Social Milestones

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dd11

Reaction score
Just wondering. How many of you have been a bridesmaid or groomsman? Did you have a bachelor or bachelorette party? Has anyone ever thrown a party for you like a surprise birthday party, baby shower , graduation, etc?

I didn't even bother to go to the graduation ceremony for my degree, hahaha.

There was a surprise party for my 18th birthday. It was nothing huge, but it was kind of a big deal for me at the time.

I've never been a bridesmaid.

My wedding was as minimal as possible (no girls night out as I didn't have close friends).

On my 17th birthday I was made a fuss of in the children's home with a birthday cake and a happy celebratory atmosphere. Four months later, I was made to leave the home and sent to live and work in London (I don't remember my 18th other than I was living alone and working full time).

I have been a bridesmaid and have had surprise parties held for me, and I have organized them for others a few times myself, including one for my mother this year to which about 80+ people came. I am currently organizing a small one- just for family this time, unlike the other one- for a couple of cousins who are 2 months apart and have been joined at the hip about as long as they've acknowledged their own sense of self.

I was a bridesmaid for my sister. That's it. I pulled off a surprise birthday party for mom that turned out very nice. DH has taken me out for some surprise dinners and dates. I didn't have a bachelorrette party and he didn't have a bachelor party. We got married in the town i grew up in and that really wasn't so much of a 'thing" as it is now.
When my kids were little i did have nice birthday parties for them, bowling, renting out the pool at the Y and so forth. Now that they are older, they really don't want that type of thing.
At work, people seem to acknowledge other's birthdays, but mine never seems to come up. It's just the way it is. I used to contribute money to all of their crap, but when my mom died and I didn't even get a card, i am over it.

Latest posts

Back