Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anyone Hear From bjarne?
I've done website development, web server administration, and forum software for over a decade. The truth is, this place could be completely overhauled in one afternoon. It pretty much is what we called "administratively abandoned" in my world. Perhaps the staff (moderators) could buy the domain name and then migrate to a platform where you can control updates, add-ons, hacks, mods, etc. Administratively speaking, running a forum is pretty simple stuff. With MyBB, it's pretty much learn as you go. Oh yeah, don't forget to backup the database redundantly! My two cents. Smile
(09-16-2016, 05:06 PM)bleed_the_freak Wrote: I've done website development, web server administration, and forum software for over a decade. The truth is, this place could be completely overhauled in one afternoon. It pretty much is what we called "administratively abandoned" in my world. Perhaps the staff (moderators) could buy the domain name and then migrate to a platform where you can control updates, add-ons, hacks, mods, etc. Administratively speaking, running a forum is pretty simple stuff. With MyBB, it's pretty much learn as you go. Oh yeah, don't forget to backup the database redundantly! My two cents. Smile

Interesting, I just mentioned to another forum member yesterday moving to another owner/ admin. Web development isn't in my wheelhouse but I know there are a few web developers, including you, here on the site.

I'm on another forum that migrated to the MyBB platform awhile back and it seems pretty decent.
http://www.atheistforums.org
We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
-Anais Nin
That wasn't an odd response. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it was odd in any way. It's not simply asking. This is his forum. If he should decide to shift ownership or co-own with someone, that's on him. It's not for you or anyone else to demand he do because he's not around often.
Oh and look, he's already aware....

(03-01-2016, 05:06 AM)bjarne Wrote: I know there are a number of issues after upgrading.
Some good new things, but also some broken things. I believe it comes from upgrading and then the upgrade process partially conflicting with already made modifications to the templates. There is also a huge number of javascript errors/warnings Sad

I will attempt to fix issues one by one, as I have the time.
DISCLAIMER:
The views I express are my own opinion. More often than not, if I say "you," it is generalized and not to a person specifically.

My advice is based on my own experiences and those of my friends and family. I may not have a degree saying I read a bunch of books/passed tests, but I have been through a lot and helped others through a lot. Experience is often a better qualification than having read books/passed tests.

I speak in a blunt manner. I mean no disrespect and I'm not being rude. This is just the way I am, please do not take offense.

Take what you like and leave the rest.

I still exist.
"There are no answers. There are only Choices." (From Solaris)
Hmm
"There are no answers. There are only Choices." (From Solaris)
*blink*
“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’”
Heil bjarne!
*blinkblinkblink*- wow- *happy*
Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts. (Albert Einstein)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bjarne do you want.... Gunblaza 16 3,022 01-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Last Post: evanescencefan91