Do you believe this phrase is rude?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenia

Reaction score
"Mind your own business."

I was wondering how people feel about this phrase? Have you said it? Or have you had it said to you? Obviously a large part is in the delivery and the situation, need to be taken into consideration.

I witnessed a woman come upto another today, and enquired something that seemed fairly personal about her relationship. They obviously knew each other, the other woman looked taken aback for a moment, but then quietly told her "My marriage is none of your business". This woman didn't like that and stated "There is no need to be rude about it".

There were a few people stood close in a line and heard it all, which I felt wasn't pleasant for her, and she had flushed after the woman had left. I thought the woman who had approached her was out of order to begin with, in my opinion she was being rude. I thought she delivered it in a calm way.

How about if the phrase was used in an agressive way, meaning to tell someone to back off? Do you consider it rude then? At what point is anything actually someone elses business? The marriage is between the Husband and Wife.

Interested to know peoples views or any anecdotes relevant.

In general, I would say no. The woman you mentioned had every right to say that it was none of the other's business and I don't find it rude. I mean, it CAN be rude to say it, but on the other hand, if you have to say it, the other person is being far more rude than you are.
Sometimes, it just has to be said. As for it being rude, I suppose it would depend entirely on how "offended" the other person chooses to be. In situations like that, is there another choice? Answer the question, ignore it or tell them to back the fresia off.

No, I don't think refusing to disclose personal information is rude. The only way to see this as rude is by judging how abrasive and loud her reaction was. So it's not about the statement and all about how it was conveyed. And the way you described it, it didn't seem abrasive at all. The other person may feel entitled to this information and interpretes this as a breach of trust, but this is mere conjecture. We don't know how close they really are.

I don't think it's rude. Maybe her tone was a bit snappy. But telling others to mind their business shouldn't be considered rude. Some people don't want to hear it, and I think that's what they really get pissy about. The fact that they wanted to be in someone's situation and were told otherwise. But I don't consider it rude.

Asking about someones personal business in a public place where other people can overhear isn't very appropriate. Usually when I've used that phrase it's when people can't get the hint and I want them to back off and stop. It certainly can kill a conversation though.

Latest posts

Back