A question for y'all workers.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonymousMe

Reaction score
Put yourselves in my shoes, imagine you're someone that's:

1) An introvert 26-year-old male.
2) Living in Mexico.
3) A picky eater.
4) Friendless, but that can socialize to a degree.
5) Without a girlfriend and that's lost hope in getting one.
6) Can't drive yet (I'll do when I buy a Smart car).
7) With limited interests, don't like what's popular.
8) Doesn't watch TV that much, no sports, no TV series, movies, etc.
9) Tries to not spend much on needs, including clothes, so the bills don't come with a high debt, save for internet.
10) Doesn't have a cellphone, nor Facebook, etc.
11) Not very motivated in improving myself, at least financially, but I am trying physically again with racquetball.
12) No longer studying, without plans of returning to College.
13) Serious most of the time.

As some of you already may know, I'm currently "helping" my 57-year-old dad in his job as an administrator for his wood factory, which is in Mexico, my little brother also helps him with clients that purchase our merchandise, who are in the U.S.; he's still going to school and hopes to graduate as an interior designer. Excluding the earnings the workers get, the pay always varies for our family, we could get $200 as a whole in one week and get $500 the following one, it all depends on how much we sell. The thing is, I'm not really good at the job and I also hate it, because it prevents me from... well, being happy! That's what I think, at least. I have this mindset that if I work anywhere, even if it's a low-paying job, I'll be able to have a fresh start with new people, hopefully around my age, be open to their suggestions, explore the world and heck, maybe even meet someone special. All the workers in the factory are in their 30s or more and married, everyone knows me too; I'm the most unpopular one in the place. I've been working in the place for around a year and I don't think I've learned much, besides the basics, it also doesn't help that my dad wants to retire at 60, hopefully my brother is graduated by that point. What about me though?

My question is, what would you choose people? Would you stay in a job that pays well, but that makes you unhappy or would you prefer a small one that's more to your liking? Which one's the best option for me?

Money isnt everything ....its easier to change jobs when you have support like some place to live

I had a very good paying job that i absolutely hated .... just up and quit
I didnt have children ...a car payment .... or mortgage so i was able to just quit without anythkng lined up ...that was then
I think most people work because they have wants like a home ..car ... material things or a family to support and it locks them in because they have to pay for it

Its easy to say i hate it and dont want to do it .... but what is it your going to do to be self supportive and find the happieness that eludes you

It sounds like things aren't working for you as they are now so I say go for the job that gives you the chance to meet new people even if it's a bit lower paying. Also, is it possible that you can compromise on some of these traits, maybe watch Game of Thrones and try and work towards being serious a little less of the time? It might make things easier for you without having to compromise your beliefs in any real way.

On another note, I'm unhappy with my financial situation and my career path so I'm trying to apply for the Royal New Zealand Navy. Is it possible for you do to something radical like that? It could end up building up your confidence a lot which would make you attractive to women.

BadGuy said:
but what is it your going to do to be self supportive and find the happieness that eludes you

The only jobs that I can think of are working at a fast food restaurant or as a janitor or as a security guard. Very unappreciative jobs, but I just don't think I can go further.
You want to know something curious? When I started High School, the very first class I had was one about computers, the first assignment the class did was to take a test that resulted in saying what was the most fitting job for everyone. My result was security guard. It's been about 10 or 11 years and that memory still haunts me, makes me think that the computer actually foreshadowed my future.

Paraiyar said:
I'm unhappy with my financial situation and my career path so I'm trying to apply for the Royal New Zealand Navy. Is it possible for you do to something radical like that? It could end up building up your confidence a lot which would make you attractive to women.

I don't remember if you were the one who told me a long time ago in this forum that I could be smart because I write fluently, but I'm really not that smart, so anything related to militarism is out of my reach.

constant stranger said:
If it was me, I'd keep the well paying job and use the family connections to inherit the business.

Even if you only knew the basics and not know how the handle the rest? I've tried for many months in trying to get how the whole business works, but some things are just way too complicated, I mean, I couldn't even finish pre-algebra, so how could I ever run a business? I feel like my dad is the stubborn one for not accepting how I am.

Really everyone, is it really that difficult nowadays to live on your own with a low-wage job? Even if you really live in a dirt-cheap apartment? I'm aware that there's a thing called age discrimination, but I don't plan on living that much; 60-65 is a good end age for me.

Does your Dad think you could run the bussieness ?
Would you be able to consult with him after he retired ?
Changes the picture ?

BadGuy said:
Does your Dad think you could run the bussieness ?
Would you be able to consult with him after he retired ?
Changes the picture ?

1) I'm not really sure what he thinks anymore. When I first started, his original intention was to help me "know the basic things about life" before going around facing the real world, that I was left with a choice of whether or not I wanted to stay in the business or not. After a while, he told me that he needed help because he didn't had enough time in the day to do other important things, such as meeting with people that will help him build a house for our family. One thing that I'm certain though is that he thinks my brother and I together could run the business, but knowing my brother, if he graduates, he's not going to bother working in the factory ever again. Even with my constant screw-ups, he's not going to fire me; he's to stubborn with his own (unrealistic) thoughts.
2) He did say that we would be able to consult him after he retired, not sure if it's ever going to happen though.
3) I don't get it.

Changes the picture .... does it change your views or thoughts taking the other questions into concideration ?

BadGuy said:
Changes the picture .... does it change your views or thoughts taking the other questions into concideration ?

Ah, I get what you're saying now, but no, it doesn't change my views.

Based on the few answers I got, I guess it all just comes down to preference. For the moment, I'll just stay with my dad, but I do think I'll eventually change to a small job. Wish me luck people, I am going to need it.

AnonymousMe said:
BadGuy said:

Ah, I get what you're saying now, but no, it doesn't change my views.

Based on the few answers I got, I guess it all just comes down to preference. For the moment, I'll just stay with my dad, but I do think I'll eventually change to a small job. Wish me luck people, I am going to need it.

I think you need to think about a conversation with your Dad and brother ...find out what they are thinking ...planning ....wanting
It would be a good time to share what your thinking with them

When I was unhappy in my previous job that caused me so much anxiety and depression, I was somewhat worried that if I left for the job I was looking for, I'd be paid less and may not do as well. But I had faith that if I was happier, that's all that matters and the pay cut wouldn't feel as bad.

I have never made a better decision. I still get a bit overworked in my current job, but I am definitely not suffering. I'm earning much less and I have shitloads of stuff to pay for, but I think at the end of the day when I leave this world, I'm not gonna be thinking of how much money I've earned, I'd be thinking of what have I done and if I've felt as fulfilled and happy as I could be.

The change in environment, job scope, management made a huge deal too. I met so many nice people in my new workplace and they were so much more supportive of me and my health issues compared to my previous job.

Sometimes change can be scary.. but it can also be one of the best things to happen in life. Depends on whether you're up for the risk or not. If you ask me, while you're still young and you have that opportunity, go for it. Opportunities don't come knocking on your door twice all the time.

Again, it all boils down to what benefits you more and what is more important to you. I wish you all the best in making the best choice possible for yourself. Good luck! :)

BadGuy,
They're probably conversations that are gonna go nowhere, but I guess I'll talk to them.

Ladyforsaken,
Mind if you tell me what's your current job and what was your previous one?

AM, sorry it took me awhile.

I'm currently in the customer service line, corporate office environment.

I was a school teacher for 5 years, teaching kids in the range of 12 to 18 year-olds.

Are you perhaps underestimating yourself because you don't want to do the job?

If you are serious about not wanting to do the job, you should definitely talk to your father about it. If you were to take it on and really hate it, you could not do it properly and cause more harm than good, ya know?

Personally, I think everyone should do what they feel is best for them. What's best for the life they want to live. Not just out of family obligation or guilt.

BadGuy said:
I think you need to think about a conversation with your Dad and brother ...find out what they are thinking ...planning ....wanting
It would be a good time to share what your thinking with them

TheRealCallie said:
If you are serious about not wanting to do the job, you should definitely talk to your father about it. If you were to take it on and really hate it, you could not do it properly and cause more harm than good, ya know?

Well, I managed to talk with my dad and after the conversation we had, I regret initiating the conversation, I would've at least kept some sense of false hope to eventually go work somewhere else, now I'm fully aware of my situation and couldn't have gotten any more unhappier.

So, I told him what I think: that I don't think I'm smart enough to handle the job, that I don't have any big dreams or goals left, that the furthest I can go for is jobs with minimum wage, etc. Bottom line, he got really pissed off and "fired" me, which is kind of what I wanted, but he made me feel bad, according to my dad, he thinks that low-wage jobs are for teenagers or for old/retired people, not for people in their 20s that have big aspirations. My mom even told me that he almost cried because of what I said, that's not surprising though, after all the troubles they went through to cure my renal insufficiency, they must have gotten really high expectations about me, and so did I, but now I know what my limits are. Things got really quiet in the house afterwards, we wouldn't even greet each other.

Jobless, I went to a small, convenience store that was hiring employees (there was a sign outside stating that) and when I returned home, I was told that I cannot work anywhere. I'm currently in Mexico and I don't have any of the documents that allow me to have a job, no I.D., no social security number, things like that. I live in a border town, so I could go to the U.S. and find something, but like I said before, my health insurance is in another county, my parents have tried to move close to where we live, but they don't even have enough time to do their own things.

Bottom-line is, I'm stuck with my dad's job and I'm currently "working" there again, I feel a lot more unmotivated too. Due to all this, I've changed my plans with my money box, I was going to use it to buy a RealDoll, then I changed my opinion to a Smart car, but now I'm going to save it up for my future. What I mean with that is that I don't think I'll be financially secure when I'm, you know, older, so I'll save all the money I earn and keep it safe, in case of emergencies; I currently have $1,600, which is probably not enough as of yet.

Now, y'all can criticize me all you want for my insecurities or "strategies" I have for my future, but I'm not going to care; insults are compliments for dumb people.
Ugh, I should've voted for Trump (Just FYI, I didn't vote for anyone).

Latest posts

Back