my turn

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayfarer

Reaction score
I'd like to talk with someone. I know I'm difficult but:
- I don't promise anything. I'm very moody and sometimes may answer right away.. sometimes day after.
- No talk about my life, at least in the beginning
- I like to talk about most things, except especially: religion, politics, sports, cars, other things I forgot LOL

Ideally I'd prefer PMs. I don't use skype nor facebook nor any other social hmm idk how to call them XD

I am a good listener, but bad at giving advice. I'm bad at starting conversations. Bad at small talk too.

So there you have it. Hoping in receiving some PMs, but also replies to this thread in case of constructive critique.

Hi WF...so let me get this straight - you are sometimes moody, may not answer right away, not too good with small talk, bad at starting conversations and bad at giving advice? *geez, like talking to a store mannequin* :)  

That's fine.  So, why can't we just talk to you through this thread?  Well, not we, but I will.  Unless you are steadfast with this only being used for constructive critique?  Just let me know.  Have a good day.

Wayfarer said:
I'd like to talk with someone. I know I'm difficult but:
- I don't promise anything. I'm very moody and sometimes may answer right away.. sometimes day after.
- No talk about my life, at least in the beginning
- I like to talk about most things, except especially: religion, politics, sports, cars, other things I forgot LOL

Ideally I'd prefer PMs. I don't use skype nor facebook nor any other social hmm idk how to call them XD

I am a good listener, but bad at giving advice. I'm bad at starting conversations. Bad at small talk too.

So there you have it. Hoping in receiving some PMs, but also replies to this thread in case of constructive critique.

Bold is mine.
Those are my 2 favorite topics so we probably wouldn't get along. ;)

But seriously, you might want to try taking the initiative to reach out to forum members that post something you like or members that you're interested in getting to know better. Have you participated in past Christmas card exchanges? I don't recall that you did last year. That's a nice way to get to know people IRL and no social media required.

SofiasMami said:
Bold is mine.
Those are my 2 favorite topics so we probably wouldn't get along. ;)

But seriously, you might want to try taking the initiative to reach out to forum members that post something you like or members that you're interested in getting to know better. Have you participated in past Christmas card exchanges? I don't recall that you did last year. That's a nice way to get to know people IRL and no social media required.

Uhm can I ask how participating in that helps in getting to know people? I mean it's basically sending cards to people I don't normally talk to, right?

beautiful loser said:
Hi WF...so let me get this straight - you are sometimes moody, may not answer right away, not too good with small talk, bad at starting conversations and bad at giving advice? *geez, like talking to a store mannequin* :)  

That's fine.  So, why can't we just talk to you through this thread?  Well, not we, but I will.  Unless you are steadfast with this only being used for constructive critique?  Just let me know.  Have a good day.

Sure you can use this thread too if you want.

I simply decided to list all my bad points first, so as not to make fake publicity or anything lol

Well, more or less like talking to a store mannequin, but sometimes I also say something :p

Have a good day :)

"Well, more or less like talking to a store mannequin, but sometimes I also say something  :p "  That is one thing I do like about you, WF, is your sense of humor, plus you do make fun of yourself and I really like that in a person.

Okay, I guess I will make this sort of "let's get to know WF."  So, I will provide questions so I can find out what makes my new buddy, WF, tick.  And if you don't like the question, then reply with "stupid question, moron...next." :)

Here we go....

Are you a gamer?  If so, what do you think of the Nintendo Switch and might you purchase one when they come out?

Your last meal on earth would be?

Do you believe in the paranormal/ghosts?  Ever seen a ghost or what you might have thought was a ghost? *and last Halloween doesn't count*

I think you are attending college, right?  Okay, what does WF want to be when he grows up?

The last good movie you watched?

Android or Iphone?

I have been a gamer. These last years I've almost stopped playing games. Favorite consoles are super nintendo and playstation. I usually almost exclusively play rpgs, but there are exceptions. I like old games lol I don't play multiplayer games.
I've just googled Nintendo Switch. Sounds like a cool idea actually, but I probably won't buy it, at least not right away.

Last meal on earth? Oh boy.. I love a lot of different types of food so I really can't decide. But I think something fish-based for sure.. and then there have to be desserts lol

Nop, don't believe in paranormal or ghosts, and never seen anything of the like either.

"what does WF want to be when he grows up?" this is like the hardest questions out of all.. because I still don't know, and I don't really like what I'm studying. But I have no idea what I want to do. As for.. growing up, I'm 26 (27 in November) so if possible, I'd like to get over with this studying. Anyways I don't know, I have no idea lol

Well.. let me think.. last movie I've watched was Deadpool, that although it's not a bad movie, is surely not what I'd recommend when someone asks me for a good movie so.. last very good movie I've watched was probably "The Shawshank Redemption".

Android without a second thought lol

Well then, give me a dessert to go with that last meal.  C'mon WF, give a few details about yourself so our community can get to know you better and want to send you Xmas cards :)  

And since you asked, thank you for asking :p,  my last meal would be steak, medium rare (ribeye or porterhouse) and sushi.  No dessert, need more room for sushi.  And hell, if I'm dying soon, I"m going all out and having Fugu sushi.

Yes, Shawshank was a good movie.  And if you haven't seen it, you must see the Family Guy version.  Oh here it is, I just happen to have it on hand.

[video=youtube]

And kudos for going with Android.  Who need a Crapple phone anyways? ;)

If you don't mind me asking, what is your major?  And if you don't like it, why not change?  And don't worry about not knowing what you want to do...a lot of us didn't know what we wanted till we were in our early 30's or we just happened to venture into what were are doing now and find some solace in it. You are still quite young.  So, what's up with school?

beautiful loser said:
Well then, give me a dessert to go with that last meal.  C'mon WF, give a few details about yourself so our community can get to know you better and want to send you Xmas cards :)  

And since you asked, thank you for asking :p,  my last meal would be steak, medium rare (ribeye or porterhouse) and sushi.  No dessert, need more room for sushi.  And hell, if I'm dying soon, I"m going all out and having Fugu sushi.

Yes, Shawshank was a good movie.  And if you haven't seen it, you must see the Family Guy version.  Oh here it is, I just happen to have it on hand.

[video=youtube]

And kudos for going with Android.  Who need a Crapple phone anyways? ;)

If you don't mind me asking, what is your major?  And if you don't like it, why not change?  And don't worry about not knowing what you want to do...a lot of us didn't know what we wanted till we were in our early 30's or we just happened to venture into what were are doing now and find some solace in it. You are still quite young.  So, what's up with school?

lol that vid was actually funny. :)
Whoops :( sorry for not having asked.

Well.. I really like dark chocolate but if we're talking desserts then... tiramisù, profiteroles, Black Forest Cake, Sachertorte are my favorites.

Oh I like (good) sushi too.

My major is computer engineering. I can't change because I've wasted too many years on it and now I've only got two exams left (plus the thesis). It would be a waste of time to change now, and even moreso a waste as I have no idea what else to choose. What's up with school is that I got depressed around three years ago, and because of bad experience with some people too, basically lost a year. Next year I still hadn't gotten back to a somewhat normal state and since then I've basically passed only two exams per year.

I'll clarify since the system here is different from the US. First of all, there's no minor. Then all we study is highly theoretic and there rarely are any real world applications. Each subject usually has only one exam at the end of the course about the whole subject. Some subjects sometimes have additional assignments to deliver throughout the course, but that's rare.

Basically my huge problem is my bad memory. I can even remember some formulas easier than most theoretic stuff, because at least there is something to understand behind them. But for example one of the exams I've left consists in learning by heart Arm Cortex-M3 architecture and ISA and other similar things that are basically only choices made by people. This means I can't use any tricks as I used to do with formulas (remember the basic ones, derive the most complicated ones from the simple ones through reasoning), but I need to actually learn things by heart.
In the end I managed to somehow adapt to this "new" way of studying, but I've lost valuable years while trying that. Sure, depression was there too, for one year (or one and a half) and even now I'm not at my best but eventually I should make it.

Also family doesn't want me to work before I graduate because they think I'll end up like my uncle that gave up studies for his job, and anyway they already lack any minimum amount of respect for myself. The thing is up until high school I used to be a model student, and now I'm basically receiving harsh criticism everyday and being reminded of my shortcomings. The sad thing is they are right: I messed up. But all I can do now is try to fix things, not much of anything else.

I think I wrote too much :\

Italian desserts are so good.

If it's ok for me to intrude... is the problems with your family mainly because of school or is it something else? You seem to be harsh on yourself for taking so much criticism from them and that's definitely not healthy. Do you know what triggered your depression? (If this is too personal you can answer me through pm, or ignore it haha)

Have you ever thought of something else you would like to study? Have you ever thought of certain jobs/careers that you would be happy doing?

First, you didn't say too much.  Again, the more honest you appear and the more you say the more you come across as genuine and most all of us like genuine.

Well, you've come this far with your studies, so I say complete the engineering degree and once you graduate, start looking into other fields that might intrigue you.  At least you'll have that degree to put on your resume.  Believe it or not, a lot of times, it's not "what you know", it's "who you know" that will get you through the door and into a career.

Plus, you might go through a few/several jobs till you find your niche, so don't put any added pressure on yourself.  Just worry about completing your studies and then worry about a career.  Sometimes, the job will find you.

I dated this girl who had several cousins on her mom's side of the family.  Many of them were college educated, even went to a few "prestigious" schools over here...Wake Forest, Duke and John Hopkins.  That meant a lot to the mother when it came time to brag about her kids.  Well, Bobby, the youngest, barely graduated Univ. of Florida.  He then started his own landscaping/lawn service.  He actually was doing quite well, but was the "eyesore" in the family because he didn't have a career that was something to brag about for the mother...but he was happy.  He liked working with his hands and being outdoors.  He wasn't cut for the 9-5 gig...his words.

So, my point is, don't worry about your career now. Take it one step at a time and who knows maybe you'll fall into something that you truly like, or you may meet someone who will open a door for you.

So what are your hobbies or what were some hobbies you had before school?

DarkSelene said:
Italian desserts are so good.

If it's ok for me to intrude... is the problems with your family mainly because of school or is it something else? You seem to be harsh on yourself for taking so much criticism from them and that's definitely not healthy. Do you know what triggered your depression? (If this is too personal you can answer me through pm, or ignore it haha)

Have you ever thought of something else you would like to study? Have you ever thought of certain jobs/careers that you would be happy doing?

Of course it's ok. Well, my problems with family more or less started because of school. Now it's a bit more complicated, as for example dad badmouths me when he doesn't feel well or is stressed.

I do know what triggered my depression but it was no single thing.
At the time I had started working on a "project" for a company with two other people: it was not payed work and I basically skipped all lectures in order to focus on it; it kept me busy from early in the morning to late in the evening. Thing which I was also happy to do.. things were going very bad in the apartment I was living in (with other 4 students).. and I guess by comparison the atmosphere there was while working on that was much better, especially considered I had no one else to talk to.
At the apartment my housemates would refuse to clean, would make fun of me, have parties, stealing food, not paying bills... I could go on and on.. in short it was hell to me. Some days I couldn't even sleep because of all the noise and I frequently used to eat ouside because of the condition of the house.
As I already mentioned, I was already skipping lectures, because I was spending all my time working on that project.. additionally I was also lying to my parents, which (with reason it seems) were against it from the beginning and telling them university was going fine. Also dad had some health problems at the time and I had decided not to make my parents worry at all. People who know me know how much I hate lying.. so every time I lied I felt extremely bad.
With my life being the way it was, I started eating badly too, I also started making frequent use of caffeinated drinks, and migraines were one every day, at least, for one reason or another.
The people I was attempting that project with were also slightly mean, the way people are when they try to set up a date for you while telling "with your looks, you can't really expect anything", and then maybe making fun of you when going all out together, in front of new people. Anyways..
But I had noone else to talk to.
I started experiencing panic attacks and being a bit agoraphobic, and spending sometimes the whole day in bed, doing nothing, especially in the week end. I started smoking a bit too (which I hated and did only to hurt myself because I believed myself at fault for being the way I was and the whole situation) and getting drunk (similar reasons).
I was feeling extremely bad in october and somehow went back home to my parents for two weeks, and had a checkup at the doctor who really.. just told me I needed to sleep more and eat better. I had thought I was ok but when I went back, bad things happened all at once.. more importantly, those two people fought and one of them left with all the code and made his own company and I failed every single exam. Situation in the apartment was reaching the impossible and I was basically depressed already, since before october, but hadn't realized yet, somehow.
With depression came also a deterioration in my mental capabilities as I found my memory and concentration fading and that of course contributed to make my depression worse, and it sort of became a vicious cycle.

Since then various thing have happened, like me joining ALL, asking advice, talking with people, trying to get better etc.. At the moment I wouldn't define myself depressed, however I sort of have a existential crysis as I don't know myself, to say it in simple terms, or at least not well enough.
I've also been working (and succeeded in good measure) in avoiding negative thoughts and been working on trying to motivate myself.
I have a hard time dealing with some emotions as most times I am not aware about what caused them or can't determine it by logical reasoning.

I hope I haven't messed up with the time references. Right.. then there was also me getting paranoid about some health problems.. lol

----

About careers I really don't know. Maybe I would like being a writer or a teacher, but in both cases I'm not suited to it.
I'm always thinking about what else I'd like to study actually XD I'd especially like languages, I think, if my bad memory allows me lol literature is also interesting. Cinema too.. it'd be really nice to make my own movie, but I usually prefer to enjoy existing content.

For a short while I was interested in game development too, but it's not my thing, and anyway I was considering it as a way to enhance the reading experience of a book, for example.

I'd like to draw too, but more as a hobby. Sculpting sounds fun, but I've never had the chance to try it. Same with woodcarving, knitting, and playing a musical instrument XD there's so many things that sound like fun that I've never been able to do and that in my present situation are hard to do.

I have a car license but not having driven one since I got it caused me to forget most of it. Now, ever since one bad experience with dad the day after I got the license, trying to drive puts me in a panic state, so..

But enough with the off topics XD I hope I've answered your questions :)

beautiful loser said:

So what are your hobbies or what were some hobbies you had before school?

Thanks for giving me hope.

Well the thing is.. before uni, I had almost nothing except reading books and playing computer games. I was a very sheltered kid and spent most of my days in the house.

With uni came variety, so I discovered music (yes I used not to care about it before, as my parents don't like the house to be noisy except for tv.. tv is ok D: ) , anime, manga, movies, chess and cooking (not allowed here haha, long story).

The thing is I wouldn't call these hobbies lol in the sense that it's just me looking at a screen :p Also chatting with people in the chatroom made me realize how many things I could do and I used to think as.. you know.. far? like in .. I couldn't even conceive me doing those other things, I can't really explain. So I realized I can really do anything I want, with effort and dedication and.. well hopefully a better accomodation in some cases and a job. :p

Wayfarer said:
"The thing is I wouldn't call these hobbies lol in the sense that it's just me looking at a screen :p "

Au contraire, mon frere.  It is a hobby if you are buying the media to watch it :)  Yeah, yeah, Netflix and all of that b.s.  But with me, it is a hobby because I purchase them online, look for them at yard sales and thrift stores and always looking to add to my massive collection.  I like the ability to hold the cases, look at the artwork, read liner notes and they are just a reach away if I ever want to watch it.  Same with books, I just can't do the Kindle thing unless I'm traveling.

You know, you mentioned liking cinema...why not purchase a video camera and make your own stuff?  Hell, put them on youtube and get some followers.  Don't laugh, look up Keyboard Cat. But that could be a good hobby to get into and it wouldn't call for a lot of money to have fun doing your own thing...camera, pc software and you are good to go.

That's good that you are learning that you can do things you want to do.  There's this quote from Henry Ford - "Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."  That has stuck with me for the longest and has pushed me to accomplish things I didn't think was possible..except understanding women..haha  I kid, I kid...sort of.  :D

Anyway, its sounds like you are onward to a better path.  I think you'll be fine.  

Adding some details.

I don't like to lie. So with my first post I wanted to make sure people knew I am a very fickle person, because I wouldn't want someone to talk to me being convinced we become best friends right away and maybe for life. I mean, it can surely happen, I'm not saying that, but experience has taught me that more often than not I end up hurting such people.
So I just wanted you to know "what" you were getting into.

What do I like in a person?
Good question. Well.. I'm not sure about it.
- I like people that are similar to me, but I also like people that are very different than I am (but probably not for a long time).
- I don't like seeing my shortcomings being reflected in the people I talk to, but it's ok still most of the times.
- I like people with goals in their lives, but often times they depress me because they make me think about my life and my lack of direction.
- I can relate to lazy people, because I am lazy too, but I admire hardworking people, or people with dedication (although most time I can't relate)
- I like having intellectual discussions and I usually don't like small talk. However as I am not a good talker, I may often use questions like "how was your day?" in the hope of starting a conversation.
- People with different ways of thinking intrigue me a lot, but only if our values or ideals are not too different. Otherwise they stay "research material" at most.
- I also like talking about book, movies, and similar things, although mostly in layman terms as I'm not too informed about those fields. I won't shy from a more detailed conversation if I can understand, though.
I'll add something when it comes to mind.

Oh additionally I like also crosswords and logic games. I like puns, but dislike most comedy, and absolutely find sexual related jokes very cheap and of bad taste. For similar reason, I dislike vulgarity for the sake of it, but can stand it most of the times, unless it's a habit. I'm bad at realizing people are joking most of the times (from real experiences in chat room XD)

I don't believe in the paranormal, ghosts nor in conspiracy theories. I don't like information that has not reliable sources. In case I did say something wrong I'll admit it right away.

If I have a problem or an issue with a person I assume we will be able to calmly talk about it, because this is what I'd expect from an adult person. While I understand some people tend to "close" and not want to talk in these cases, it's a thing I can stand but I don't like it. I also don't like ambiguity (outside of puns and jokes).

I like silences but I know some people are uncomfortable with them.

Yes, honey, you did answer all of my questions. Thank you for opening up.

"dad badmouths me when he doesn't feel well or is stressed" I know how that's like.

After reading everything you wrote about what triggered your depression, I can only apologize in the name of the world and humans in general. People suck, most of the times, and you've had your fair share of ******** in your life. Seriously, "the way people are when they try to set up a date for you while telling 'with your looks, you can't really expect anything'", what is wrong with the world?!
I'm really sorry that you had to go through all of that, I know what you mean when you say that the depression affects your mental capabilities. My concentration got really affected too, to the point I couldn't concentrate in conversations, reading, even watching movies or something that would distract me from all of it... so I managed to develop a very weird talent hahaha to sleep as much as I could. It got to a point where I would get up for 30 min just to take a shower and snack, then sleep full weekends. Today I'm in much better shape, but as bad things happen I always get freaked out that I'll go back to that and it's what makes me anxious and paranoid most of the time.

Now, I have to disagree with you on the "I don't know myself" stuff, because in the next post you give this detailed explanation of your likes and dislikes, your behaviour...
Feelings are hard to explain and even harder to find the source. It takes a lot of self reflection to be able to do that, and your opinion of it can always be biased because you're the one feeling... so it doesn't mean you can exactly be rational about it. Don't worry too much about that.
I'm glad you're trying things for yourself, if you don't feel particularly depressed anymore it makes me think that you feel a little stronger and avoiding negative thoughts is a very good step. Trying to feel motivated is hard, I know it's easy to list the things you would wish to do, but always harder to start. Even if it's not really hard or expensive. But that doesn't mean you can't do it.
We talked about learning languages and it's so much easier with the internet, we have this universal tool that makes us get in contact with anyone in the world, and even it you don't feel like asking someone to help you, there's always YouTube. Beautiful loser also had a great idea, these days even phones have amazing cameras that you can start with to make some videos, films and stuff.

Glad you can relate to lazy people, I should be used as the definition of the word. haha
I'm going to use this to describe myself from now on:
"- I like having intellectual discussions and I usually don't like small talk. However as I am not a good talker, I may often use questions like "how was your day?" in the hope of starting a conversation.
- People with different ways of thinking intrigue me a lot, but only if our values or ideals are not too different. Otherwise they stay "research material" at most."
Some conspiracy theories have reliable sources! haha Are you religious or spiritual in any way?

This makes me admire you: "If I have a problem or an issue with a person I assume we will be able to calmly talk about it, because this is what I'd expect from an adult person."
Not everyone is willing to talk about their issues or hear what others have to say about them (wich might not always be good things), but being open to dialogue is very mature and makes everything easier when it's time to figure out how to resolve those issues.

Oh, and I like silences too.

Thank you both for your encouragement.

Yeah lol I used to sleep a lot too XD And yes, I'm always worried or reverting back to that state.

Detailed explanation.. well.. I did try to think about things as much rationally as possible. I am well aware I may be biased, and I probably am and I actually wish someone would tell me if they notice contradictions with the way I think I am and the way they perceive I am.

I have changed my mind about religion/spirituality many times over the years. The most accurate thing to say at the moment is probably that I am agnostic. Which I realize isn't saying much. However I do think there's nothing after death, so I guess you can say I have a very materialistic view of it. Also there's no meaning in our life except the one we create for ourselves. Notice that these two opinions of mine don't necessarily clash in any way with what I have said previously. Of course I am open to discussion (although I said I hate talking about religion/spirituality) and possibly to updating my views, maybe.

Wayfarer said:
Thank you both for your encouragement.

Yeah lol I used to sleep a lot too XD And yes, I'm always worried or reverting back to that state.

Detailed explanation.. well.. I did try to think about things as much rationally as possible. I am well aware I may be biased, and I probably am and I actually wish someone would tell me if they notice contradictions with the way I think I am and the way they perceive I am.

I have changed my mind about religion/spirituality many times over the years. The most accurate thing to say at the moment is probably that I am agnostic. Which I realize isn't saying much. However I do think there's nothing after death, so I guess you can say I have a very materialistic view of it. Also there's no meaning in our life except the one we create for ourselves. Notice that these two opinions of mine don't necessarily clash in any way with what I have said previously. Of course I am open to discussion (although I said I hate talking about religion/spirituality) and possibly to updating my views, maybe.

You did explained pretty well, if there are any contradictions I'm sure you would be able to listen to it and reflect on it. I can't really say, because I don't know you that well, but if I ever notice something I'll say. 

You don't have to say it twice, I really was just curious about the "paranormal, ghosts" thing. I can relate to some of your views, and I also consider myself agnostic.

Actually, WF, you aren't much different than you think.  A lot of what you like in a person is very similar to me, and I"m sure, quite a few of the others on this site.

When it comes to religion I'm an atheist.  I can't believe in something I can't see.  "oh, but it's called faith"...yeah, okay.  I'd like to think there is an afterlife, if it means I can come in contact with all the pets I once loved, but again, I don't believe it. But if there is, cool I have something to surprise me when I'm six feet under.  I'm just rambling.

Like you, if I'm having an issue with someone I want to talk it out.  If we come to an agreement and apologies are exchanged, great.  If we agree to disagree, then we generally weren't friends to begin with.  Now let me explain - out all of the friends I've had, and I've had A LOT we always came to an agreement and apologized and thing were kosher.  The ones that agreed to disagree, were usually coworkers, not very close and we would then not really have much small talk after that.  

But, when it comes to friends, yes there should be times when you can air differences and then all is good between the two of you...sometimes, it's a stupid misunderstanding.  Those suck because the two of you are mad at each other for, really, no reason...lol  On very rare occasions, sometimes it doesn't work but oh well - just my experience.

And you are welcome for the encouragement.  If you need to vent, Selene and I are here to listen.

Latest posts

Back