Anyone experiencing loss of appetite, IBS like symptoms?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed34

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have gone through food-poisoning for three times and even before that I had symptoms of IBS although not as severe as they are now. First of all I am a slow eater and most of the people around me are annoyed by it and do not believe that I am not able to eat faster. Due to these habits of mine I was also a bit underweight compared to other males of the same age even while developing. Now I have closed the gap somewhat, but I still struggle with occasional extreme bloating, flatulence, pain in the abdomen and nausea. I have taken several SSRIs to alleviate these symptoms as they were of psychological nature as evidence by the lack of positive tests for common stomach/bowel diseases. Okay enough with the background now I will tell you the last two years of my life.

Approximately 1.5 years ago I was diagnosed with severe GERD(Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) together with antral gastritis after an endoscopy. I was literally not able to eat anything back then and it was really disastrous. I used medicines for GERD and gastritis which alleviated the symptoms and the disease was cured. I then got a girlfriend and when things were going really good between us(at least in my opinion :lol:) all the digestion symptoms disappeared and I was able to eat a lot and quickly. When she dumped me for 3 months I was a real mess in this regard. Even my butt was sweating while eating for some time and I especially have these issues while eating out.

Does anyone experience similar symptoms? How do you cope with them if this is the case? Loneliness, lack of a partner, and a stressful life together with an ambiguous future do not help either. I am doing lots of sports; sailing, gym, boxing etc. and live an active life. Most of the time I am really tired and I run out of energy during exercising which hints malnutrition due to my problems. You are probably going to suggest seeing an gastroenterologist and I already have many times; I also had many blood tests performed which indicated nothing was wrong.

Stress can trigger symptoms from the conditions you have, so it would make sense that you are better when you aren't stressed.

Just because blood tests indicate nothing is wrong doesn't always mean that nothing is wrong. My son just had a blood test done to check for an ulcer and while it came back negative, his doctor said that that doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have one, just that it's not bad enough to show up...or something like that, I don't recall exactly what she said, but she said he could still have one.

Now, aside from that, have you been taking OTC meds to control the GERD? I can tell you that those meds have long term side effects that aren't pleasant, which could be causing your intestinal issues. No, I'm not a doctor or a nurse or anything in the medical field and I'm not saying that's exactly what it is, just something it could possibly be depending on what you take, how much and how long. I'm just someone who does A LOT of research on things and GERD happens to be one of the things I've researched. Anyway, it's all out there if you want to look it up.
Also, you might want to look up home remedies for GERD. Sometimes they help more than drugs.

TheRealCallie said:
Stress can trigger symptoms from the conditions you have, so it would make sense that you are better when you aren't stressed.  

Just because blood tests indicate nothing is wrong doesn't always mean that nothing is wrong.  My son just had a blood test done to check for an ulcer and while it came back negative, his doctor said that that doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have one, just that it's not bad enough to show up...or something like that, I don't recall exactly what she said, but she said he could still have one.  

Now, aside from that, have you been taking OTC meds to control the GERD?  I can tell you that those meds have long term side effects that aren't pleasant, which could be causing your intestinal issues.  No, I'm not a doctor or a nurse or anything in the medical field and I'm not saying that's exactly what it is, just something it could possibly be depending on what you take, how much and how long.  I'm just someone who does A LOT of research on things and GERD happens to be one of the things I've researched.   Anyway, it's all out there if you want to look it up.
Also, you might want to look up home remedies for GERD.  Sometimes they help more than drugs.

GERD is more or less controlled now and I only take Gaviscon for the time being. I know that these drugs can have long term side-effects ranging from bone thinning, intestinal issues, calcium deficiency, sexual problems. I am like always stressed these days since I extended the duration of my study for some time, I am very lone and really long for a nice friend/partner.

What do you suggest about slow eating and not being able to eat big? This is a big problem for me due to my preoccupation with various sports. Although I have been going to the gym for quite some time I cannot develop much and I always get stuck 6 months after I start the gym.

Perplexed34 said:
GERD is more or less controlled now and I only take Gaviscon for the time being. I know that these drugs can have long term side-effects ranging from bone thinning, intestinal issues, calcium deficiency, sexual problems. I am like always stressed these days since I extended the duration of my study for some time, I am very lone and really long for a nice friend/partner.

What do you suggest about slow eating and not being able to eat big? This is a big problem for me due to my preoccupation with various sports. Although I have been going to the gym for quite some time I cannot develop much and I always get stuck 6 months after I start the gym.

If eating slow helps you I say you should definitely go for it.  Chances are, the people around you are eating too fast, so if they were to slow down a bit, there wouldn't be much of a problem.  I know several people that eat slow.  Can it be frustrating?  Yeah, when you're in a hurry, but so what?  Not everyone can swallow their food whole. 
If you can't eat big meals, just eat several smaller meals throughout the day.  Or, if you go to a restaurant, eat what you can of the meal and take the rest home with you to eat later.  A lot of places have different portions for lunch and dinner, so you could always specify you want lunch portions instead of dinner.  

Do what makes you feel comfortable and don't worry about what others think so much.  If they can't understand, then that's on them

Latest posts

Back