Living in a different time

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterLonely

Reaction score
Have you ever felt like you would have done better in a different time and/or age?

I bring this up because lately i've grown almost hatefull of social media! what is ment to be a tool to connect people is just making it harder for me to connect to actual people.

I was at a café not to long ago and looking to strike up a conversation, I had just finished a bike trek of 40km on my mountainbike and taking a breather and a drink, but all around me everyone was obsessed with their phones, and they never seem to be put down long enough for me to actually get through, I'd make some smalltalk about the weather, about what a nice little terras we're on (that takes actual effort for me by the way), and pling!!! facebook or whatsapp wants some attention. and you just sit there feeling stupid and after a minute orso even intrusive! So i move back to me seat with my drink and forget about it.

I don't get the world today, i'd like to have been a teenager in the 70's I think i would have fit in better, somehow it feels like things were easier back then without mobiles and internet.

How about you ?

I feel old now! I was a teenager before mobile phones. Things weren't any easier then, it was just different. And you had to memorise so many phone numbers and make sure you had change to use the phone box someone had inevitably used as a toilet the night before.
Most of the conversations I strike up with strangers these days are with the elderly. I don't mind that, you never know if you are going to be the only human conversation they will have that week. And elderly people have so much life to talk about. But that's just me!

I'd want to go back even further and go larking about in medieval times.

nibbysaurus said:

I'd be up for that, ofcourse i'd probably already be dead by now from dysentery, typhoid fever, the common cold or ... old age ;)

MisterLonely said:
nibbysaurus said:

I'd be up for that, ofcourse i'd probably already be dead by now from dysentery, typhoid fever, the common cold or ... old age ;)

Yeah, probably the best time to live in would be the future, of course hoping we manage to improve not only technologically but also culturally.

I think maybe i'd like to be in the early 1900s - early enough to not have to deal with all the techno crap we have today but not before medicine was improving and health problems could be treated.
Also not many cars around so people would meet and interact while going about their daily business.

I like the time we live in now, with the technology, appliances, transport and medicines. But I would like to be in a time where people had more respect for each other, have same luxuries as above but with less people.

The grass is always greener, so I guess I'm happiest to be where I am right now.

MisterLonely said:
Have you ever felt like you would have done better in a different time and/or age?

I bring this up because lately i've grown almost hatefull of social media! what is ment to be a tool to connect people is just making it harder for me to connect to actual people.

I think of this a lot. I do feel like I belong to another time and  not this one, one when social interactions are so distorted by technological devices.

The other possibility is that I am just antisocial and I hate people :D

It would be so cool to live in Victorian era or in ancient Egypt/Greece or then very far away in the future with all the spaceships and intergalactic travel etc. o.o

MisterLonely said:

I was at a café not to long ago and looking to strike up a conversation, I had just finished a bike trek of 40km on my mountainbike and taking a breather and a drink, but all around me everyone was obsessed with their phones, and they never seem to be put down long enough for me to actually get through, I'd make some smalltalk about the weather, about what a nice little terras we're on (that takes actual effort for me by the way), and pling!!! facebook or whatsapp wants some attention. and you just sit there feeling stupid and after a minute orso even intrusive! So i move back to me seat with my drink and forget about it.

I don't get the world today, i'd like to have been a teenager in the 70's I think i would have fit in better, somehow it feels like things were easier back then without mobiles and internet.

How about you ?

I've got a much longer response brewing in my head, but for now, I just wanna say ... YES, ABSOLUTELY !!! I agree with you, 100%.

Einstein was really ahead of his time in many aspects, but he said it best.

251F794A00000578-0-image-a-1_1422408964508.jpg

The problem is that people use social media as a cheap form of entertainment but it's making people lazy. It's far easier to gorp at your phone than to actually think of conversational material with someone, and because it's 'socially acceptable' most people do it. Striking up a conversation with a stranger is now less common, people who do this tend to be judged as 'weirdos', old fashioned, or that you want something from them, but of course not EVERONE thinks this. It seems to me that people have lost sight to what's important, I wouldn't like to move to another time but thinking back to how things were in a different era I'd definitely take the social aspect of it over the current.

I've never really been fan of social media despite using it myself, it seems to me that MOST users project a person they want to be rather than the person they are. And mostly it's bullshit, it creates problems for people to buy into this and makes them feel bad about their own life feeling like it's dull or boring compared to that indivudual. It always makes me laugh of disbelief when you see someone post something about being in a certain place enjoying a certain thing than to actually have a conversation about it with anyone there, does anyone else find this crazy?

We live in a weird time.

I completely agree with everything you wrote 9006 - wise observation.
Wonder why loneliness is so prevalent these days, people don't know how to have a conversation.

9006 said:

How did I miss that Einstein quote ?! Gold. It is *spot on*. And so is whatever else you said.

Technology is probably the #1 reason we are forced to come to a site called "A Lonely Life". It is the #1 cause of loneliness, if you ask me.

My notion is simple - When you're with someone, give them 100% of your attention. Be "present" (Eckhart Tolle). The best gift you can give a human being is your complete and undivided attention. If that's not possible, be somewhere else where it is possible.

Just yesterday, a friend of mine came over. I love her to pieces, but she is SO obsessed with her phone and with texting several people, that she doesn't care how rude it is or hurtful. She will sit on my couch while we're watching a movie, and I'll be lucky to have an instant when I look over and NOT see the phone in her hands and her eyes or fingers glued to it. We have had several heated arguments over this issue. She walked out on me yesterday, because of just such an argument.

Now, here's something few people know and most I tell look at me with a mixture of fear and ridicule. The Unabomber, aka Ted Kazynski (spelling ?) ... his major gripe with the world was the rate at which technology was advancing, because of the social impact of it. Now, I'm not saying let's mail pipe bombs to tech advocates. But, I agree with his gripe, 100%.

Somnambulist said:
9006 said:

How did I miss that Einstein quote ?! Gold. It is *spot on*. And so is whatever else you said.

Technology is probably the #1 reason we are forced to come to a site called "A Lonely Life". It is the #1 cause of loneliness, if you ask me.

My notion is simple - When you're with someone, give them 100% of your attention. Be "present" (Eckhart Tolle). The best gift you can give a human being is your complete and undivided attention. If that's not possible, be somewhere else where it is possible.

Just yesterday, a friend of mine came over. I love her to pieces, but she is SO obsessed with her phone and with texting several people, that she doesn't care how rude it is or hurtful. She will sit on my couch while we're watching a movie, and I'll be lucky to have an instant when I look over and NOT see the phone in her hands and her eyes or fingers glued to it. We have had several heated arguments over this issue. She walked out on me yesterday, because of just such an argument.

Now, here's something few people know and most I tell look at me with a mixture of fear and ridicule. The Unabomber, aka Ted Kazynski (spelling ?) ... his major gripe with the world was the rate at which technology was advancing, because of the social impact of it. Now, I'm not saying let's mail pipe bombs to tech advocates. But, I agree with his gripe, 100%.

I hope i'm not going too far off topic, but there has been a lot in the UK press recently about the huge increase in youth mental health problems and basically we're not coping with it.  Do you think the increase in technology could be a factor?

Jently said:
Somnambulist said:
9006 said:

I hope i'm not going too far off topic, but there has been a lot in the UK press recently about the huge increase in youth mental health problems and basically we're not coping with it.  Do you think the increase in technology could be a factor?

Absolutely unequivocally, YES ! Tech is not a factor, it is the root cause.

Latest posts

Back