Learning to sing

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayfarer

Reaction score
After some long time, I decided I would learn to sing, at least to an acceptable level.

Now, singing is basically not allowed when I'm at my parents' and I've never sang even during my childhood, partly because of that and partly because I couldn't sing properly and I was off key all the time, etc. Nowadays I kinda don't want people to hear my attemps, as I was living with some other people that can be quite mean.
In short I've never sang all these years except a couple times (really less than 5) when I was alone and bored XD

I've tried practicing singing, but with even the most basic tutorials, it seems like it will take a long time. I literally can't sing, as of now. I think my voice probably still produces the same one (or two?) note that my normal talking voice uses.

Earlier today, I did a online test at http://tonedeaftest.com about being tone deaf or not. It's divided into 3 "parts".
I had no problems with the first two, which were basically recognizing if two notes where the same or not, or whether a note was going "up" or "down".
The last part was impossible for me though. It was deciding whether one note was higher than the other one.
Result? Seems I'm not tone deaf because I scored perfectly in the first two parts.... but really I couldn't say anything about the third part. Funny.

Other small details: I can't read notes - I did learn at some point in time but I forgot how to; I don't play any musical instrument.

What do you suggest in order to overcome this "limitation" ?

Could be an idea, Kamya.. but I have to wait for that D:

Anyone knows any good resource to train recognizing notes by ear? I struggle even with that.

I don't have any instruments here. I've been practicing with my voice and an app. Noticing slight improvements. Probably I'll manage to sing all the basic notes in a couple days.

Latest posts

Back