Reading into a craigslist reply. Am i being too sensitive?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Restless soul

Reaction score
Ok, so right off you know this is a bit negative according to me. Most of the things that spur a post
Here tend to have me feeling bad.  So  this is it.
I reply to an ad on cl. Which I do often as well as post ads. That is just something we lonley guys do.
So this time I saw an ad. She wanted a photo, and just how things have been going latlately on cl. My better judgment told me not to send this person a photo. But I did a anyway.  And like within seconds I get a reply like this..

" sorry not my type, I like femmine looking guys I guess I should have posted that in my ad"

I mean how stupid. Almost like she had a prescripted reply. And wtf is a femmine looking man. Kind messed with me, not because of her wanting a femmine looking man ( whatever that is ) forget my already poor-selfimage poor self esteem. I think I am in shape slim. And was told I look younger than I am 37.
All that aside. Here is another Question. If anyone here got a reply like that. Or a "not my type " would you think that person is going out of their way to be hurtful, bitchy --Because don't get me wrong. I being a sensitive person. Have received photos from people who were not my type And I always find the best route, on cl. Or any other dating site. Would be no response. Because to me saying not my type just sounds outright rude. Am I wrong? Or am I being to sensitive and critical. I can't imagine anyone, liking a reply if I wrote " not my type" I would feel i am being an ass

Oh, and just to ad to tie this into the does online dating sites work thread.  Well in my opinion. Tinder and apps based on tinder where you just swipe and you have a better feeling when you match. Which is why I like that style and I think it's the best thing to happen for online/app dating. Where you avoid instances like I stated above. I think I have a point. So Any thoughts?

Everyone has their preferences, so I see nothing wrong with her reply. I think you are reading too much into it. She took the time to explain what she was looking for, that's not mean or hurtful or bitchy.

That wouldn't personally bother me either. Perhaps if it was "sorry not my type" and nothing else it might make me insecure about my appearance, but she also explained why you're not her type.

Right..but my whole approach and experience more often than not with that style of interaction. Is treat others and talk to others how you would want to be treated. And writing "not my type" and maybe it's just me due to insecurities. But writing not my type almost feels like the person is going out of thier way, going the extra mile to knock you down a peg, to make them feel better about themselves? No?

Perhaps try to see the good side of it - if you're a mans man type of guy, she at least confirmed you are one by appearance i.e. not feminine.

Yeah. That threw me a bit. Had to Google femmine looking men. But still odd. hard to say..it could be open
For interpretation. Her opinion and all

Bubble, I think you said you are a female in another thread? Anyway, So you don't take it as a nagative reply?
Ok. That is good. But like me. Would you rather no reply?
Which is more common less hurtful, just as to the point.
For me.

I'd rather that reply than none. I'd find no reply more rude to be honest, but we're all different.

Right. Fair enough. Wasn't the first time I got that style reply. And each time it always annoyed me. But here we have now two women who chimed in. I hope some guys can share thier experiences and take on what I said

I just cannot see myself responding to somone like that.
We are talking online here. Where there is no reason to be that direct. No reason to give reasons why. Not like you met the person. Not like the person asked. Not like the person is stalking you. So to me. No reply does the trick.

My point is that I get a no reply more often than not.
So on the rare occasion when someone does reply with. "Not my type" it just seems more deliberate more intended to be mean. That is what I get from it.

I think you are reading too much into it. Some women do like more "feminine" men, who may have softer facial features, voices, longer hair, etc. It has nothing to do with calling someone ugly.

Nothing women can do in these situations really. If they don't reply, men complain that they should at least be respectful enough to send a quick response and reason. If women do so, then they get angry reactions. Try not to read into it, a rejection is a rejection.

I agree with Tealeaf... Don't read to much into it and move on there are always other fish.

Latest posts

Back