Frustrated With Landlord

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Extreme Unit

Reaction score
I have been living on my own for a year now and am getting a feel for what it's like to pay for my rent, groceries, bills, etc. I am renting a room in a house with my landlord, whom I pay the rent to, and for the most part things have been going along smoothly. Unfortunately, I am considering trying to move out because my landlord has three dogs that are very spoiled and extremely noisy: two of them are German Shepard-type dogs and one is a Chihuahua-Terrier mix. This has come to cause me a great deal of stress and anger, mainly because of their excessive barking that my landlord makes no effort whatsoever to control. The house I live in is very small, not soundproof, and my landlord lets the dogs stay inside the whole time, so try to imagine how much noise three dogs can make inside a small house. I cannot open a door or turn a page in a book without provoking the dogs into a barking apocalypse as they make a mad dash towards the source of the sound, no matter how faint it may be. Trying to quietly unlock and open the front door after a rough day at work is stressful because I know the dogs will attack me the second they hear the door open, no matter how quiet I try to be to avoid the encounter.

My landlord dismisses her dogs' constant barking as being scared, but I disagree. They only bark when she's in the house, and they're always grouped together and follow her wherever she goes because they know she's not going to punish them for being too noisy. As soon as she leaves the house, however, they suddenly become quiet and scatter off in different directions which is the only time when I can have some peace; as soon as she comes back, they cluster back together and resume their barking rampage. My landlord has told me many times that if there's ever a problem or if I have any complaints, I should talk to her about it. I am reluctant to talk to her about the dogs, because she doesn't see them as a problem. I get the impression this is where she draws the line. She treats them like angels, and it is apparent that she cares more about her dogs than any human, despite her trying to be helpful with the space where I put my food and not entering my room without my permission, among other things. What if she sees me as a threat to them and kicks me out? And since I've kept a straight face and not told her any of what I'm posting here, she has no idea how frustrated I am at her. In fact, I feel kind of bad because she thinks I'm the best tenant she's ever had: I pay the rent on time and in full, I go to school, I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs. If there is to be a smooth ride out of this predicament, I feel I need to keep it that way.

It's kind of sad to think about, because before I moved into my new house, my family had two dogs who were quiet, obedient, and lots of fun to play with. I was initially excited about meeting my landlord's dogs because I thought I would have the same experiences with them, but I have learned the hard way that not all dogs are as well-behaved as the ones my family had. I know it's not my place to try to make my landlord's dogs be quiet and I know she probably won't do anything about it. I have tried to ignore the dogs and cope by journaling and listening to loud music to drown out their barking, but I am coming to the end of my rope and the thought of living in this noisy madhouse for the next several years is a very scary thought. Moving out, however, would be a difficult decision to make: the rent I pay is cheap, and the house is within walking distance of the college I attend. Even if I found another room to rent in my community, what if the landlord decides to move out after a few months and I end up with a huge pile of rent that I can't pay? A few months ago, my mom offered to let me live with her because one of the related grocery stores was hiring at the time. That offer sounded appealing as I could save more money--and live in a quiet house--but I would have to go through the hassle of switching jobs and schools and the community she lives in isn't much nicer than the one I live in. I could probably inquire with her again, though (I haven't told her about the dogs either).

So, that's my story. Any opinions on what to do?

Well, I am new here and I can be opinionated, so if I should ever step on any toes just tell me to back off or something and I will apologize profusely because it is never my intent to offend.

But, you did ask for opinions and since you asked, here it goes! If I were you I would move back with my mom. It will be a bit of a hassle at first but more peace later, and you have family who love you enough to even offer!

Never take family for granted and hang onto them with everything you've got!!!!

Make sense?
That is, if you come from a nice family where you can enjoy one another - if not then you are better off on your own. Do not under any circumstances move back into an abusive relationship.

ake

BayouWoman said:
Well, I am new here and I can be opinionated, so if I should ever step on any toes just tell me to back off or something and I will apologize profusely because it is never my intent to offend.

But, you did ask for opinions and since you asked, here it goes! If I were you I would move back with my mom. It will be a bit of a hassle at first but more peace later, and you have family who love you enough to even offer!

Never take family for granted and hang onto them with everything you've got!!!!

Make sense?
That is, if you come from a nice family where you can enjoy one another - if not then you are better off on your own. Do not under any circumstances move back into an abusive relationship.

ake

Yes, that makes sense. Luckily for me, my parents helped me get where I currently am so I might be comfortable asking to stay with Mom for a little while. Your reply is appreciated.

Would it be possible to dispatch the dogs pinning the blame on a likely candidate, a local recluse, someone already unpopular with the community at large, or an individual with known and profound mental health issues...the downside to this is that your landlady may then become rather needy and demanding of your time but with careful planning you may be able to turn this to your advantage...just a thought , always helpful to get different perspectives . : )

You are sure correct in that different perspectives are quite helpful sothatwasmylife!

Something else I thought of is, how long have you lived there? Do you think you could get use to them?

I live by train tracks and not so close that it rattles things, being a musician I loved the sound of it, the clanging bells at the gate, the whistles, the rhythm of the train on the tracks. I found the reactions of visiting guests interesting, some liked it too, some found it real annoying. Well, it wasn't anything I could do anything about....

Lately I have noticed that I don't even really notice the train unless I am listening for it. That days will go by and I never hear it.

Could you possibly get use to the dogs?

Or maybe if the dogs knew you better they wouldn't bark so much?

But, being a mom myself, I'd say go to mom...

sothatwasmylife said:
Would it be possible to dispatch the dogs pinning the blame on a likely candidate, a local recluse, someone already unpopular with the community at large, or an individual with known and profound mental health issues...the downside to this is that your landlady may then become rather needy and demanding of your time but with careful planning you may be able to turn this to your advantage...just a thought , always helpful to get different perspectives . : )

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like what you're suggesting is that I devise a plan to get rid of the dogs and then tell my landlord that some psycho must have kidnapped them or they ran out the back gate and never came back. That would be nearly impossible to do, considering everyone in my neighborhood usually minds their own business and the dogs are with the landlord every minute of the day. Admittedly, however, I tend to fantasize about such things.

BayouWoman said:
Something else I thought of is, how long have you lived there? Do you think you could get use to them?

I live by train tracks and not so close that it rattles things, being a musician I loved the sound of it, the clanging bells at the gate, the whistles, the rhythm of the train on the tracks. I found the reactions of visiting guests interesting, some liked it too, some found it real annoying. Well, it wasn't anything I could do anything about....

Lately I have noticed that I don't even really notice the train unless I am listening for it. That days will go by and I never hear it.

Could you possibly get use to the dogs?

Or maybe if the dogs knew you better they wouldn't bark so much?

But, being a mom myself, I'd say go to mom...

I have lived with my landlord for one year. The dogs know me perfectly well, but that has nothing to do with their barking. They bark because they are spoiled and they know the landlord will let them get away with it. I don't think I can get used to the dogs because, as said before, I have tried to be patient with them and the landlord but now I'm just fed up.

Incidentally, I don't think I'd mind living in a situation like yours. I too was fond of trains as a kid and hearing the sounds they make brings back some nice childhood memories.

I like the trains too, I find it comforting somehow. How would a train be comforting? I love napping in the summer with the window open and a breeze blowing through and hearing the train as I drift off...

As far as your situation, I don't think I'd like living there either.

I am a cat person to begin with. I like dogs, they are nice to pet but I don't like taking care of them and we don't seem to communicate very well.

Cats on the other hand I find extremely cool and we seem to commune, as in I think I know what they are trying to tell me and I think they understand me. I find those little dogs that are so yippy really annoying.

I don't like how people who own dogs tend to get in my space and then just assume that I will like their dog as much as they do, and then get offended when I tell them differently. I had a friend one time bring her dogs over and when I opened the door to her she just let them loose in my house - and I have a cat that is deathly afraid of dogs! When I told her to get them and take them home she got kind of huffy but then got over it. I've had several incidences with dog lovers who just assume that their dog should be allowed in my cats' territory. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way...

sothatwasmylife said:

For humor's sake, I will make myself the sane one in our relationship and volunteer you as tribute. :D :club:

OP - if you can move, move. If not, then there has to be some way in which you two can find a compromise. Perhaps she would be willing to get one of those things that makes a noise only dogs can hear when they bark too much. Or maybe some obedience training? Your living situation shouldn't be uncomfortable to you when you are a paying tenant. But I would be prepared if you choose to continue pushing the issue...She may work to have you leave. Always have a plan B. A legal one would be best :D

I don't know, I think I still vote for mom. The suggestions seem good but a lot depends on the landlord carrying them out and you don't know that s/he will do that and then you will still be stuck in this uncomfortable situation.

I would add though that mom and you should lay down some ground rules so that you will be treated more as an adult and have adult freedoms and responsibilities than as a child. I use to hate going back home for I always felt like I was treated like I was 16, even in my forties!!!

One of my adult daughters lives with me and we have a great realtionship and we both set guidelines as needed to maintain our own personal space and freedoms. I love having her here. But it is more like a room mate type of relationship.

Well, thanks everyone for your comments. I did end up taking a risk and talking to the landlord about the dogs, and am glad to say that the confrontation went better than expected. She apologized for her lack of awareness and said she would try to take better control of them when I walk in the front door. She told me that if I had any ideas on how to train them to improve their behavior that I should let her know. I knew she would tell me that she had no intention of getting rid of the dogs because I know how important they are to her, and I expect that the dogs will continue to act the way they do, but at least we seem to have a better understanding of each other's positions on the subject.

As far as moving out, I told her that I had intentions to do so, though for additional reasons not limited to the dogs or my housing situation; however, I would be willing to wait maybe a year or so until she can finish some unrelated legal procedures and find another person to rent the room I'm currently in. If I live with Mom, fine; if not, maybe somewhere nearby. Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

I am glad it workoed out with your landlord and that she seemed so open to discussion. I love it when we can openly discuss the things that bug us and come to some reasonable compromise. Don't you? You'll have to let us know how it goes...

Latest posts

Back