The only thing I enjoy in life is playing video games but I dont want to play them.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry94

Reaction score
I've always struggled understanding myself but lately I've been questioning myself even more, what am I doing with my life? What is the point? All I enjoy in life is playing video games! Thats it! Nothing else entertains me. Yet, I dont want to play video games, I hate that my life is just playing games I dont want to, I dont want to only play games to enjoy myself. Why Am I like this? Why do I question myself. I enjoy games yet I dont want to, I dont want to enjoy playing games I want more I dont know what though, but I want something in my life more worthwhile than video games. What do I do?

Lemme ask this: have you ever thought or dreamt of what you want your life to include? You don't have to get into what particularly, just yes or no.

I think everyone has passions about living in the world that remain unrealized. I sure do, and I'm making slow but certain progress in realizing those goals. Could be there are activities and experiences that hold a lot of meaning for you. Pursue them!

Maybe you don't actually enjoy them any more? Maybe you're just addicted? Maybe they help you to avoid trying to move your life forward when you've no real idea where to start? I know that's how I used to be. I knew that I still enjoyed games, but I kept hating myself for playing them; I knew there were other things that I should be doing.

It took me a huge amount of time and effort to break away from the hold that games had on me, but now that I have, I have far more self-esteem and I find that when I do play a game, I genuinely enjoy it.

It is good that you have one interest to keep you entertained. Some people don't have this. However, I can understand your feeling that you want and need more in your life. Could you cut down on the amount of time you spend on games and try out various other activities until you find other things you enjoy? Don't put pressure on yourself to find new interests, just take it slowly.

Terry94 said:
I've always struggled understanding myself but lately I've been questioning myself even more, what am I doing with my life? What is the point? All I enjoy in life is playing video games! Thats it! Nothing else entertains me. Yet, I dont want to play video games, I hate that my life is just playing games I dont want to, I dont want to only play games to enjoy myself. Why Am I like this? Why do I question myself. I enjoy games yet I dont want to, I dont want to enjoy playing games I want more I dont know what though, but I want something in my life more worthwhile than video games. What do I do?
Maybe your to ready to dismiss what you might enjoy...maybe you shouldn't form any judgements beforehand....neither like or dislike....also video games sounds like a very solitary way to spend time which is ok but less so when it's a way of occupying time...so what could you explore ? art ..abstract is really popular so you can learn differant techniques and really express yourself... no need to be painting country cottages with a tiny sable brush :) many groups around also courses, creative writing, board game groups, physical activities...amatuer dramatics groups can be a hoot all involve interacting with other people to some extent
So that sounds fine then !! but as I know full well undertaking any of the above can simply be to much to ask and leads directly back to a zone of safety...and it's entirely possible the first step would maybe be to see if anyone in your area would also like a little support to engage maybe c/o this site....another route may be to create a group c/o Meetup .com you can create quite specific groups ... depression, woodwhitling , or in my case Scrabble...These small groups can work but there are pitfalls and it costs around £13 a month....if you want to know anymore pm me ...David.

It sounds you feel like your life is out of balance. There is nothing inherently wrong with enjoying and playing video games at all. However, if that is the only thing you enjoy and spend time doing then you are shortchanging yourself. I think you should allow yourself x amount of time per day to play. Then, turn it off, get up and go do something else. Learn to play the guitar. Cook a meal and try a recipe you never used. Go for a walk and bird watch. Go and workout, etc. Tons of other things you could be doing that would add value to your life.

I have felt in much a similar way to yours more than once. I agree with dd11 actually. And more than everything, try things.. new things every once in a while.

Latest posts

Back