Money Vs, Happiness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice But Dim Jim

Reaction score
Given the option, would you continue doing a job you hate because the money was good or do a job that doesn't offend you on a low wage and just scrape by in life?

This is the current dilemma I am facing. I have by all accounts a fantastic job but I hate the field I work in. Unfortunately going elsewhere will mean starting from scratch so I'd be almost losing half my wage switching jobs but my mental health is now at risk because of my environment.

If I could live on the lower salary and provide for me and mine, I'd likely take the other job. Money isn't everything, just make sure you can live off what you will be making.

Perhaps you can stay at the higher paying job and just start living off what you would make in a career change to see if you can do it and to save up some money.

That's a really good idea! Sadly, I don't think I'll have time to find out as my patience and ability make it into work are dwindling fast....it's very hard give off to people being late or not being motivated at their job if I am doing exactly that!

Can you find something in the middle? Both of those sound like extremes. Something that might pay a little less but would be a little easier to get up in the morning for?

Maybe try and save up a decent amount of cash and then get out. Of course if you hate your job to the point where it's causing you real psychological distress then maybe just get out.

Personally, having been through certain things in my life, I'd pick the money. Happiness is irrelevant to me, because I'd still have to live and survive whether I'm happy with things or not. I'd rather make something easier on myself.

If it's impacting on your mental health then it's better to choose something that you enjoy doing which will make you happier in the longer term even if the money isn't as much as you would otherwise be getting.

I'm kind of in the same dilmemma,I did a degree to work in the field that would interest me and help other people,but the place that i'm at wants to send me away to train for another occupation that would mean a lot more money but doing something similar to what I did in the past at a higher level,the salary would be fantastic but it isn't something I would particularly enjoy. I'm going anyway to do the qualifications but i'm not excited about the idea.

Nice But Dim Jim said:
Given the option, would you continue doing a job you hate because the money was good or do a job that doesn't offend you on a low wage and just scrape by in life?

I hate my job. I consider every day just giving it all up and becoming a hermit. But the things I would lose if I did are so substantial I just cannot do it. Sometimes I hope they will fire me but generally they won't do that either. If it is just a salary I would say move on. But if it is salary, pension, health insurance... I would not do it. I would find a way not to let the job get to you. You know why?

You have no guarantee the next job won't pay less and be a lot worse. No matter how bad it is now.

One time my coworker told me something that struck a chord with me.

Happiness comes in small does in life (a finding a great parking spot,winning a hand in poker,eatting a great gourmet meal from a 5 star Cheif)

Money comes and goes.

So find a medium in between to find yourself and be content in life. Because when you die you can't take money with you or even the underwear your wearing that day.

Cheers Soresoul,

I made my choice and quit. So now I have no job(other job fell through), no money and no one to talk to about it. I feel very sad at the moment as I'm certainly going through a very bad depressive period and my girlfriend giving up on me when I needed her most, it's all just a bit too much but life has a way of always working itself out.

I'm very sorry your going through that. I have too before left a great paying job because the stress level and the tension of people was at an all time high. It was to the point where I wasn't controlling work anymore, it control me and it led me to suicidal thoughts and feelings. My lovely lady took me one day to get help in a 6 month program to cope with my hurt, stress, and anger feelings and man I felt so much better.

I don't know how much I can help with this, but maybe you should just become a ghost for awhile? You know just lay low? Let the girlfriend go, seek other employment, pick up on a hobby to fill a void or even just start writing your thoughts on scrap piece of paper in the woods or a solitude place. Just take things slow and get back on your feet at your own pace.

Soresoul that is such a great post, you've eased my anxiety slightly with your very linear thought. I'll get through this period one way or another.

Nice But Dim Jim said:
Soresoul that is such a great post, you've eased my anxiety slightly with your very linear thought. I'll get through this period one way or another.

I remember getting laid off a few years ago and going into this weird depressive state that I never expected BUT, what came out of that was confidence that I "will survive" I found a way to live on low money and get employment that was actually pretty good. Temporary Job.

Maybe look at this as a challenge.

I went with a job with a lower wage than my previous one just so I could get out of the crazy stress that was causing me lots of problems.

My stress levels are threw the roof, I just couldn't do everything I needed to do thus thought about it constantly when home. Literally waking up opening my eyes and running through what I didn't do and what needs done. Screw they!

I want money to be a cottage to live in, and i'll have my happiness.

No job, no money and no one to tell your troubles to....That's a tough combo: Life's logistics problems compounding with life's personal stresses.
It was me, I'd focus my efforts on the logistical thing first....get some kind of income coming in somehow and put the personal anguish "on hold" if at all possible....if the physical needs aren't met first, the inner needs won't be either.

I'm hoping you'll share how things are going for you and I wish you well.

I'll get through this OK, I just keep going from a very positive outlook to a deeply negative one in cycles every half hour or so.

I think breaking up with my girlfriend has really hurt me more than I realise and I'm getting my emotions tangled between the two situations.

I'm hearing so many stories of people struggling for money at the moment. The world economy must be extra bad right now. We also are struggling to make ends meet.

Sun35, is that a Beyblade avatar? Haven't seen that show in forever, but it was a huge favourite. You've given me some nostalgia right there. :)

Latest posts

Back