Being let down down twice by building firm

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiina63

Reaction score
I need some construction work done on my house and a local company had said they would do it and gave me a date for two weeks ago. The night before, they emailed me last thing to say they couldn't come (owing to a job elsewhere taking longer than expected) and that they would come this Monday instead. A man from the company came to take some measurements this morning. Then this afternoon I got an email from the company cancelling yet again owing to another job elsewhere, but this time saying that if I want the work doing without any more delays, to look for a different company as they can't guarantee when they can come. I am feeling so hopeless about the whole issue and being completely on my own makes it worse as it doesn't affect anyone else, so I have no real support or backup. I can't talk about it with most people as they aren't really interested. One thing I hate about being alone is that I have to do everything myself and arrange everything myself, that there is no one to 'take the reins' even for a while, to give me a break. I could email the company and say that they can come when they are able to, but then I could be waiting for ever.

Tiina63 said:
I need some construction work done on my house and a local company had said they would do it and gave me a date for two weeks ago. The night before, they emailed me last thing to say they couldn't come (owing to a job elsewhere taking longer than expected) and that they would come this Monday instead. A man from the company came to take some measurements this morning. Then this afternoon I got an email from the company cancelling yet again owing to another job elsewhere, but this time saying that if I want the work doing without any more delays, to look for a different company as they can't guarantee when they can come. I am feeling so hopeless about the whole issue and being completely on my own makes it worse as it doesn't affect anyone else, so I have no real support or backup. I can't talk about it with most people as they aren't really interested. One thing I hate about being alone is that I have to do everything myself and arrange everything myself, that there is no one to 'take the reins' even for a while, to give me a break. I could email the company and say that they can come when they are able to, but then I could be waiting for ever.
Well they don't sound to reliable and if they start on your project I'd be concerned that they 'd complete it quickly and without wondering off to other jobs.
I think I'd be looking for one of the give me a quote sites....but make absolutely sure they have positive feedback ....talk to one or two of their past customers...tradesmen are a potential minefield..

Tiina63 said:
so I have no real support or backup. I can't talk about it with most people as they aren't really interested. One thing I hate about being alone is that I have to do everything myself and arrange everything myself, that there is no one to 'take the reins' even for a while, to give me a break. I could email the company and say that they can come when they are able to, but then I could be waiting for ever.

I would let them go. I have heard horror stories of construction people starting and then NOT FINISHING and just abandoning the project. I am not sure what season you are in (are you in UK?) but I find it extremely hard to find construction people during peak times. If you want work done try to get it done in the late fall early winter when they have less business. I had a guy last year that dropped me the first time I asked for any change to what he wanted to do. He had so much business he was looking for any excuse.

I can so relate about having to do every last thing myself and how tired of it I get sometimes. If I could just get a 5 minute break. If someone could just put toilet paper in the bathroom for me... that is it, that is all I need. :) I hired someone a few years ago to run errands for me. In some ways it was good, a pleasure not to have to go to the store every week. But in other ways it sucked as every week I had to come up with a list for her to do and answer endless questions and typically every time she went they were out of something so I had to go later myself.

I used a company called Task Rabbit -- maybe it could give you a break.

Thank for your replies.
I think I will let them go as they may cancel at the last minute again. Although the job is fairly big, it would only take one or two days at most. There is another local company who I can get in touch with, though they wouldn't be able to do the work till next Spring. And I have asked the structural engineer who came out last summer to diagnose the problem with my house if he can recommend someone to me, as he put in his report that he would be able to.
Yes, I am in the UK. I don't know if we have Task Rabbit here or if I could afford to use their service if we did? I'm glad you can understand my exhaustion over having to do everything myself. Most of the time I feel that I am floundering around, hoping for the best, but barely keeping afloat.

Tiina63 said:
Thank for your replies. I think I will let them go as they may cancel at the last minute again. Although the job is fairly big, it would only take one or two days at most.

It is unfortunate but I think small jobs like this are not something most firms don't want to do. They just aren't as profitable as maybe a 4 month job.

I used to want to be a real estate flipper and I figured I would just hire people but I realized... it isn't that easy. That is why people will pay extra for good finished homes... because it can be such a hassle.

I also had a friend who was a stay at home mom and I had her do the errands for me. She just added to her normal chores and brought the kids with her. That was the best honestly, but, she couldn't keep it going as she got sick. You should look around for an errands service just to give you a break. Not all the time but maybe just with this project.

SO MANY BAD CONTRACTORS

I had my roof replaced by a well known contractor that had done lots of work in my neighborhood
Asked a person that had them do their roof
They screwed up a few things ...like the basics of ice and water shield ...nails all over my driveway and yard ..trash left behind ...tar marks all over the brick ...
I had not gave a deposit and refused to pay unless they completely replaced the roof again
They wanted to just replace the areas they screwed up ...I said they would need to get a letter from the shingle manufacturer stating it wouldnt effect the life of any shingles they needed to lift to do their repairs
The contractor walked away without a penny because he knew he could not get such a letter

the best thing IMO to do is get multiple quotes and ask for references
check the references and ask questions like quality professionalism etc

SO MANY BAD CONTRACTORS

I had my roof replaced by a well known contractor that had done lots of work in my neighborhood
Asked a person that had them do their roof
They screwed up a few things ...like the basics of ice and water shield ...nails all over my driveway and yard ..trash left behind ...tar marks all over the brick ...
I had not gave a deposit and refused to pay unless they completely replaced the roof again
They wanted to just replace the areas they screwed up ...I said they would need to get a letter from the shingle manufacturer stating it wouldnt effect the life of any shingles they needed to lift to do their repairs
The contractor walked away without a penny because he knew he could not get such a letter

the best thing IMO to do is get multiple quotes and ask for references
check the references and ask questions like quality professionalism etc

what is the work you need performed ?

It does take time to get work done. I mean, you do sometimes have to be patient. It depends on the time of year too. If you need inside work done in the summer, that is very difficult. Often around here, i have to wait till we are getting closer to fall to get more inside work done.

talking to my nephew yesterday
He had an addition done before he moved into a house he bought
He was supposed to be in before last Christmas ....he just moved in about 3 weeks ago
He decide to have the same contractor refinish the basement at the same time ... the contractor gutted the basement and now says he will be back later because he had other work lined up

I have another builder coming out next week to give me a quote. Am hoping that it will go better than the one who let me down.
Bad Guy- he work I need doing is: kitchen window and lintel replacing, cracked brickwork repaired and repointed and rods inserted into the wall to knit the brickwork together and a new bathroom window sill. I am sorry to hear about the problems you had with your roof and that your nephew is having. I hope that the contractor comes back soon to do his basement.
ddll-I don't mind waiting as long as the builders give me a date and turn upon that date, even if it is not for several months.

This is close to the field I work in. If the work is not critical in nature, keep looking and researching (read reviews, word of mouth, etc.) until you find someone that treats you right.

bleed_the_freak said:
This is close to the field I work in. If the work is not critical in nature, keep looking and researching (read reviews, word of mouth, etc.) until you find someone that treats you right.

this and better if you get a reference from someone you know like a close neighbor
I had asked someone in the neighborhood about my roofer ...she was happy at that time but by the time my roof was done she was not :(

Latest posts

Back