Playing video games all day makes me feel worthless

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry94

Reaction score
So, this has been going around in my head for a while now and I just can't get it out. I feel pathetic, worthless and that I'm wasting my life by just playing video games all day but the thing is video games is the only thing I enjoy doing in my life.

Sometimes I feel like I have to play games like say I'm watching TV I'll stop watching because my head is telling me go play games. I know other people play games all day especially people that are unemployed but I can't convince myself that it's an okay thing to do.

What can I do to stop feeling this way? I honestly have nothing else to do in life, I have no friends to go out with and I hate leaving the house anyway...

Like most things ...its probably a little adictive
Adiction can have many forms ...alcohol ...behaviors ... sex ...eating..drugs etc
Maybe it comes down to what is more important

Can you quit cold turkey probably not without being miserable
Can you limit yourself to certain amount of time per day

Terry94 said:
What can I do to stop feeling this way? I honestly have nothing else to do in life, I have no friends to go out with and I hate leaving the house anyway...

Stop it cold turkey. Find something else that is that time consuming. It would be great if you could find some thing positive that got you out of the house. But if not, find something in the house. Do you have any interest in making things... or writing or something seriously time consuming. Even if you don't....make your goal to give it up. It could be a serious problem.

I saw you mention in another thread that you were quite sporty when you were younger. Maybe get back into that?

Nothing wrong with playing computer games at all. Like any other sport they are addictive and if you enjoy it, why beat yourself up about it?

I *dont get* computer games anymore and haven't since my late 20s. I find little enjoyment in life and wish I could find the same enjoyment I used to get from blasting around a race track in Forza!

I wouldn't say you are worthless because of that...unproductive, maybe, but definitely not worthless.

Now, what do you enjoy? Don't say video games, there has to be something else.

Have you considered volunteering? Or joining some meetups? Anything to get you out of the house. Perhaps you could start by going for a walk. Spend an hour a day outside doing something else, away from the computer.

I wish I could describe why I feel this way. The honeysuckle that goes on in my head is so annoying I'm my own worse enemy I'm always putting myself down and making myself think like this.

Paraiyar said:
I saw you mention in another thread that you were quite sporty when you were younger. Maybe get back into that?

No chance. I don't have the confidents anymore to play sports due to the fear of being judged and interacting with people.

TheRealCallie said:
Now, what do you enjoy? Don't say video games, there has to be something else.

I wish I could say something but there isn't. All I enjoy in life is Video Games. I do like to watch Football and Formula 1 but I could live without them no problem.

Terry94 said:
So, this has been going around in my head for a while now and I just can't get it out. I feel pathetic, worthless and that I'm wasting my life by just playing video games all day but the thing is video games is the only thing I enjoy doing in my life.

Sometimes I feel like I have to play games like say I'm watching TV I'll stop watching because my head is telling me go play games. I know other people play games all day especially people that are unemployed but I can't convince myself that it's an okay thing to do.

May I ask are you going out to work? If so what about adding something on after work, like a walk, find the courage to join a gym?

If not working, how are you funding this lifestyle? If you are living with other people ie Parents etc what about allocating more time in the day to helping them to upkeep the home. Doing jobs, Do you have a garden, that is leaving the house, but not venturing into the wide world, gardening is a great chore to get some fresh air, and feel productive and boost Serotonin levels, not a miracle worker, but a positive step. Also you will feel great by being part of the team keeping the house running, this will boost your confidence a tiny bit. I am sure the other people in thenhouse would appreciate the help as well.

TheSkaFish said:
How about reading?

I do have books maybe I'll start reading again. Normally when I read though my head is telling me to play games I'll have to try fight that urge.

Serenia said:
May I ask are you going out to work? If so what about adding something on after work, like a walk, find the courage to join a gym?

Yes, I walk to work as it's only a 10 minute walk away. I work in a warehouse 3 days a week. And as soon as I'm done I will walk fast to get home as I don't like being out too long, only reason I walk to work is because I can't drive. As for the gym I really don't care about my body right now to work out, I'm far too lazy.

For me, i could easily get bogged down for HOURS online, if i allowed myself too. Same with video games. I allow myself a certain amount of time with media, be it online, TV , phone, etc. Then, I just put it down and get up and make a plan to tackle the day. It could be cleaning a closet, trying a new recipe or going for a hike. I don't know how old you are but this is a great time to set some new patterns in your life. As for feeling worthless, those feelings will dissipate if you are living your life in a more productive way. You may say you are 'not interested" in certain things. Well how do you know? There are so many things in life to explore. Learn some new job skills. Take up an instrument, volunteer to coach some kids, etc.
Now, if you are prone to feelings of worthlessness, i am not going to tell you that somehow that will magically disappear. I think that people that battle that will always have that internal battle. Even Winston Churchill and Abe Lincoln battled their own depression.

Terry94 said:
TheSkaFish said:
How about reading?

I do have books maybe I'll start reading again. Normally when I read though my head is telling me to play games I'll have to try fight that urge.

Serenia said:

Yes, I walk to work as it's only a 10 minute walk away. I work in a warehouse 3 days a week. And as soon as I'm done I will walk fast to get home as I don't like being out too long, only reason I walk to work is because I can't drive. As for the gym I really don't care about my body right now to work out, I'm far too lazy.

What kind of video games do you like? Just wondering if you might like getting into some of the card games out there that are popular with gamers? Magic: The Gathering springs to mind, but there's tons of other ones. There's a gaming store down the street from where I live - people meet there all the time, just to sit around and play games all night. Might be a good way to meet some people with similar interests? Wondering if there's something similar in your area, or a group you could join? As for playing video games all day - no, certainly not worthless at all. But I think after a while, it gets to the point where it's not as satisfying as it used to be and you'll be craving other things to do (as you are now). Another idea - are you creative/crafty? What about make-up effects/costume/armour design? These are just a couple of things I personally branched off with (all-day gamer here).

I do think there is an addictive element to games in that you can see progress quickly and improvement is intuitive. Other hobbies which might take months to pay off can feel like you're not able to do anything, really. If you want to pick up something useful at home, you could look into something like web development and languages. You can fairly quickly make at least projects for yourself.

I have seen the best and brightest of my generation become pasty, rotund, scary looking nubs caught in the vortex of video game addiction and well, other on line addictions of the adult variety.

Get out now. While you still can.

ringwood said:
What kind of video games do you like? Just wondering if you might like getting into some of the card games out there that are popular with gamers? Magic: The Gathering springs to mind, but there's tons of other ones. There's a gaming store down the street from where I live - people meet there all the time, just to sit around and play games all night. Might be a good way to meet some people with similar interests? Wondering if there's something similar in your area, or a group you could join? As for playing video games all day - no, certainly not worthless at all. But I think after a while, it gets to the point where it's not as satisfying as it used to be and you'll be craving other things to do (as you are now). Another idea - are you creative/crafty? What about make-up effects/costume/armour design? These are just a couple of things I personally branched off with (all-day gamer here).

I like First Person Shooters and Racing games. Card games have never appealed to me. From what I'm aware we have nothing like that where I'm from otherwise I would consider that would be pretty fun
Tealeaf said:
If you want to pick up something useful at home, you could look into something like web development and languages.

I did try learn French about a year ago just because I thought it would be cool to be able to speak two languages but gave up pretty quickly.

Latest posts

Back