teens. I'm jealous that they have so much time, opportunity and potential. I know it's not right because they have their own lives to live, but some days it feels like there's no hope

There is no hope. That said, not sure how old you are but history is full of stories of people that didn't start living the life they wanted until 40 or so and went on to spectacular success.

Right now in my life I am miserable because I am about 12 years from starting work and have about 12 years until retirement. It is tough to know if I make it to retirement will I feel differently? Will that extra time I get and the money make me happy and think it is all worth it? Or should I jump ship now and do what I want.

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
quead64 said:

There is no hope. That said, not sure how old you are but history is full of stories of people that didn't start living the life they wanted until 40 or so and went on to spectacular success.

Right now in my life I am miserable because I am about 12 years from starting work and have about 12 years until retirement. It is tough to know if I make it to retirement will I feel differently? Will that extra time I get and the money make me happy and think it is all worth it? Or should I jump ship now and do what I want.

I feel you. I'm 25 and disillusioned. As for the retirement, it's a very tricky situation. If you jump ship your second venture might not work out. is there a way to do it on the side?

Latest posts

Back