Is the age gap to much? Whats the oldest person you would date?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HybridWarrior93

Reaction score
I started a new job recently at a co working space its awesome we have 3D Printers and a laser cutter and a lot of really cool stuff. Im the youngest person that works there. Im 23 years old. Theres a guy that has a membership at the place I work. Any time he would come in he would tell me hello and when I gave a tour he would try and talk to me. Hes 31 my brother works at the same place as me and I was joking about my brothers age hes 31 as well and the guys like how old are you? I told him and he looked a little shocked haha. Hes also Caucasian and im only usually interested in Hispanics like me. Hes very nice and smart hes also mature and I dont feel were on the same level. But I do like him a bit. I asked him for his number today and he wrote it in my book. Im not sure what im doin :/

I don't think the age gap is that big a deal. If you were 18 or 19, then yeah, his interest would have been strange, but you're both adults. I would just message him and see where it goes. To answer your other question, I am 30 and would have no problem seeing someone twenty years my senior. I don't care to see anyone too younger than me. Three years difference would be the youngest I can go.

I know someone who moved in with a girl.
HE was 19 at the time and she was 37.
She has 2 sons that are from a previous relationship that are closer to his age then she is.
When he first moved there her oldest son was 13 or 14.
So for almost a year she had a teenage son and a teenaged boyfriend.
3 years later they are still together.

Age I dont think makes any differences.
It should not matter.

Evidently a lots of girls in their 20s actually like older men. Hopefully this is true and will still be the case if I'm single when I hit my 40s.

Age is only a number. You are both legal, so that's really all that matters.

I have a few friends who are dating older men and they are very happy. My grandparents were 18 years apart and were happy together. So yeah, if you like the guy, don't let the age gap stop you. Just keep in mind that the age gap might bother him.

That gap doesn't sound bad at all.

Personally I'm not sure what ages of woman I'd date. I'm 27 so kinda stuck in the middle a bit...

Thanx for the answers everyone. After I got his number he told me to call him whenever I like. I wonder if I should of waited to see if he would of asked me :/. Im only familiar with people my age or a year younger. I have only ever had male friends but they were always a year younger than me or like 2 years older than me. Im not sure if I treat this person the same or different because of his age idk how this sh*t works :0 I want to take him to a rave he said he went when he was younger and liked it. But at 31 idk if he'll feel weird goin??

Just treat him the same.
I guess if he dont wont to go somewhere he will tell you.
A lot of people I know still do the same things they did when they where younger.
I would not go night clubbing anymore cos it just kills me off. But I have other people on my FB my age who still love to do that.
I am 41 BTW

HybridWarrior93 said:
Thanx for the answers everyone. After I got his number he told me to call him whenever I like. I wonder if I should of waited to see if he would of asked me :/. Im only familiar with people my age or a year younger. I have only ever had male friends but they were always a year younger than me or like 2 years older than me. Im not sure if I treat this person the same or different because of his age idk how this sh*t works :0 I want to take him to a rave he said he went when he was younger and liked it. But at 31 idk if he'll feel weird goin??

Why on earth should you have waited for him to ask you? If you like someone, take the initiative and do it. No reason to wait.

As for how you should treat him, I would go with....like any other person you enjoy or like. lol He's no different from the next guy just because he's a few years older.

Ask him if he wants to go to the rave, but have a backup plan if he says he's not into that anymore. Not necessarily on the same night, but if he declines the rave, have another option for him to see what's what.

I would treat him the same,it would be more strange for you to treat him differently because it would come across as not natural which isn't the vibe you want to give out. I would also just ask him if he wants to go to the rave.

I am 24 dating someone who is 35. The last few people whom I have dated have been between 31 and 36. I'm getting comfortable with that age group.

If you like and respect each other, why should age matter? One of my best friends is a guy I used to date - there's an age difference of 23 years between us.

My last boyfriend was 18 years older than me. If I were on a dating site,I probably would look at age more closely and used to say I wouldn't date someone who was more than 10 years older than me,but we didn't meet on a dating site and got to know each other before we dated. I think personality counts a lot more than age.

HybridWarrior93 said:

Do you know what else he likes? If you two share another interest, try something along those lines. Many people do tire of the rave scene as they approach 30. He might still enjoy raves, but have some alternatives in case he says no.

Age is just a number, it doesn't tell how compatible two people are or how much they might feel for each other. I used to date and be in a relationship with a guy who is 9 years older than me and we didn't have any issues because of the age gap. 10 years is the limit for me personally but I do prefer to have a partner who is a little bit older than me, but I can't know who he will be, how old he will be etc. Love is what matters the most and the connection between us.

reynard_muldrake said:
HybridWarrior93 said:

Do you know what else he likes? If you two share another interest, try something along those lines. Many people do tire of the rave scene as they approach 30. He might still enjoy raves, but have some alternatives in case he says no.

I dont really know anything that he likes :0

When I got his number he told me to call him. I dont even know what to say. He came into worked today and I tried to look really busy and focused so when he seen me he looked at me but didn't say anything

Personally I'd say that, now that I'm easily past college age, someone just out of high school or just into college is probably too young. Someone more than 10-12 years older is probably too old.

I think age problems are more when people are in vastly different stages of life, like someone who's in high school and someone who's already graduated college and seriously entered the workforce. Someone who's 23 and 31, they're both full-fledged adults, fairly early in life still.

I text him im not goin to call him. I didn't say the text was from me. All the friends ive ever had ive texted weird or random honeysuckle to. If he doesn't text back hes not the kind of person im interested in. Even when they didn't know it was me they still texted something crazy or stupid back. Ill be ready to talk to someone 31 when I am 31. I text "If its not broken why fix it? If its broken then why is it so?"

HybridWarrior93 said:
I text him im not goin to call him. I didn't say the text was from me. All the friends ive ever had ive texted weird or random honeysuckle to. If he doesn't text back hes not the kind of person im interested in. Even when they didn't know it was me they still texted something crazy or stupid back. Ill be ready to talk to someone 31 when I am 31. I text "If its not broken why fix it? If its broken then why is it so?"

You can't really blame him if he decides not to text back. A lot of people would be reluctant to send responses to unknown callers/texters. Do what you think is best, of course. I'm just saying not responding to an unsolicited text isn't the best way to gauge someone's potential as a boyfriend.

Latest posts

Back