Do you just not meet people you like anymore?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tealeaf said:
I sometimes feel this way, but I also know that casual friendships or "fair-weather" ones don't really interest me. I don't find it fulfilling as I'm getting older to spend a lot of time on superficial socializing with people I don't really know (and likely never will) at meetups or over social media. I crave close friendships with people I can truly rely on and open up to, and those are rare.

I feel the same.  I only have time for so much in my life so I want to make sure that everyone I spend time on counts to me in some way.  I've seen real-life connections happen from talking to people on social media, so I believe you can actually get to know someone over social media and form a real, meaningful connection that could manifest in real life.  I just wish I knew how to do it.  

Tealeaf said:
Recently I tried to meet other friends and singles online in the area. So many of them were into drinking, clubbing, weed, sports, and TV even in their 20's and 30's...

Yeah, I have this problem too.  I can't even count the number of online dating profiles I've seen that list some combination of these things as their interests.  I don't have much interest in getting to know this type of person.  There isn't much I could relate to them about and I don't think there's much they could do for me either.  It makes me wonder what I'm going to do.  I don't know where I fit in either.  I am nice, and not really much of a rule-breaker, but I'm not 100% straight-laced either, I used to smoke weed and I've had a few psychedelic experiences and I don't really talk much about normal topics like sports or the news or celebrities.  I find that I'm not wild enough for the wild ones, but just because the more normal ones are nice doesn't mean there is anything about them that excites me or makes me curious.  The ones I've liked have always been a little more on the wild side than me, but they also had some intellectual depth to them that made them really unique and interesting.  Sure, some of them smoked weed, but they liked a bunch of other things as well which made them fun to talk to, as opposed to the crowd you described.  I think there's a difference between unique people that might do a few of those things, and typical stoners that are all more or less the same.  Unfortunately, I was very far behind them socially so that was an issue.  But these regular drinking/clubbing/weed types are not the same thing...the uniqueness and depth is just not there.  I don't think they would give me the kinds of conversations, experiences, and connections I'm looking for.  But it seems like it's either them, or the more conservative, professional types.  I don't feel like either is a very appealing option but as it stands now, there's not really much else.

michael2 said:
I was looking through videos about social issues etc on the internet and I came across this guy who said "just because you are nice to people does not mean people have to like you back".

I dont agree with that statement at all - because its attempting to coverup the ugly side of many people today, that is most people do not choose to like you as a friend if they feel you cannot better their life or do something for them.  Most of the time its selfish.  All too often I've talked to people and get the "invisible wall" put up between me and them.  Im sure you know what Im talking about when I mention people putting up a wall between you and them when talking.  Your not even given a chance,  you've been judged by your appearance and have been found someone undesirable to them.

Correct me if Im wrong,  but I feel you are like me,  the way we view people is very different from the way others view people.  It can be summed up in these words by Will Rogers:  "I never met a man that I didnt like."  Thats me,  and Im thinking its you too.  However, it may come to a shock to you that this is not the case for maybe 95%+ of people.  They have very narrow views of what makes someone a possible friend, usually its based around who can do something for them or better their life.  Again, selfish reasons.  Thats where 'nice isnt good enough' spawned from.  Most people dont give a crap about you if they feel you cant improve their life in some way.  Its all about them, its never about them improving your life,  its all about them doing all the draining from you.

Dont let them change who you are.  Starting to not care about other people is making you like them.

I feel this too.  I've seen a lot of people saying in various places things like that, "nice is not good enough" and "just because you are nice to someone doesn't mean they have to like you back" and while it might not be completely false, I do also get the feeling that people just use those ideas as excuses for justifying their own lousy behavior.  It's just like you said, they're trying to cover up their own ugly side.  I feel like we are living in some kind of Age of the *********, men and women alike, where more and more people view niceness as old-fashioned and weak and being selfish, obnoxious, rude, trashy, and mean are seen as status and strength.  I feel like people these days just want to play social status games, trying to climb the ladder while at the same time sneering down and pointing at those they feel superior to.  I've also felt like people these days judge you on your standing and what you can do for them, instead of just trying to get along - it's all about your money, popularity and status, "edginess", or physical power.  I agree that the invisible wall exists, but to me, is more about coolness than appearance.  

I try not to be this way myself.  I try to just be friendly and not bring people down for sport or pick on those weaker than me.  And I've met quite a few people that do indeed better my life, and one of the ways they do it is indeed by being nice, just being willing to talk with me instead of caring about whether or not I have power or social status.  

I am trying to cultivate more good traits about me as well as being nice, so I can be more interesting to others and to myself.  But I too would like to see people stop trashing niceness as weak, "uncool", and worthless.  

Eternitydreamer said:
I find people generally cold and not sensitive to others. Women are really into catty "friendships". Their lifestyle is mostly sex, smokes, alcohol, clubs, bars and parties. I have never been like that. I'm a born-again Christian. I am into a nice board game, karaoke, hugs..
The people I like never like me back so what's the point. I think we will get along then they completely snub me and go to someone else. I have never talked about my faith to anyone unless asked. Like an older woman today asked me about a cross I have on my shoes. I try my best to talk up but they go to each other and avoid me. The woman who asked about my shoes asked why I don't go to church and I said I don't get along with people and she said awkwardly "you're ok". 
I'm a really emotional, caring and loving person. I'd do anything for someone but can't get anyone to like me back. 
Somehow my personality can't click with anyone online or offline. They don't want to let me speak, respect me or value my thoughts or feelings. If I speak or tell a joke, it's radio silence or a funny look. They change convos to being about them and aren't interested in anything I say. I genuinely care about everyone I meet and do want friendships but somehow it just doesn't happen. I often get talked over and when I'm still talking they completely talk over me to another person like I'm not even there. It happened to today and I'm sick of being treated like this. This is so insanely rude and even my mother treats me the same. I've always felt invisible. 
I have never once had a boyfriend or any relationships apart from a really fake friendship I had years back when I was just 13. Not getting into it but she never EVER liked me.
I have a shy, kind, but bland personality so maybe I just can't find anyone in the world like me. I like stuffed animals, the colour pink, fashion, pastel colours and kind of have a sweet and sugary personality. I'm not loud by any means. I'm obese and blonde too. I never compliment myself, just stating the sort of personality I have.
I just wanted to let you know that I relate a lot to what you said there, Eternitydreamer.  I have often found people to be cold and catty, especially in school and even nowadays, among more mainstream people.  The lifestyle is a lot like you described - drinking, smoking, drugs, clubs, bars, and parties, as well as parading around their wealth, status, brute strength, or defiance.  I'm also more into being friendly than into being "cool" and playing these dominance games.  
Fortunately, I have a great group of friends in real life, and I've met some pretty good people online too.  I have also been described as having a sweet personality,  but at the same time, I too have wondered if my personality is too bland.  Anyway.  Just wanted to say I feel for you.  I think your interests sound very cute, by the way :)

TheSkaFish said:
I feel this too.  I've seen a lot of people saying in various places things like that, "nice is not good enough" and "just because you are nice to someone doesn't mean they have to like you back" and while it might not be completely false, I do also get the feeling that people just use those ideas as excuses for justifying their own lousy behavior.  It's just like you said, they're trying to cover up their own ugly side.  I feel like we are living in some kind of Age of the *********, men and women alike, where more and more people view niceness as old-fashioned and weak and being selfish, obnoxious, rude, trashy, and mean are seen as status and strength.

The 'nice is not enough' schtick is often just a shutdown tactic. Plenty of people who aren't decent in any sense of the word still find their way into relationships.

TheSkaFish said:
Tealeaf said:
I sometimes feel this way, but I also know that casual friendships or "fair-weather" ones don't really interest me. I don't find it fulfilling as I'm getting older to spend a lot of time on superficial socializing with people I don't really know (and likely never will) at meetups or over social media. I crave close friendships with people I can truly rely on and open up to, and those are rare.

I feel the same.  I only have time for so much in my life so I want to make sure that everyone I spend time on counts to me in some way.  I've seen real-life connections happen from talking to people on social media, so I believe you can actually get to know someone over social media and form a real, meaningful connection that could manifest in real life.  I just wish I knew how to do it.  

Tealeaf said:
Recently I tried to meet other friends and singles online in the area. So many of them were into drinking, clubbing, weed, sports, and TV even in their 20's and 30's...

Yeah, I have this problem too.  I can't even count the number of online dating profiles I've seen that list some combination of these things as their interests.  I don't have much interest in getting to know this type of person.  There isn't much I could relate to them about and I don't think there's much they could do for me either.  It makes me wonder what I'm going to do.  I don't know where I fit in either.  I am nice, and not really much of a rule-breaker, but I'm not 100% straight-laced either, I used to smoke weed and I've had a few psychedelic experiences and I don't really talk much about normal topics like sports or the news or celebrities.  I find that I'm not wild enough for the wild ones, but just because the more normal ones are nice doesn't mean there is anything about them that excites me or makes me curious.  The ones I've liked have always been a little more on the wild side than me, but they also had some intellectual depth to them that made them really unique and interesting.  Sure, some of them smoked weed, but they liked a bunch of other things as well which made them fun to talk to, as opposed to the crowd you described.  I think there's a difference between unique people that might do a few of those things, and typical stoners that are all more or less the same.  Unfortunately, I was very far behind them socially so that was an issue.  But these regular drinking/clubbing/weed types are not the same thing...the uniqueness and depth is just not there.  I don't think they would give me the kinds of conversations, experiences, and connections I'm looking for.  But it seems like it's either them, or the more conservative, professional types.  I don't feel like either is a very appealing option but as it stands now, there's not really much else.

michael2 said:
I was looking through videos about social issues etc on the internet and I came across this guy who said "just because you are nice to people does not mean people have to like you back".

I dont agree with that statement at all - because its attempting to coverup the ugly side of many people today, that is most people do not choose to like you as a friend if they feel you cannot better their life or do something for them.  Most of the time its selfish.  All too often I've talked to people and get the "invisible wall" put up between me and them.  Im sure you know what Im talking about when I mention people putting up a wall between you and them when talking.  Your not even given a chance,  you've been judged by your appearance and have been found someone undesirable to them.

Correct me if Im wrong,  but I feel you are like me,  the way we view people is very different from the way others view people.  It can be summed up in these words by Will Rogers:  "I never met a man that I didnt like."  Thats me,  and Im thinking its you too.  However, it may come to a shock to you that this is not the case for maybe 95%+ of people.  They have very narrow views of what makes someone a possible friend, usually its based around who can do something for them or better their life.  Again, selfish reasons.  Thats where 'nice isnt good enough' spawned from.  Most people dont give a crap about you if they feel you cant improve their life in some way.  Its all about them, its never about them improving your life,  its all about them doing all the draining from you.

Dont let them change who you are.  Starting to not care about other people is making you like them.

I feel this too.  I've seen a lot of people saying in various places things like that, "nice is not good enough" and "just because you are nice to someone doesn't mean they have to like you back" and while it might not be completely false, I do also get the feeling that people just use those ideas as excuses for justifying their own lousy behavior.  It's just like you said, they're trying to cover up their own ugly side.  I feel like we are living in some kind of Age of the *********, men and women alike, where more and more people view niceness as old-fashioned and weak and being selfish, obnoxious, rude, trashy, and mean are seen as status and strength.  I feel like people these days just want to play social status games, trying to climb the ladder while at the same time sneering down and pointing at those they feel superior to.  I've also felt like people these days judge you on your standing and what you can do for them, instead of just trying to get along - it's all about your money, popularity and status, "edginess", or physical power.  I agree that the invisible wall exists, but to me, is more about coolness than appearance.  

I try not to be this way myself.  I try to just be friendly and not bring people down for sport or pick on those weaker than me.  And I've met quite a few people that do indeed better my life, and one of the ways they do it is indeed by being nice, just being willing to talk with me instead of caring about whether or not I have power or social status.  

I am trying to cultivate more good traits about me as well as being nice, so I can be more interesting to others and to myself.  But I too would like to see people stop trashing niceness as weak, "uncool", and worthless.  

Eternitydreamer said:
I find people generally cold and not sensitive to others. Women are really into catty "friendships". Their lifestyle is mostly sex, smokes, alcohol, clubs, bars and parties. I have never been like that. I'm a born-again Christian. I am into a nice board game, karaoke, hugs..
The people I like never like me back so what's the point. I think we will get along then they completely snub me and go to someone else. I have never talked about my faith to anyone unless asked. Like an older woman today asked me about a cross I have on my shoes. I try my best to talk up but they go to each other and avoid me. The woman who asked about my shoes asked why I don't go to church and I said I don't get along with people and she said awkwardly "you're ok". 
I'm a really emotional, caring and loving person. I'd do anything for someone but can't get anyone to like me back. 
Somehow my personality can't click with anyone online or offline. They don't want to let me speak, respect me or value my thoughts or feelings. If I speak or tell a joke, it's radio silence or a funny look. They change convos to being about them and aren't interested in anything I say. I genuinely care about everyone I meet and do want friendships but somehow it just doesn't happen. I often get talked over and when I'm still talking they completely talk over me to another person like I'm not even there. It happened to today and I'm sick of being treated like this. This is so insanely rude and even my mother treats me the same. I've always felt invisible. 
I have never once had a boyfriend or any relationships apart from a really fake friendship I had years back when I was just 13. Not getting into it but she never EVER liked me.
I have a shy, kind, but bland personality so maybe I just can't find anyone in the world like me. I like stuffed animals, the colour pink, fashion, pastel colours and kind of have a sweet and sugary personality. I'm not loud by any means. I'm obese and blonde too. I never compliment myself, just stating the sort of personality I have.
I just wanted to let you know that I relate a lot to what you said there, Eternitydreamer.  I have often found people to be cold and catty, especially in school and even nowadays, among more mainstream people.  The lifestyle is a lot like you described - drinking, smoking, drugs, clubs, bars, and parties, as well as parading around their wealth, status, brute strength, or defiance.  I'm also more into being friendly than into being "cool" and playing these dominance games.  
Fortunately, I have a great group of friends in real life, and I've met some pretty good people online too.  I have also been described as having a sweet personality,  but at the same time, I too have wondered if my personality is too bland.  Anyway.  Just wanted to say I feel for you.  I think your interests sound very cute, by the way :)

Haven't you said in the past that you didn't want to date an average girl because you'd be bored and unfulfilled? How is that different to the "nice is not enough." line?

ardour said:
The 'nice is not enough' schtick is often just a shutdown tactic. Plenty of people who aren't decent in any sense of the word still find their way into relationships.

Oh, I know that all too well. I just can't stand these smug, condescending tumblr-feminist type articles that say "nice is not good enough", basically saying that you are weak and at fault for being unwilling or unable to be hegemonically masculine, and to give up on how you want your life to be and know your place in the social order, beneath the hegemonically masculine men, because their social skills, status, and power make up for a total lack of intelligence or character. I hate it. It really makes me feel like not only does high school never end, but people actually want it to be that way.

Paraiyar said:
Haven't you said in the past that you didn't want to date an average girl because you'd be bored and unfulfilled? How is that different to the "nice is not enough." line?

I have, and I do feel like it is not completely false. I am looking for more than niceness, and I feel like I need to cultivate more in me than niceness as well. But I still think niceness has value, and it angers me when people try to act like it is worthless and being "cool" is what really matters.

Also, in my experience, average girls, or average people for that matter, aren't necessarily nice. Lots of them are like others have said, cold, catty, social status climbers, primarily interested in booze and weed and little else.

Get off the internet man. Where are you reading all of this stuff? :O

You have too much free time. Be productive. Bitches love productivity bruh. Makes them work for and appreciate your time.

TheSkaFish said:
Tealeaf said:

Tealeaf said:

I don't personally care people are into those things, but those are the same interests and values everyone had when we weren't old enough to drink, vote... people grew old enough to move out, got their own jobs and money, and that's all they wanted?

I don't want to spend my free time stoned out of my mind, sitting on the couch, eating junk food and watching TV. I don't want to be too hungover to get through my day when my body's getting older (I want to be fit as I age, so I don't wind up severely obese and too tired and out of shape to move much, in a wheelchair, and slowly going senile in a care home like some extended family).

I smoked weed when I was 15-18. Then I stopped, because it cost a lot of money, it got me into trouble, and all I did was lay around with friends who only wanted to get high or drink. Drugs defined our time together. For some people weed becomes their identity.

Some people's whole life is about a job they hate and medicating themselves when they're not there with drugs, TV binging, or casual sex. It's way more depressing than being alone.

And my family has always had a problem with drugs. Not in my immediate family (siblings, parents, etc), just in our gene pool and in-laws. We have a lot of petty criminals, drug addicts, and dropouts. I don't want that to be all my life amounts to and to be talked about the way people talk about them. I want a decent job, productive hobbies, healthy friendships, healthy body and mind, and a relationship with someone who doesn't have a criminal record.

michael2 said:
Northern Lights said:
It's not that I find people uninteresting or lacking...it's the fact that 99% of people I've met are selfish and have no consideration for me or my feelings. I'm a means to an end and when they've used me up then they ghost away.

I'm starting to see people more clearly now and can recognize sometimes when a person is being fake. Before that, I believed that people mean what they say (just like me), but I have learned that I am a rarity.

Recently, I wished a former colleague Happy New Year and she's always harping on how I need to visit her and stay in touch. When I emailed her asking her for coffee, she read my message and never responded. It's been 2 months now.

A friend of 1 year has made a new group of friends after me, and she's making time for them now instead of me. I felt that we could've had a sincere friendship, but that ship has sailed.

I'm a very kind and caring person and all-in-all people just don't give a honeysuckle about me. I'm trying to adjust my attitude to not give a honeysuckle about anyone else because real people don't seem to exist where I am.

I do not need "fair-weather" friends...superficial friendships are easy to make. Those are what I call "acquaintances" and not friends. I find it truly sad to not feel like I "belong" to a community or a group of friends, but it is what it is. I know I'm a good person through and through and I am trying to learn to protect myself instead of constantly being drained by people around me. It's quite telling when I've significantly helped others and when I ask them of a very minuscule favour they disappear. They'll reappear in my life months after when they need something or have noone else.

I am surrounded by vampires and I really am starting to think that other people have nothing to offer and only want to take.

Correct me if Im wrong,  but I feel you are like me,  the way we view people is very different from the way others view people.  It can be summed up in these words by Will Rogers:  "I never met a man that I didnt like."  Thats me,  and Im thinking its you too.  However, it may come to a shock to you that this is not the case for maybe 95%+ of people.  They have very narrow views of what makes someone a possible friend, usually its based around who can do something for them or better their life.  Again, selfish reasons.  Thats where 'nice isnt good enough' spawned from.  Most people dont give a crap about you if they feel you cant improve their life in some way.  Its all about them, its never about them improving your life,  its all about them doing all the draining from you.

I agree with you...however, the only thing I disagree with you is your last sentence. There are many uncaring, selfish people surrounded by friends. I constantly hear my colleagues annoyingly complain about their friends who mistreat and drain them...yet they keep running back for more.

At my "nicest" and "best"...I can make a fair-weather friend that'll not reciprocate and ghost me in a matter of time.

I've had 10 years of going through the cycles of being very persistent in connecting with others. What happens after it becomes too overwhelming (from rejection, lack of recipriocity), I withdraw and take a break for quite some time until I feel better. Repeat and repeat. I'm tired of it. 10 years is a long time. I wish I could permanently just let go of this ideal notion of friendship. With how much everyone complains about their friends, maybe there is no such things as friends. It's all a facade and act that others put on to trick others to use them for their own self-interest.

kamya said:
Get off the internet man. Where are you reading all of this stuff? :O

You have too much free time. Be productive. Bitches love productivity bruh. Makes them work for and appreciate your time.

"Bitches love productivity bruh"

Thanks. This is the best quote this year, hands down!

Tealeaf said:
TheSkaFish said:
Tealeaf said:

Tealeaf said:

I don't personally care people are into those things, but those are the same interests and values everyone had when we weren't old enough to drink, vote... people grew old enough to move out, got their own jobs and money, and that's all they wanted?

I don't want to spend my free time stoned out of my mind, sitting on the couch, eating junk food and watching TV. I don't want to be too hungover to get through my day when my body's getting older (I want to be fit as I age, so I don't wind up severely obese and too tired and out of shape to move much, in a wheelchair, and slowly going senile in a care home like some extended family).

I smoked weed when I was 15-18. Then I stopped, because it cost a lot of money, it got me into trouble, and all I did was lay around with friends who only wanted to get high or drink. Drugs defined our time together. For some people weed becomes their identity.

Some people's whole life is about a job they hate and medicating themselves when they're not there with drugs, TV binging, or casual sex. It's way more depressing than being alone.

And my family has always had a problem with drugs. Not in my immediate family (siblings, parents, etc), just in our gene pool and in-laws. We have a lot of petty criminals, drug addicts, and dropouts. I don't want that to be all my life amounts to and to be talked about the way people talk about them. I want a decent job, productive hobbies, healthy friendships, healthy body and mind, and a relationship with someone who doesn't have a criminal record.
I personally think that weed is like a lot of things, in that in moderation it can enrich your life but too many people just don't have the self-control for that.

The thing that stopped me from taking up weed was seeing my degenerate father using it (and my IQ is suppressed enough as it is). Certainly don't recommend it for skafish - no good for motivation. Still should be decriminalized everywhere.

ardour said:
The thing that stopped me from taking up weed was seeing my degenerate father using it (and my IQ is suppressed enough as it is). Certainly don't recommend it for skafish  - no good for motivation. Still  should be decriminalized everywhere.

There are actually recent twin studies that concluded there is no proof of any link to heavy use of it and IQ decrease. I think some of the claims made about it are based more on fear mongering then any credible research. I have seen it have really negative impacts on the lives of people who overused it but I really think the same can be said for alcohol. Personally I think the latter is worse.

I'm glad I didn't really get into weed when I was younger though.

Paraiyar said:
ardour said:
The thing that stopped me from taking up weed was seeing my degenerate father using it (and my IQ is suppressed enough as it is). Certainly don't recommend it for skafish  - no good for motivation. Still  should be decriminalized everywhere.

There are actually recent twin studies that concluded there is no proof of any link to heavy use of it and IQ decrease. I think some of the claims made about it are based more on fear mongering then any credible research. I have seen it have really negative impacts on the lives of people who overused it but I really think the same can be said for alcohol. Personally I think the latter is worse.

I'm glad I didn't really get into weed when I was younger though.

The IQ claims are related to the "you're burning your brain cells" thing, and there are a million studies out there disproving that level of impact on brain structures caused by weed. Especially if the user started later in life, not in development stages.
But I agree with ardour, in Ska's case it would be very bad - especially because of his aversions and the fact that he'd probably hate himself for it.

Weed is so chill, I'd be more concerned seeing teens drinking than smoking a joint, for sure.

I tend to agree that it isn't a good idea to smoke it at a younger age but you have to question whether a lot of kids that do don't already come from backgrounds that predisposed them to an I.Q drop regardless. It's kind of difficult to establish whether correlation is also causation here.

The level of impact on cognitive function related to weed depends on the age of onset, how much and for how long it was used and also how they're using it, apparently dabbing is raising concerns (too much THC). There are very conflicting ideas as to if the damage is permanent - or if there are even substantial differences in users/non-users brains, especially those who are not heavy users and had exposure to weed later in life. But, everyone seems to agree that it's more dangerous for teenagers since they're also way more likely to develop dependence. Also, genetic factors are related to a predisposition for drug abuse and in most studies they don't mention if the participants use any other substance, which could probably be circumstancial/inconclusive but it's good to take into consideration.

I'm not going around distributing joints and telling teens not to drink, but I believe weed is way less dangerous if you account for the overall experience.

I can talk to almost anyone, but whether they would they want to talk to me is a different matter. Sometimes I use a mobility scooter, and that is when one becomes strangely invisible.

Latest posts

Back