What's your magic word?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q

quead64

My magic word for the remainder of the year and hopefully 2017 is "try". I am afraid of doing failure and making decisions, but I want to change that by making my motto ‘just try’. It may sound easy and common sense to a lot of people, but often times emotions such as fear can trump logic. Some things can not be explained away easily especially when they are deeply rooted in the mind.
Even if something doesn’t work out the way I wanted it to, at least I tried. It would be better to say I tried something rather than to be on my deathbed and wish I could go back in time and do something.

Surfing? Sure, even if I never become the best surfer in the world, at least I tried

Learning an instrument? Sure, even if I never become the best, at least I tried

writing? why not. even if I never win an award, at least I tried.

What’s your magic word or words? Is it ‘forgive’, is it ‘yes’ or ‘no’?

Good question :).

I think mine realistically speaking would be 'calm'. I have so many things going on in my life thag can lead to stress and anxiety. I would like to handle everything 'calmly'.

Serenia said:
Good question :).

I think mine realistically speaking would be 'calm'. I have so many things going on in my life thag can lead to stress and anxiety. I would like to handle everything 'calmly'.

may we all be so lucky

today was a big step. The word "try" was in full effect, but also the word "decision" and "worst scenario". I had made a decision to do something weeks ago that I was terrified of, and today I did it. That one decision led to a host of other decisions that positively shaped my reality. I made some mistakes along the way, and things could have turned out better, even now I'm thinking about what i should have done, how much more i should have enjoyed myself, but at least I tried. I aimed for a bullseye and missded the target, but atleast I took the shot. Atleast i did something.

the word "pain" was also relevant. up until the big day i had so much fear and doubts, which was painful, but now that it's over the pain is gone. had i made another decision i would have lived with the pain of regret for the rest of my life. even if it didn't work out, i would have still been happy that i tried

i think it's important to anticipate the worst, because it is can happen, but it's still worth taking the risk. a failure is better than regret.

knowing my emotions I'll probably be back here in the issue section posting about all the wrong things in my life, but today i feel good. i feel like i can achieve any and everything. i know i can't, but that feeling is still important because it gives me the strength to try, even though there is a guarantee of failure.

quead64 said:
today was a big step. The word "try" was in full effect, but also the word "decision" and "worst scenario". I had made a decision to do something weeks ago that I was terrified of, and today I did it.important because it gives me the strength to try, even though there is a guarantee of failure.

Yeh! Glad it went well.

My mantra that I use is "stay on target" I think I got that from star wars. That is just something that pops into my head when I am trying to get something done.

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
quead64 said:
today was a big step. The word "try" was in full effect, but also the word "decision" and "worst scenario". I had made a decision to do something weeks ago that I was terrified of, and today I did it.important because it gives me the strength to try, even though there is a guarantee of failure.

Yeh! Glad it went well.

My mantra that I use is "stay on target" I think I got that from star wars. That is just something that pops into my head when I am trying to get something done.

thanks! You're right about being on target, I get distracted so easily

I think "risks" is another word. Out of the 10 risks I take, 3 would probably be successful, but those three are still better than nothing. In order to get those three benefits I have to keep taking risks and keep working those risk taking muscles and getting used to the taste of failure.

I found a really nice video that gives an example of fearing one pain over another, it can be the fear of regret or loved ones being unhappy being stronger than the fear of failure

ladyforsaken said:
My word will probably be: Live. I need to get a life lol.
I know the feeling :)

magic word...hmmm....bibbidibobbodiboo

I think it must be "later" as I keep telling people, i'll do that later

I think I just changed your pumpkin into a magical coach with a handsome prince...but don't forget about that slipper!

Mine is "tomorrow"....it is after all a new day full of promise. My day. :)

Latest posts

Back