Feel like I need to make a big change

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JudeDismas

Reaction score
So, I hope that this is coherent. I've been talking to people a lot in the chat room here and well, a bunch of people have convinced me (indirectly) that I need to make a huge change in my life if I ever want to be happy. I'm 23, without any friends, a part-time job that barely covers my student loans, an alcohol problem, and I'm about to go to grad school for a Masters in Library Science.

I don't know if I'm really passionate enough to become a librarian. I me, I don't mind my current job at the library, and it doesn't really seem like a full librarianship would be that much different: you create programs, run them, and spend the rest of your time dealing with patrons. At the same time, its at least two more years of school in a highly intensive program which will likely stress the hell out of me. I can do it, I think,I mean did graduate cum laude as an undergraduate. But it will likely take me a lot of time and cause me a lot of stress, and if everything goes the way it did back in college I'll be spending weeks panicking about assignments, drinking myself to sleep several nights, and spending the rest of my time on the internet and playing video games as stress relief. I probably won't make any effort to make friends (can't even make school friends its an online program), I'll probably give up trying to better myself by learning guitar or photography or whatever else I've decided to do, and any effort to meet women would probably be put on the back burner. I just keep wondering, is Graduate school really worth the trouble and expense if I'm not truly, deeply passionate about the subject?

Alright, so enough of my current situation, what are my other options. Well, the first and most drastic solution I've thought of would be to join the peace corps. I mean I have wanted to do something to actually help people for a long time, and everytime I volunteer where I currently live I'm usually given some pointless busy work for a day. It would be extremely hard, especially for some weak and naive like myself. But I've been sticking to my comfort zone for so long, maybe I need to do like this. If nothing else, what I do would be worthwhile.

The second option is that I either get second job or find a full time one. This would allow me to do a few things. For one, its would allow me to finally move out of my parent's house, which will make me more independent and therefore more attractive to friends and potential mates. Two, it would allow me to focus my free hours on improving my social skills by going to meetups or even just going to bars and striking up random conversations with people. Finally, I could also spend time mastering my hobbies like guitar and photography. There are also couple problems with this. For one, I'd have to actually find another job, which as anyone with a humanities degree can tell you is no easy feat. Second, well, I have no idea where to even start gaining social skills: the meetups I've gone to so far have been populated mostly by much older people, and other meetups that I'd like to try are about an hours drive away; as far as simply talking to strangers in an informal environment...I'm not exactly sure how to do that, and thought of it frankly terrifies me.

So, anyway, there's my extremely long post. Should I stay the current course, do any of the other options I mentioned sound like a good way forward? Is there something else I can do that I'm not seeing?

Will a Master's degree payoff? Do u need it? What type of full time job could u get?

If you are happy in your present job, why not stay in it and put doing any further studying on hold, maybe for ever? It sounds as though further study would stress you out, so is it really worth doing it? Only you can decide but it does sound from what you say that the drawbacks would outweigh the advantages. Getting a second part time job, if it helps you to get the life you want, might be the way to go.

It sounds to me like you really want to get a full time job.

I can relate to its being hard because I was looking for work for six months before I got the job I'm in now. All I can say is that if you keep looking then you WILL GET A JOB. Sometimes we have to accept that our options in life are limited and down to fate - western culture likes to tell us otherwise which doesn't help our self esteem but it is not so.

Do what you really feel's best for you, I get the feeling that you really want to just get a job. You can always go back to the study later if you want to.

Latest posts

Back