My boss stresses me out

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glowgirl

Reaction score
Hey, I have a boss right now who called me into his office yesterday because he's not happy with the way I'm working. He's been there for about two weeks and reprimanded me over something I did (which was in fact in line with our established procedure). He can absolutely freeze you with one look like nobody I've ever met and our conversation yesterday actually made me feel faint, I had to go into the toilets afterwards and put my head down for about five minutes. He's the only person who's ever had that effect on me and moreover it's happened with him before (in a different section, different context).

My co workers tell me they don't think the current situation is my fault, including the lady from whom I took this job over not long ago. They've told me not to worry about him, but this stuff upsets me more than I'd like to admit. I can appreciate he looks at my output and thinks "where does the time go", and it exacerbates my own inferiority complex and tendency to feel incompetent.

I'm studying at the moment for a career change and only working two days a week, so I really don't need to be worrying about all this. Right now I wish I could not go back to work at all.

Join the club
I figure I have a date with HR soon LOL
I am almost at the point where I dont care ...In my case its my bosses boss
I walked out of the office today because I had had enough of the conversation LOL

I've only just joined the forum (hello) so excuse me for not knowing your full situation but my immediate thought is that you need to stand up to him and put him in his place before this continues.

Now that doesn't mean arguing or picking a fight but as you said, what you did was consistent with the company procedure, so if he's reprimanding you over that then he needs to explain why he wants you to go against the established method of doing things. You don't have to be overly aggressive; just calmly defend your position by explaining what you've been taught to do, how what you've done matches what you've been taught, and then ask why he is dissatisfied with the result. Not only will you be defending your position but also making him be held accountable for his behaviour, something you are more than entitled to do.

I know standing up to your boss can be daunting but I've met my fair share of bullying bosses who run riot on power trips. Stopping that now will prevent him from trying it again next time and there is nothing wrong with an employee asking why their employer is dissatisfied with their work. Don't give him the power to bully you.

PS: I'd also start recording dates and notes of every one of these 'talks' in case they're going to be needed in the future.

Is there anyone between you and your boss (a supervisor or someone) in the hierarchy who you could go to about this and ask them to speak to him on your behalf?

I'd start asking for clarification via email, just so you don't get any "I never told you that!" from him. Supervisors have ducked responsibility in places I've worked before. I keep print outs at home of certain conversations for proof.

Latest posts

Back