Sticking to hobbies

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've picked up countless hobbies, and I can never seem to maintain the enthusiasm to keep at them long enough for them to become a consistent thing in my life.

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone figured out how to get over it?

I know exactly what are you talking about. I had this issue my whole life - i get obessed with certain things, study the hell out of them and then it just becomes redundant after a while.

I've picked up and dropped a lot of things myself. My only advice would be to stick to just a few things so you don't wear yourself down with too much to do, and pick things where you can get clear results and pleasure.

Nothing wrong with doing something for a time then moving on to something else. Every hobby doesnt' have to be lifelong. Maybe you take up painting for a period of time. Then you move on to something else, etc. That's fine. And, if you have too many things on your plate then of course you will lose your enthusiasm if you are over extended.

My hobbies tend have the opposite effect. Some things I love doing so much that they never go away :)

Have you tried any hobby that you know brings you pleasure? It's a way of keeping to something long term, because that way you have a passion to look forward to.

That's the thing, I do love the hobbies I pick up and I do see them as something I'd like to keep on doing. My enthusiasm just seems to decline at some point, despite how much I enjoy it. Kinda like my energy levels on any given day. I sometimes wake up, raring to go, enthusiastic, but by 2pm Im ready to give up and go back to bed.

As far as depression goes I don't think that's unusual. One of the symptoms is low energy or a loss of interest in activities. My only advice would be to push through it to the next good period if you're not already. For a lot of people it seems to come and go.

If your hobby is becoming a "job" then maybe you just have too much on your plate. It's ok to let things fall by the wayside for awhile.

I agree with dd11. If you feel it's too much, just stick it on the back burner for a while and go back to it when you are ready.

You might also consider forcing yourself to do it anyway, if it's a case of something like depression or just moody that you feel it's pointless and won't help you in any way.

So you've got depression & a lack of energy.

Perhaps it's time to put your hobbies aside & focus on your health issue's. Are you seeing a councellor and/or a doctor? Are you working out two or three times a week? Is your diet healthy? This last one is really important because if you're not getting the right balance of nutrients then your body & your mind aren't going to function properly, to the point that it can affect your judgement, decision making, & general ability to focus, along with affecting your physical energy levels.

ChallengerApproaches said:
That's the thing, I do love the hobbies I pick up and I do see them as something I'd like to keep on doing. My enthusiasm just seems to decline at some point, despite how much I enjoy it. Kinda like my energy levels on any given day. I sometimes wake up, raring to go, enthusiastic, but by 2pm Im ready to give up and go back to bed.

Maybe you should try less, when it comes to actively finding a hobby. Just explore stuff and let the passion come to you.

It's like people's careers. You don't know what you want to do at university or college, until you've explored all of them and had some time to contemplate them. Even when you think you know what you want to do and you think you've explored all options, there's always another that you missed and it's the one you find to be the most passionate about.

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass. I believe in my ass though.

Personally, my attention span for hobbies and stuff is just very limited. So I don't typically stick to one thing. There are so many things out there, that I don't feel I personally have any obligation to enjoy something for longer than I can handle.

AmytheTemperamental said:
Personally, my attention span for hobbies and stuff is just very limited. So I don't typically stick to one thing. There are so many things out there, that I don't feel I personally have any obligation to enjoy something for longer than I can handle.

You're not supposed to have any obligation, just let stuff flow through you. Eventually, no matter how long it takes, you'll decide on something.

niceguysfinishlast said:
At least you get to have a hobby. I've quit trying because I never get a chance to do them. :/

Sorry to hear that. I know you'll be able to sometime.

Nice guys always finish first, in the end.

Droopy said:

You're not supposed to have any obligation, just let stuff flow through you. Eventually, no matter how long it takes, you'll decide on something.

Or I can decide on all of the things :club:

Droopy said:

Or I can decide on all of the things :club:

Go for it. I want to pursue voice acting, acting, film directing, computer hardware and applying to the royal navy.

Might not be able to chase after all of them, but I will believe.

Latest posts

Back