I'm very sure there are others...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

snagglet16

This really applies to people that understand.

You know that feeling and reaction when you are just being yourself online and in real life. You just get ignored. Like in this place, or twitter, or some social media site, blah blah.

Like, its the same! And you thought more people would listen to you online...Jeez. I need some assurance that I'm not alone on this.

Yes, I know the feeling very well. You are definitely not alone in this.

snagglet16 said:

You know that feeling and reaction when you are just being yourself online and in real life. You just get ignored. Like in this place, or twitter, or some social media site, blah blah.

Like, its the same! And you thought more people would listen to you online...Jeez. I need some assurance that I'm not alone on this.

That has occurred on a few websites and forums. It's why I seldom sign up for forums or online groups these days. So no, you're not alone on the matter.

Social media is the worst for it. Manly just a popularity contest especially for the younger people.

Dont get dragged into it. Learn to think for yourself and not be shaped like some robot consuming zombie.

Yes, I know that feeling of being ignored (or overlooked) very well because it happened to me.

I've been ignored many times over the past few years on social media - I just cannot seem to find a way into anyone's social circle.

Because of this experience I've given up on making real friends through Twitter: I don't want hundreds of followers (mainly artists and art enthusiasts) who barely give me the time of day as a real person.

Give me one or two good friends over that anytime.

Yeah, it's a topic I used to post about a lot because even talking to people has been hard for me at some points in my life. My 20's have been the hardest of all, since I pretty much have always failed at making friends in the workplace or through places like meetup groups. At my first job I was so busy trying to keep up that it felt like a conversation would just piss off my manager. So everyone else would talk while I'd just be there.

I've found a couple online circles I like through gaming, and am trying to find other regular writers in my genre.

Some of it is just location. It's always a roll of a the dice whether or not someone has the right personality or values to mesh well with a group, and how open-minded people are. If you rub even one person the wrong way, they might make a stink until it's just easier to leave than to have them listening in for an opportunity to put you on the spot and make things uncomfortable.

Forums I think aren't really the best places to make friends as they're decreasing in popularity so much, this is just opinion. Discussions seem to be getting shorter and more heated over the years, as a lot of opinionated people go to them to air their dirty laundry, and others just come to vent. It feels like trying to make friends at a political rally sometimes.

I've also gotten very suspicious of forums as a place to meet people. If you're a woman, plenty skulk around with sob stories for sympathy. I've caught people lying about things like breakups to get attention and it's tainted the experience for me. Some days it seems like it's better to just assume everyone is lying.

Social media is like advertising, which I hate. It's all about posting the right content, at the right times, with the right phrasing to maximize the number of views and responses. Figuring out what people will hear that makes them want to say something. This is one of the reasons I decided I don't want to write professionally, as the authors who are making money are going out and spending massive amounts of time networking, promoting their work, etc.

Bluey said:
Social media is the worst for it. Manly just a popularity contest especially for the younger people.

Dont get dragged into it. Learn to think for yourself and not be shaped like some robot consuming zombie.

i agree and no worries :) i dont want to be like the others in my age group, kinda a sacrifice i feel that im doing but they can go screw off and live in denial

LonesomeDay said:
Yes, I know that feeling of being ignored (or overlooked) very well because it happened to me.

I've been ignored many times over the past few years on social media - I just cannot seem to find a way into anyone's social circle.

Because of this experience I've given up on making real friends through Twitter: I don't want hundreds of followers (mainly artists and art enthusiasts) who barely give me the time of day as a real person.

Give me one or two good friends over that anytime.

yeah twitter isnt such an authentic place to meet authentic people, if you search deep enough and long enough you will somehow stumble into someone OR you can rest a bit and they will come to you...

Tealeaf said:
Yeah, it's a topic I used to post about a lot because even talking to people has been hard for me at some points in my life. My 20's have been the hardest of all, since I pretty much have always failed at making friends in the workplace or through places like meetup groups. At my first job I was so busy trying to keep up that it felt like a conversation would just piss off my manager. So everyone else would talk while I'd just be there.

I've found a couple online circles I like through gaming, and am trying to find other regular writers in my genre.

Some of it is just location. It's always a roll of a the dice whether or not someone has the right personality or values to mesh well with a group, and how open-minded people are. If you rub even one person the wrong way, they might make a stink until it's just easier to leave than to have them listening in for an opportunity to put you on the spot and make things uncomfortable.

Forums I think aren't really the best places to make friends as they're decreasing in popularity so much, this is just opinion. Discussions seem to be getting shorter and more heated over the years, as a lot of opinionated people go to them to air their dirty laundry, and others just come to vent. It feels like trying to make friends at a political rally sometimes.

I've also gotten very suspicious of forums as a place to meet people. If you're a woman, plenty skulk around with sob stories for sympathy. I've caught people lying about things like breakups to get attention and it's tainted the experience for me. Some days it seems like it's better to just assume everyone is lying.

Social media is like advertising, which I hate. It's all about posting the right content, at the right times, with the right phrasing to maximize the number of views and responses. Figuring out what people will hear that makes them want to say something. This is one of the reasons I decided I don't want to write professionally, as the authors who are making money are going out and spending massive amounts of time networking, promoting their work, etc.

Have youve meet up with anyone in your online circles? By the person personality thing, is it like finding perfect personality?

I can see your point on forums. It sucks. And that also sucks. I guess it shows, not a lot of people are feeling listened and etc,,, no bueno

Yup.

reynard_muldrake said:
snagglet16 said:

That has occurred on a few websites and forums. It's why I seldom sign up for forums or online groups these days. So no, you're not alone on the matter.

hello

Yeah I've been through this myself. A lot of times. I just try not to let it get to me. I guess if you really want interaction, you gotta keep trying and take the initiative? There was a point of time I wish people would hear me or listen to me but after some time, I let it go and don't expect it anymore and just search for what I want. Eventually I did meet some like-minded people on this forum, made some really amazing friends who have been around for years now and some of which I've even met in person. It's possible, but doesn't happen instantly of course... to get people to hear or listen to you.

Latest posts

Back