Band frustrations

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Paraiyar

Ever since my black metal band broke up in early 2008 I haven't been able to get a band together and get gigging. As a result, the remainder of my teenage years and half of my 20s have gone without me having been in a band doing gigs. I've tried everything to get a group together but people just can't commit it seems. I think I'm in the wrong city and the wrong country for that matter. New Zealand being such a small place just seems to make it much more difficult to find people.

Now my analog delay pedal is messed as well, the repeats are clipping in a real nasty way (all guitar gear talk so don't worry if you don't follow) and the overseas company that repairs the model I have isn't getting back to me so looks like I'll have to fork out $269 for a BOSS one at my local Rockshop. This is killing my enthusiasm since I can't play at any decent volume without horrible clipping unless I have that delay turned off and analog delay is a big part of the sound I go for. Again, this is all guitarist talk so don't worry if you don't follow, the essence of it is that this is just a PITA that is making me not want to play.

I don't know what the point of this thread is other than to serve as an outlet for me expressing something that's been grinding on me for a while.

Cheers.

There is loads of small bands like that near where I live. You would love it here.
We used to go watch one most Monday nights back in the day lol

I can hear your frustration. One of the older guys that was my mates dads mate that we used to go around to watch all the different bands in the pubs ended up on stage one night playing the guitar. He really was very good. He I know has been all round the world and the only thing he ever took was his guitar. His like an old timer now but I used to love all the stories how he busked around the world with nothing but his guitar.

Keep trying man. You might end up in a band again yet.

I know if I was in a city like Berlin or Paris or London that things would be so different. I just don't want the last half of my 20s to be the same.

If you have a tap tempo, you might want to try adjusting that. The faster the tap, the faster the repeat, or slower.

If you have timing and repeat knobs you could also try adjusting those.

Delay pedals are EXTREMELY sensitive to setting changes. So it's a common thing to step on the pedal, and accidentally move a knob, and throw the sound off for yourself. Then of course getting it back is like trying to find a needle in the haystack.

If your settings aren't right, then I'd say just write more material without it for now, and think about it later. Or if you're just using the standard delay effect you could try emulating the effect yourself by playing things in the chord twice, though it won't quite sound the same.

As for being in a small area?? Honestly, don't get discouraged by it. Black Metal was MADE by a bunch of people who were basically crust punk nearly-homeless guys doing garage/storage unit type of material. It only became big by accident anyhow. I'd say dig around for local thrash and death metal musicians. If you can't find any, than look into just doing the one-man project thing and learning other instruments.

The world around you should not discourage the artist within you, but instead inspire it.

Regarding the delay, thanks but this is a simple analog delay with three knobs and no tap tempo. Settings are the same and I know it never used to clip like this. It still sounds alright at low volumes but as soon as I turn up, it starts to clip in a bad way. I still have my Strymon Timeline so can write my post-rockish stuff with that and have the analog delay on at low volumes. Should be able to buy the Boss pretty soon anyhow.

Paraiyar said:
Regarding the delay, thanks but this is a simple analog delay with three knobs and no tap tempo. Settings are the same and I know it never used to clip like this. It still sounds alright at low volumes but as soon as I turn up, it starts to clip in a bad way. I still have my Strymon Timeline so can write my post-rockish stuff with that and have the analog delay on at low volumes. Should be able to buy the Boss pretty soon anyhow.

Ah. Sounds like a burned out sector. *****. Those suck.
Well, at least you'll have it replaced soon.

Latest posts

Back