First time internship anxiety. How am i going to socialize?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paseo

Reaction score
I'm an introvert and have only been able to freely socialize with a small group of people for most of my life. That's one of the reason why i've never joined organization in school. I'm missing out on those experiences where i learned to introduce my self and etc. Now, in a couple of days i'm about to start my first intership and i have anxiety over what i should do, how i should act.. Based on my experience people will not exactly line up to start a conversation with me because i'm not attractive and i look 'scary' because i'm silent( i dont know what to say) when meeting new people. Help. I'm even considering backing out of this potentially useful internship because i'm afraid i'll look stupid. Let me die

What I've personally learned to do to seem slightly more approachable while still being myself is just make little comments during a conversation, and say if someone says something funny, let yourself laugh and smile along. Nothing big, but it helps yourself to relax and provides a more inviting aura for others. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being quiet, but doing those small things helps to let others know that you won't bite their hand off for getting close.

In my opinion it's important to not change yourself for others to such an extreme that you're not being "you" anymore. You want to be accepted for who you are. Even when you do act fake to please others, they will always find something to complain about. That's sadly how people are. On forums for example, I've often gone out of my way to word everything neutrally and nicely, but there's always someone who will "take offence" anyway. Take those situations with a grain of salt and focus on who responds well to you. As long as you know you're trying your best and being kind, there's nothing to feel bad about.

Bubblebeam is giving some good counsel. I'd urge you to give the internship your best shot and do not back out from it. Backing out is like letting the anxiety win.....next time an opportunity comes by, the backing out now could become cause for yet more anxiety.

Bubblebeam said:
What I've personally learned to do to seem slightly more approachable while still being myself is just make little comments during a conversation, and say if someone says something funny, let yourself laugh and smile along. Nothing big, but it helps yourself to relax and provides a more inviting aura for others. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being quiet, but doing those small things helps to let others know that you won't bite their hand off for getting close.

In my opinion it's important to not change yourself for others to such an extreme that you're not being "you" anymore. You want to be accepted for who you are. Even when you do act fake to please others, they will always find something to complain about. That's sadly how people are. On forums for example, I've often gone out of my way to word everything neutrally and nicely, but there's always someone who will "take offence" anyway. Take those situations with a grain of salt and focus on who responds well to you. As long as you know you're trying your best and being kind, there's nothing to feel bad about.
Thank you for your advice, the anxiety is still there but i will try to maybe suppress it? This is my first time getting a taste of 'professional situation' and i don't know how to act since there is no one around me who works in 'proper office' so i'm completely clueless.. add to that the social problems i have

Latest posts

Back