Social isolation causing legitimate problems

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardour

Well known loser
Reaction score
I came across this website. Whoever this is is obviously trying to flog some popularity manual by making lonely readers feel hopeless, but this page raised some interesting issues: http://www.adultsocialskills.com/problems.html

"For normal people with friends and social lives these thoughts that never cross their mind. For adult losers, having no friends causes legitimate problems that interfere with their ability to live normally and fit in. Some of the most common of which include:

They have nobody to sign their passport as personal references who are not relatives. The people who they can ask may be individuals they haven’t spoken to in years and it would look incredibly weird to ask them to be references. It would be obvious and embarrassing that you have no friends to the old acquaintance you are asking.

While for most loners finding a partner for marriage is not an option, if they ever had a wedding it would be obvious that they have no friends to invite or stand with them. For socially rejected adults, this would alert family members and the whole world to the fact that they are isolated and alone.

Pictures taken at graduation ceremonies would show that the person has no close friends to invite and everyone there would be wondering where the person’s friends are.

Facebook profiles show little activity and virtually no pictures with friends or out at parties/gatherings. Pictures with other people in them may be extremely dated making it obvious the person has no social life whatsoever.

Certain professions and job applications require personal references that are not family members. Similar to the passport application, the loner has no one to ask other than perhaps old acquaintances who they haven’t spoken to in years. There is virtually no solution to this problem.

If the loner wins or is given tickets to a sports game, concert, vacation or other event, the tickets often come in pairs. The problem is that the loner has no friends to invite to go with them. The people they do know who they can ask are distant contacts that they haven’t spoken to in possibly years or just casual acquaintances. Again, it would be obvious and embarrassing because it would show the world that they loner simply has nobody else to go with.

While most socially rejected adults are unable to attract romantic partners, when dating it would become extremely obvious that you have no friends or social life. The discovery of your social isolation will often cause the potential romantic partner to reject you.

For socially rejected adults these are legitimate problems that cause anxiety, depression, and stress. Friendlessness is not just about being lonely, it is self-limiting condition that is very difficult to break out of and negatively impacts the social rejects’:

career, travel and entertainment related options

ability to partake in common activities and opportunities without people they know finding out that they are a loser

the loners’ chances of dating or securing a long term relationship because they guy/girl they are seeing will often consider them not worthy of dating once they realize that they have no friends or social life"

I don't plan on getting a passport any time soon, but I've faced problems of this sort when applying for jobs (no referees outside of family).

One of the last socially acceptable forms of discrimination, or jumping onto the victim identity politics bandwagon...

ardour said:
I came across this website. Whoever this is is obviously trying to flog some popularity manual by making readers feel insecure and hopeless, but this page raised some interesting issues: http://www.adultsocialskills.com/problems.html

"For normal people with friends and social lives these thoughts that never cross their mind. For adult losers, having no friends causes legitimate problems that interfere with their ability to live normally and fit in. Some of the most common of which include:

They have nobody to sign their passport as personal references who are not relatives. The people who they can ask may be individuals they haven’t spoken to in years and it would look incredibly weird to ask them to be references. It would be obvious and embarrassing that you have no friends to the old acquaintance you are asking.

While for most loners finding a partner for marriage is not an option, if they ever had a wedding it would be obvious that they have no friends to invite or stand with them. For socially rejected adults, this would alert family members and the whole world to the fact that they are isolated and alone.

Pictures taken at graduation ceremonies would show that the person has no close friends to invite and everyone there would be wondering where the person’s friends are.

Facebook profiles show little activity and virtually no pictures with friends or out at parties/gatherings. Pictures with other people in them may be extremely dated making it obvious the person has no social life whatsoever.

Certain professions and job applications require personal references that are not family members. Similar to the passport application, the loner has no one to ask other than perhaps old acquaintances who they haven’t spoken to in years. There is virtually no solution to this problem.

If the loner wins or is given tickets to a sports game, concert, vacation or other event, the tickets often come in pairs. The problem is that the loner has no friends to invite to go with them. The people they do know who they can ask are distant contacts that they haven’t spoken to in possibly years or just casual acquaintances. Again, it would be obvious and embarrassing because it would show the world that they loner simply has nobody else to go with.

While most socially rejected adults are unable to attract romantic partners, when dating it would become extremely obvious that you have no friends or social life. The discovery of your social isolation will often cause the potential romantic partner to reject you.

For socially rejected adults these are legitimate problems that cause anxiety, depression, and stress. Friendlessness is not just about being lonely, it is self-limiting condition that is very difficult to break out of and negatively impacts the social rejects’:

ability to partake in common activities and opportunities without people they know finding out that they are a loser

the loners’ chances of dating or securing a long term relationship because they guy/girl they are seeing will often consider them not worthy of dating once they realize that they have no friends or social life"

I don't plan on getting a passport any time soon, but I've faced problems of this sort when applying for jobs (no referees outside of family).

One of the last socially acceptable forms of discrimination, or jumping onto the victim identity politics bandwagon...

Yep you've really stated the case there ..but maybe omitted one very significant factor....complete absence of a stabilising family, this may be because of highly damaged individual members within that family and bearing in mind that a person's family while growing up may consist of one parental figure...so instead of a nurturing experience it becomes a transfer of damaging negative behaviours ..undermining an individual to the extent that eventual isolation becomes inevitable...these people are not ' losers ' they are victims

I think to a very great extent our ability to form relationships is governed by the relationships we have experienced during our formative years for some these may be positive and nurturing for others a mixed bag and for some highly destructive...the trend away from family units possibly creates a greater likelihood of a negative outcome but I know this is a massive simplification..maybe lack of education on the subject..lack of intervention or even identifying the potential...lack of resources..no it seems to be of greater importance to welcome the practise of gay marriage...I get the feeling that something has gone fundamentally wrong with society.

sothatwasmylife said:
Yep you've really stated the case there ..but maybe omitted one very significant factor....complete absence of a stabilising family, this may be because of highly damaged individual members within that family and bearing in mind that a person's family while growing up may consist of one parental figure...so instead of a nurturing experience it becomes a transfer of damaging negative behaviours ..undermining an individual to the extent that eventual isolation becomes inevitable...these people are not ' losers ' they are victims

That's a quote from the page if you hadn't realized.

The entire website is horrendous really; the author trying to make money by compounding people's feelings of inadequacy, offering solutions with what seems like generic (and sometimes contradictory) advice. Still there's a few genuine issues raised here and there.

No I did realise that ...I just wanted to add what really infuriates me is although we are encouraged to embrace 'gay marriage'' and pretty much ignore social ills...'gay marriage'' is a contradiction in terms marriage having for most people religious associations and homosexuality being utterly unacceptable within Cristian creed..it is utterly insane....does the state really imagine we are all totally stupid ..A great cause for politicians to sign up to as it involves no government expense and may have the benefit of appearing to make them look enlightened...well it doesn't it just exposes them for the coniving parasites they truly are that's my rant !!
We've even got same sex members of the clergy embarking on gay marriages...for crying out loud just shove Christianity and the entire hypocrisy of religion in the bin and embark on something that may bring about enlightened change...ok..phew!!
Finished now !!

ardour said:
sothatwasmylife said:

That's a quote from the page if you hadn't realized.

The entire website is horrendous really; the author trying to make money by compounding people's feelings of inadequacy, offering solutions with what seems like generic (and sometimes contradictory) advice. Still there's a few genuine issues raised here and there:

I didn't graduate in-person for the reason stated.

Didn't have a 21st either: literally only 2 friends I could have invited back then and no way I wanted them to know.

Sorry went off on a bit a bit of a 'banging my drum' tangent...the problem is that much of what's outlined in the article, promo is actually entirely true...the fact that it may well be a scam should come as a surprise to no one...scammers have absolutely no moral or ethical compass whatsoever but most of them really aren't that cleaver and become fairly obvious within a short space of time....to be honest some of the scamming practises -bot templates -are a total insult to anyone's intelligence...to give the article you posted credit it does identify the majority of difficulties experienced by people who are isolated, alone, but then shoots itself in the foot by referring to these people as losers and seems to suggest they are self imposed losers...which simply isn't the case ...it totally overlooks the impact of environment and nurture ..

sothatwasmylife said:
No I did realise that ...Blah blah blah, blah blah blah, blah blah blah
Finished now !!

Oh, so you're one of those people that pick and choose where to look in the Bible and determine what it means, huh? Look a little harder and you might realize why what you said is wrong and completely offensive.

sothatwasmylife said:
No I did realise that ...I just wanted to add what really infuriates me is although we are encouraged to embrace 'gay marriage'' and pretty much ignore social ills...'gay marriage'' is a contradiction in terms marriage having for most people religious associations and homosexuality being utterly unacceptable within Cristian creed..it is utterly insane....does the state really imagine we are all totally stupid ..A great cause for politicians to sign up to as it involves no government expense and may have the benefit of appearing to make them look enlightened...well it doesn't it just exposes them for the coniving parasites they truly are that's my rant !!
We've even got same sex members of the clergy embarking on gay marriages...for crying out loud just shove Christianity and the entire hypocrisy of religion in the bin and embark on something that may bring about enlightened change...ok..phew!!
Finished now !!

I'm not completely sure of your stance on gay marriage, but quite a few Christian churches accept it and the idea of gay couples. There are still many who think it is against the religion, because somewhere in some version of the bible, it does say it's unholy. However, the bible also says to not judge. So you tell me which is higher on the scale of being contradictory... The people following the book, or the book itself...

I think it's fine if you're against the idea. You're perfectly within your rights to be against whatever you should choose. But keep whatever prejudices you have for it to yourself. Again, I'm not totally clear on your stance, as your post is more than a little jumbled. I just don't want there to be any issues that follow a post like such.

sothatwasmylife said:
ardour said:
I came across this website. Whoever this is is obviously trying to flog some popularity manual by making readers feel insecure and hopeless, but this page raised some interesting issues: http://www.adultsocialskills.com/problems.html

+1

The gay marriage thing is probably a different thread and I really don't want to touch on Biblical interpretations of Christian dogma vis a vis homosexuality.

But those examples of the socially isolated life....gosh that was depressing to me. They touched too close to home. My own family has been effed up for decades and I'm managing its endgame better than any of us ever handled the early years. I'm almost a total social isolate and I blame our family.

After Mom is gone and the will is settled, I refuse to ever see any of them again. Who will inherit the farm, this house and its 12 acres when I check out of the world?

I only have one social relationship worthy of the name and some acquaintances from public volunteering, beekeeping club and church. Gosh, how pathetic.

This online site, some survivalist forums and a few Facebook groups focused on special interests are what keep me sane.

And my sanity may not really be all that healthy.

TheRealCallie said:
sothatwasmylife said:
No I did realise that ...Blah blah blah, blah blah blah, blah blah blah
Finished now !!

Oh, so you're one of those people that pick and choose where to look in the Bible and determine what it means, huh? Look a little harder and you might realize why what you said is wrong and completely offensive.

Well kindly enlighten me in that regard...what I stated is entirely accurate...hmosexuality is not in any way condoned by Biblical text....frankly I couldn't care less what the Bible does or doesn't state viewing it as a selection of texts cobbled together by a commission....what I do object to is making the unacceptable according to text acceptable if it happens to be inconvenient....and that's all I have to say on the subject.

Keep the religion talk and debate off the forums, please. If you wish to talk about it, take it to PM or other means of communication.

Yeah, apart from the legit bureaucratic and professional hurdles named there, that list is really just a travesty. Most of the problems amount to nothing more than "You're gonna look bad in front of others". As if every loner/social isolate wasn't already fully aware of this consequence. Luckily this has lowest possible priority to some of us.

Rodent said:
Yeah, apart from the legit bureaucratic and professional hurdles named there, that list is really just a travesty. Most of the problems amount to nothing more than "You're gonna look bad in front of others". As if every loner/social isolate wasn't already fully aware of this consequence. Luckily this has lowest possible priority to some of us.

I think if the aim is to prey upon people's insecurities that's a pretty effective tool particularly for younger people who want to be seen as of worth by thier peers and may already be experiencing self doubt...but as you say lowest priority for some of us but I think we may be a minority...I'm gong to take a look at the site/link see if it offers any greater clarity
Yeah well only $30 and a free month subscription to their audio programme...now that's going to totally revolutionize your life.... and covering all the options..fat and lonely...thin and lonely.... excessively good looking and lonely ...and so very many more ... but the market will always attempt to exploit vulnerability where it exists...
it's a part of the human condition...and the web is an ideal tool...we shouldn't condone it ...but it shouldn't really surprise us.

sothatwasmylife said:
I think if the aim is to prey upon people's insecurities that's a pretty effective tool particularly for younger people who want to be seen as of worth by thier peers and may already be experiencing self doubt...but as you say lowest priority for some of us but I think we may be a minority...I'm gong to take a look at the site/link see if it offers any greater clarity
Yeah well only $30 and a free month subscription to their audio programme...now that's going to totally revolutionize your life.... and covering all the options..fat and lonely...thin and lonely.... excessively good looking and lonely ...and so very many more ... but the market will always attempt to exploit vulnerability where it exists...
it's a part of the human condition...and the web is an ideal tool...we shouldn't condone it ...but it shouldn't really surprise us.

Indeed, it's very effective like all the other shaming and ostracizing tactics used to nag one into submission. But I'm not fooling myself either, we are a minority. Acceptance from the flock of the average at the convenient price of 30$ and the relief of your personal integrity is quite tempting...even if this great wisdom is effectively as valuable as whatever can be scraped from the bottom of any cereal box.

Rodent said:
sothatwasmylife said:

Indeed, it's very effective like all the other shaming and ostracizing tactics used to nag one into submission. But I'm not fooling myself either, we are a minority. Acceptance from the flock of the average at the convenient price of 30$ and the relief of your personal integrity is quite tempting...even if this great wisdom is effectively as valuable as whatever can be scraped from the bottom of any cereal box.
Yep but a free audio subscription for a month though : )

Rodent said:

For those of us who aren’t completely satisfied with isolation those problems still matter. I didn’t graduate in-person for the reason stated here, something which felt significant at the time.

The author seems to have done of good job of condensing the negative self-talk lonely people fall into with the intent of exploiting those insecurities, but I can’t help thinking some observations are actually on point, particularly the part about in-groups and fear of the loner: http://www.adultsocialskills.com/givingup.htm

ardour said:
For those of us who aren’t completely satisfied with isolation those problems still matter. I didn’t graduate in-person for the reason stated here, something which felt significant at the time.

The author seems to have done of good job of condensing the negative self-talk lonely people fall into with the intent to exploit those insecurities, but I can’t help thinking some observations are actually on point, particularly the part about in-groups and fear of the loner: http://www.adultsocialskills.com/givingup.htm

Well, at no point I said what was stated on the page was factually incorrect though there are a lot of watered-down truths. Rather it is the opposite, most of these "revelations" are self-evident to the average loner - or even the average person. In-group and out-group dynamics are already known to me, along with the process of othering. It's not nearly as insightful as the author tries to sell it to a desperate consumer base.

I have to admit that reading the section "Defensiveness in the attitudes of adult loners with no friends" fills me to the brim with spite:

Loners not only project bitterness towards other people, they also, as a defense mechanism to being perceived as a failure, be the first people to declare how happy, successful, or well off they are. This bragging not only comes across as unusual (and pathetic) to normal people, it is normally seen as an indicator of weakness. People who are happy with their lives don’t have to go out of their way to try to tell people – they are too busy being happy.
Trying to overcompensate for what their lives are lacking not only signals to the world that the person is an obvious weak minded loser, it also makes the person even more unlikable. This becomes another part of the cycle as the person grows fatter, more bitter, more annoying, and less likable.

Please, tell me again how your [generalized] inability to deal with limited social interaction projects directly onto me, turning me into a fat, ugly and unbearable fake. In my experience, actual loners are not positivity and happiness cultists. They seem more likely to be too busy being content (or "happy", if you want to go there) to constantly spread some sunnyside attitude all over the place, unable to deal with diversity in how other people exist in their vicinity.

Of course if you’re a self-identified, genuinely content loner, which seems to be the case, this will just appear even more gratuitously insulting. I don’t think they’re meant to be revelations as much as a strategy of re-iterating of what the “losers” already know/suspect, albeit in the most negative way possible.

Interesting that some of the “risks associated” with their “social skills technology” (http://www.thepopularclub.com/ ) reminds me of favoured "Dark Triad" personality traits pick up artists promote.

I’m at the stage where I’d really like to know what I’m doings to make people suddenly go off me, preferably in blunt, specific terms. Scams like this play on that desire. If there were a reasonable chance of getting a few real insights here I might even be tempted to part with a one-off $29.95…

Latest posts

Back