Can't find happiness in anything?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice But Dim Jim

Reaction score
I can remember the last time I was truly happy, that scares me badly. I always take the negative route rather than positive. I find fault with everything and everyone. I distrust everyone. I feel trapped in my body, I find it hard to show emotion to other people. I am wooden, I never just go for it. I don't enjoy hobbies, I tolerate them until I quit. I don't enjoy going out. I hate dating. I hate telling the same stories over and over again. I have to fake that I care. I try to hard to be something I'm not. I'm scared to be me because then I will be exposed to hurt.

Nice But Dim Jim said:
I can remember the last time I was truly happy, that scares me badly. I always take the negative route rather than positive. I find fault with everything and everyone. I distrust everyone. I feel trapped in my body, I find it hard to show emotion to other people. I am wooden, I never just go for it. I don't enjoy hobbies, I tolerate them until I quit. I don't enjoy going out. I hate dating.

This might get better after quitting. I had a crud job with an abusive boss and it make me so angry and negative but after about 6 months with a good boss, I was back to normal. Trusting people... more laid back.

But, let me just say, I don't date, I don't do hobbies... I have just accepted that I find happiness sitting on my couch doing nothing.

Emily your so right, I actually do enjoy something. I have a great wee couch that I love to sit my ass on watching Star Trek or whatever scifiy thing has gripped my interest. I'm not other people, I am who I am :)

I think I've had my fill of dating, it's just like playing and old linear game..same old chat, same old actions, same old rubbish.

I know how you feel. It's hard for me to not see faults in everything. I know what I like and what I enjoy and why it brings me joy, though. I walk a weird line between humanism and misanthropy. I often feel like a walking contradiction.

My issue is that the things the I enjoy most are not things that will get me through life financially. Or rather, they are not things that I think I am able to make do that. So I feel stuck and without purpose because I'm always stuck in jobs that are not fulfilling. Being alone as far as romance goes only makes it that much worse.

I just drift through this seemingly pointless and meaningless life. I'm so apathetic that I both don't want to live or die. I just....exist.

I know that's depressing. I just hope that knowing that you are not alone in this can help even a little.

I don't know why everyone is always so focused on being HAPPY. Try being tolerant first, then content....go in stages. You can't jump from being a mail room clerk to being a CEO, can you? So why have the expectation of going from depressed to happy?

There's nothing wrong with being a homebody my friend. People think you must do, do, do to "have a life" but whatever makes us feel happy as individuals is what gives us life. Me and my husband literally go out only when needed, otherwise we're at home enjoying our games, our two kitties that we think the world of, and other simple little traditions like watching docos. I would personally love the outdoors if it was just the outdoors, but living in a city suburb there's lots of people too and that's what really puts us off, especially after so much betrayal from seemingly good people, and people in general just being jerks. It's a wonder most people seek each others company when history only shows that people cheat, steal, talk behind each others backs, the list goes on.

Nothing wrong with who you are. Don't do things like date just because the world conditions you to think you must be. The world will also have you think you're nothing if you aren't married with kids by 30, but really, the amount of parents and couples that I see that look genuinely happy are next to zero. Much of societys ways of thinking are just a farce, and I find life is a bit easier when realising that.

Latest posts

Back