Did anyone change diploma/degrees? What is your post-secondary story?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

IceCastles

Soooo...all I have is a highschool diploma. I suffered severe anxiety thoughout my school years and did not go to college right away. I was in a bad living situation for many years until 2014. 2014 I started going to school part-time while working full-time.

I became pregnant in 2015 and continued schooling even after having the baby and during my maternity leave. I feel so drained and exhausted. I knew I'd be tired but this is a whole other dimension of tired (driving 2+ hours everyday, running from building to building for classes, pumping between classes, waking up every 1-2 hours to a crying baby in the night, struggling to stay on top of schoolwork etc., emotional pain from being away from baby, taking care of the house and chores etc.). The sleep deprivation and being a stressed first-time mom was so overwhelming.

Furthermore, I don't think I could complete the amount of required credits by the program deadline. This is because I cannot afford to quit my job to jump into a field that I don't know if I will succeed. That would mean all of my hard work would have no recognition on paper.

Another thing is throughout the classes; they kept on putting emphasis on having an outgoing personality and ability to network, socialize, connect with people, and sell yourself. "Those" people are the ones that succeed even if they aren't the most skilled/ talented. I've improved but I just don't have "it" and I found people do not like to help me even if I help them.

I'm thinking to change my program into an online one. I feel it's my only choice and it's more related to my current work (Maybe it'll help me advance??)

I'm just feeling so guilty to have lost so much time with my first baby and $6,000. I know it might not sound like a lot of money to some of you, but it's a lot for me especially with a big mortgage and family. I wish I had gone this route from the beginning but I now realize that maybe this program isn't for me.

I'm not sure how to overcome this guilt and regret that I'm feeling.

What are your schooling stories? I'm wondering if any of you have gone through something similar or maybe some of you have some happy, inspirational stories? :)

I did in transition between high school and university. It was a good decision because I seem to do much better in what I'm studying now. Probably with former field of study my interest would diminish and disappear before I could acquire necessary skills. I have passed the regret stage and it wasn't completely my fault to study what I did in high school regarding that my school counselor back then did a good job in misguiding me. Maybe it was meant to be like this because although I'm studying another field that is so different in nature, my knowledge from high school years still influences my observations and has given me a different array of skills than my peers who has studied a similar field to what they are studying at university.

Considering the emphasis on extroversion, have you considered a career that doesn't require much human interaction and can be done in a pre-planned, organized and less crowded enviroment?

Good luck with everything. I see you're going through a tough time in life. I have juggled between a job and study and know the pressure and stress it brings.

Latest posts

Back