Needy for life - no chance of a healthy relationship

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does any out there suffer from chronic neediness? Though I haven't plumbed the depths with a therapist (they seem mostly focused on the present), my theory is that my emotional needs were consistently neglected as a child. The end result is that I feel a perpetual emptiness inside and I feel remarkable anxiety whenever I get close to somebody who I really admire and feel a connection to. Are they going to leave me? Are they going to reject me? I have been through this cycle multiple times where my anxiety effectively sabotages a good relationship and pushes the person away. I don't play the victim and imagine that they are doing me wrong. I see very clearly that it is my own behaviors that repel them. But no matter how hard I try to fill that void through my own efforts - through reading, exercise, good diet, cultivating my hobbies and interests - the end result is the same. I still feel deficient inside, that I am intrinsically lacking something, and that I will never be a whole person. By extension, this means that I am fated to never have a healthy relationship. This tendency has resulted in a state of social isolation that has been going on for about eight years now. 

Does anybody else feel something similar?

I have but ive kind of developped a independacy toward me not needing anybody so i don't expect much from anyone. Tha way i can't get hurt plus i told myself if they leave it's because they didin't apprieted me. i accept them as there are and i don't reflect much on why just that it wasin't meant to be and i move on. It's better to see the world as positve.

Hi, I have always felt exactly the way you described, and you described it very well !

After many years of sabotaging relationships, I've come to the conclusion that I (like you) am simply someone whose appetite and need for intimacy is higher than that of the average person. And, that is, no doubt, going to scare people away.

I think one mistake people like us make is trying to become "less needy" ... that's not going to work, because the underlying reasons for it cannot be changed ! We need to accept that we need a lot of love and intimacy and affection. The tricky part then is ... when we're in a relationship, how to rein in those feelings so as not to scare the other away ! How to do that ? I have no friggin clue !!! Hence, I'm here on this site typing away.

But, my point is ... accept that you're needy, for reasons that are complex and numerous, and that there's nothing wrong with being needy ! It doesn't make you defective or inferior, just different. Start there.

There is a HUGE cultural prejudice against "needy" or "clingy" people (same with "mental illness") ... we are seen as losers or as inferior people, when, often, we're of above average intelligence and maturity. We're labeled and shunned. We need to understand ... the majority is always scared of the minority ... we are different, we are the minority. We will always be messed over by the majority. Always have, always will.

Yeah me too. You could be describing me, L_i_n....I'm in a relationship now with somebody who's probably too good for me and I have to hold my neediness in check. I have to choose to ignore my expectation that she's going to reject me. I have to deliberately shut my mouth when I'm tempted to ask her for reassurance that she's not going to terminate the relationship. It's really quite pathetic. But I suppose it's better to keep the whining puppy in my own head and not let it act out. Maybe some day I'll outgrow the poor self esteem. In the meantime I try to outwardly behave with some semblance of dignity, knowing that I'm kind of a fake.

constant stranger said:
Yeah me too.  You could be describing me, L_i_n....I'm in a relationship now with somebody who's probably too good for me and I have to hold my neediness in check.  I have to choose to ignore my expectation that she's going to reject me.  I have to deliberately shut my mouth when I'm tempted to ask her for reassurance that she's not going to terminate the relationship.  It's really quite pathetic.  But I suppose it's better to keep the whining puppy in my own head and not let it act out.  Maybe some day I'll outgrow the poor self esteem.  In the meantime I try to outwardly behave with some semblance of dignity, knowing that I'm kind of a fake.

Try really hard not to view yourself as unworthy of her. You aren't.

van0994 said:
I have but ive kind of developped a independacy toward me not needing anybody so i don't expect much from anyone. Tha way i can't get hurt plus i told myself if they leave it's because they didin't apprieted me. i accept them as there are and i don't reflect much on why just that it wasin't meant to be and i move on. It's better to see the world as positve.

This is kinda what I do, but it's a little too easy to say and hard to do. Also, doing that, I just ended up treating people like honeysuckle because I thought if then don't stick around is because they don't care enough about me, when I was the one being shitty until I could say "see? You left me!"

Paraiyar said:
constant stranger said:
Yeah me too.  You could be describing me, L_i_n....I'm in a relationship now with somebody who's probably too good for me and I have to hold my neediness in check.  I have to choose to ignore my expectation that she's going to reject me.  I have to deliberately shut my mouth when I'm tempted to ask her for reassurance that she's not going to terminate the relationship.  It's really quite pathetic.  But I suppose it's better to keep the whining puppy in my own head and not let it act out.  Maybe some day I'll outgrow the poor self esteem.  In the meantime I try to outwardly behave with some semblance of dignity, knowing that I'm kind of a fake.

Hey thanks man! :cool:

Somnambulist said:
Hi, I have always felt exactly the way you described, and you described it very well !

After many years of sabotaging relationships, I've come to the conclusion that I (like you) am simply someone whose appetite and need for intimacy is higher than that of the average person. And, that is, no doubt, going to scare people away.

I think one mistake people like us make is trying to become "less needy" ... that's not going to work, because the underlying reasons for it cannot be changed ! We need to accept that we need a lot of love and intimacy and affection. The tricky part then is ... when we're in a relationship, how to rein in those feelings so as not to scare the other away ! How to do that ? I have no friggin clue !!! Hence, I'm here on this site typing away.

But, my point is ... accept that you're needy, for reasons that are complex and numerous, and that there's nothing wrong with being needy ! It doesn't make you defective or inferior, just different. Start there.

There is a HUGE cultural prejudice against "needy" or "clingy" people (same with "mental illness") ... we are seen as losers or as inferior people, when, often, we're of above average intelligence and maturity. We're labeled and shunned. We need to understand ... the majority is always scared of the minority ... we are different, we are the minority. We will always be messed over by the majority. Always have, always will.

I agree 100% as needy being a negative. Having a negattive connotation.

Somnambulist said:

What a lovely post. I PM'd the OP with the same basic message, as I too am emotionally needy. So is my husband, and we love that about one another. The world is too hung up on 'independence' nowadays which, at heart, some of us just aren't and have no desire to be. We shouldn't be told we're wrong for that.

Restless soul said:

Bubblebeam said:
What a lovely post. I PM'd the OP with the same basic message, as I too am emotionally needy. So is my husband, and we love that about one another. The world is too hung up on 'independence' nowadays which, at heart, some of us just aren't and have no desire to be. We shouldn't be told we're wrong for that.

Thank you guys ! At least someone agrees with me :)

Bubblebeam, I truly envy you for you were two needy people who found each other ! Rare. The world is just blind ... people have all their priorities backwards. They don't have a ******* clue what really matters in life.

But, you see, ignorance will prevail. So, we have to find a way to tolerate that and yet find like-minded people ... not easy.

Somnambulist said:
Restless soul said:

Bubblebeam said:

Thank you guys ! At least someone agrees with me :)

Bubblebeam, I truly envy you for you were two needy people who found each other ! Rare. The world is just blind ... people have all their priorities backwards. They don't have a ******* clue what really matters in life.

But, you see, ignorance will prevail. So, we have to find a way to tolerate that and yet find like-minded people ... not easy.

Oh, believe me, I know how blessed I am. To find somebody that loves you because you are so devoted to them and not in spite of it is an incredibly rare thing to find these days. I may as well have won the lottery.

It doesn't not come with its own risks or 'downsides' for lack of a better word, but I certainly see equal if not worse flaws in the other end of the spectrum. That is, holding your partner away with a 10 foot pole in the name of remaining independent. I've only had two relationships and both were very close/devoted, but I can't imagine how lonely a relationship must be if you're always having to be so cautious. Surely, your partner should be your best friend who you confide in, not someone you must tippy toe around and hide your emotions from.

Well this thread has given me a lot to think about. Id been convinced something was wrong with my from what some of my friends have said to me. Nice to know im not alone.

Bubblebeam said:
To find somebody that loves you because you are so devoted to them and not in spite of it is an incredibly rare thing to find these days.

I certainly see equal if not worse flaws in the other end of the spectrum. That is, holding your partner away with a 10 foot pole in the name of remaining independent.

I can't imagine how lonely a relationship must be if you're always having to be so cautious.

Surely, your partner should be your best friend who you confide in, not someone you must tippy toe around and hide your emotions from.

^ Wow, exactly this !!! Words right out of my mouth :)

Not only in the name of "independence" and "space", but striving to proving that to the world, as if there is a Nobel Prize for it. They want to be seen as "strong", when, in fact, it screams insecurity (fear of closeness). Ironic much ? :rolleyes:

Knowing that I'm not alone in my thinking this way, my loneliness just dissolved about 1%.

kamya said:
Well this thread has given me a lot to think about. Id been convinced something was wrong with my from what some of my friends have said to me. Nice to know im not alone.

I'm curious to know what your friends said to you. Chances are, it stemmed from ignorance and they were pitifully wrong.

I feel the same way sometimes.  It's not often I meet a girl I like, so when I do, I become needy by default because I care about what happens, I want things to go a certain way, I have a preference.  I want the ones I want to see me as a winner.  I still don't understand fully why it's so bad, only that people, especially women hate neediness more than most other bad traits and the world in general is becoming increasingly intolerant of it, so I am trying to adapt rather than fight it, in the interests of my situation.  I think it's a sign of the times - as the world becomes more competitive, people become even more quick to write others off as weak.  I have to practice being less eager to talk to them and please them, and let them "win" me over even if they have already won me from the start.  It seems that's the problem, they feel there's no challenge.  I really don't get that and it sounds like game-playing to me, but that's the way most people are wired, I suppose.  It really frustrates me that most people are still really into social status, and seem to believe that being cold and pretending not to care is a sign of high status while warmth is a sign of weakness and low rank. I think I come off as overly eager to get into a relationship to most people, because they haven't been single all their adult lives like I have.  They don't understand how I feel or why I am eager because they haven't been single for as long as me or that it hasn't been easy for me to get into a relationship.  Of course I'm eager to have a relationship since I've had to wait so much longer than most and because it's so rare that I meet someone I find attractive.  I really don't think I'm that needy, I just never get a chance to demonstrate that I can be independent too.  I know I can be, I don't want to be attached to a woman 24/7 any more than she wants to be attached to me all the time.  I have my own interests and goals and a life of my own.  If I come off as having a higher appetite for intimacy, it's only because I've been starved of it.  But I guess it's easier to adjust myself than it is to fight the system, the way people are wired.  I'll have to be more mindful and downplay my eagerness to have a relationship.

I get that neediness is weakness, and a lot of people are turned off by weakness, but you would think that if you see someone struggling you'd want to help them with it.  And I don't see the problem with wanting things to go a certain way.  It just means you know what you want, you care what you get, you don't want just anything.  

I think another problem I have is that most people are more wise to the ways of the world than I am. Because of my lack of knowledge and experience about how the world works, these girls think they'll have to take care of me. The thing is though, part of why I like these girls is that I feel I could learn from them. But, I don't think I would be like a baby that they need to care for. I just haven't figured out a way to show them that just because they are more worldly than me and that I don't know as much as them doesn't mean I can't be independent too.

Hobbies and interests and trying to do things myself doesn't really help me, because it does nothing to alleviate the weariness I feel from being single all my life.  Cultivating a full life is important, but that's just it - when I learn and progress or discover something new and exciting, I want to share it with those I want, and grow a connection because they are into some of the same things and even though you're not supposed to, I do want to prove that I can be worth their while.  And the longer I am single, it only reinforces the feeling that I am just intrinsically lacking, as you were mentioning yourself.  Like it's something I can't fix, because I'm just fundamentally inferior.

Neediness comes on multiple levels. I think it's fine to want to spend a lot of time together and be eager to talk to someone, or even a little scared to lose someone. There shouldn't be a "limit" to how fast you can respond or how much you can talk to someone. People shouldn't have to be afraid of wanting to be close or caring about people they meet, or getting lonely if they haven't seen someone for a while. Preferences like that should be set by the individuals and not by society. I tend to want to spend a lot of time talking throughout the day and to be able to share a lot.

But neediness in terms of hating yourself and needing someone to counter that is a problem. Self-loathing is not a preference. It's a fear that they haven't settled, so someone else has to settle it and it tends to cause disaster in relationships if a significant other doesn't respond fast enough, or can't respond while at work, or other everyday things in my experience. I've had my share of experiences where I've gotten in trouble in relationships for things I can't even control, or for being too tired after working long holiday shifts at retail stores.

If someone is deeply unhappy with themselves then I think it's more about ingrained beliefs and patterns and not about things like exercise or hobbies. Like depression or social anxiety finding things to occupy yourself can help somewhat, but is only a band-aid if you don't dig deeper. A void left by a troubled childhood can't be filled by things.

Paraiyar said:
constant stranger said:

"Maybe some day I'll outgrow the poor self esteem." 

I believe it to be a self confidence issue.  In a relationship with someone who is too good for you?   Dont you feel  deserve only the best?   No one is..."too good" for you.  

Look deeper...why do you have poor self esteem?  If you can find what you dont like about yourself...perhaps you can do something to change it????

TheSkaFish said:
I feel the same way sometimes.  It's not often I meet a girl I like, so when I do, I become needy by default because I care about what happens, I want things to go a certain way, I have a preference.  I want the ones I want to see me as a winner.  I still don't understand fully why it's so bad, only that people, especially women hate neediness more than most other bad traits and the world in general is becoming increasingly intolerant of it, so I am trying to adapt rather than fight it, in the interests of my situation.  I think it's a sign of the times - as the world becomes more competitive, people become even more quick to write others off as weak.  I have to practice being less eager to talk to them and please them, and let them "win" me over even if they have already won me from the start.  It seems that's the problem, they feel there's no challenge.  I really don't get that and it sounds like game-playing to me, but that's the way most people are wired, I suppose.  It really frustrates me that most people are still really into social status, and seem to believe that being cold and pretending not to care is a sign of high status while warmth is a sign of weakness and low rank.  I think I come off as overly eager to get into a relationship to most people, because they haven't been single all their adult lives like I have.  They don't understand how I feel or why I am eager because they haven't been single for as long as me or that it hasn't been easy for me to get into a relationship.  Of course I'm eager to have a relationship since I've had to wait so much longer than most and because it's so rare that I meet someone I find attractive.  I really don't think I'm that needy, I just never get a chance to demonstrate that I can be independent too.  I know I can be, I don't want to be attached to a woman 24/7 any more than she wants to be attached to me all the time.  I have my own interests and goals and a life of my own.  If I come off as having a higher appetite for intimacy, it's only because I've been starved of it.  But I guess it's easier to adjust myself than it is to fight the system, the way people are wired.  I'll have to be more mindful and downplay my eagerness to have a relationship.

I get that neediness is weakness, and a lot of people are turned off by weakness, but you would think that if you see someone struggling you'd want to help them with it.  And I don't see the problem with wanting things to go a certain way.  It just means you know what you want, you care what you get, you don't want just anything.  

I think another problem I have is that most people are more wise to the ways of the world than I am.  Because of my lack of knowledge and experience about how the world works, these girls think they'll have to take care of me.  The thing is though, part of why I like these girls is that I feel I could learn from them.  But, I don't think I would be like a baby that they need to care for.  I just haven't figured out a way to show them that just because they are more worldly than me and that I don't know as much as them doesn't mean I can't be independent too.  

Hobbies and interests and trying to do things myself doesn't really help me, because it does nothing to alleviate the weariness I feel from being single all my life.  Cultivating a full life is important, but that's just it - when I learn and progress or discover something new and exciting, I want to share it with those I want, and grow a connection because they are into some of the same things and even though you're not supposed to, I do want to prove that I can be worth their while.  And the longer I am single, it only reinforces the feeling that I am just intrinsically lacking, as you were mentioning yourself.  Like it's something I can't fix, because I'm just fundamentally inferior.

Much of what you say resonates with me. I think on the whole women do perceive neediness as weakness - a weakness that they themselves possess and therefore loathe. It's hard to paint in broad brushes in this day and age without someone accusing you of being sexist, but I'm going to do it anyways - women are looking for the strong male who has all the answers to life's questions. If they detect neediness, it's an indicator that this man doesn't have all the answers and is not positioned to give them the sense of security that they need. Women are trying to find in men the stability and security that they perceive themselves to lack. I submit that much of this is to do with psychological structures that are hardwired by evolutionary processes. Over the course of human history, women relied on men for safety. It's no mystery for those with a modicum of intellectual honesty.

What is especially difficult for young men to wrap their minds around in this political climate is that women and society at large are telling us day in and day out that gender roles are arbitrary social constructs. Not only are gender roles framed as artifice, they are also described as implements of a patriarchal system designed to keep women down. If you are like me and hold to liberal values, you've been told your whole life that "manliness" is bullshit and that we should engage women not as sex objects but as equals. The fly in the ointment is that liberal women will spout off this rhetoric and shame us men into distancing ourselves from our biological drives, but they themselves will still cleave to their own biological drive - to engage men as resources for securing safety in a dangerous world. In other words, women objectify us too. Just like a guy might ogle a physically attractive woman, women are inclined to either embrace us as strong providers of resources, or as weaklings who can't deliver resources. 

It's a total double standard and I am sick of it. I don't resent the objectification. I resent the intellectual dishonesty and the culture of shame. If a woman wants to write me off because I am needy and weak, then I can see how at the end of the day that is for the greater good. It pushes men to improve themselves and wards off complacency and stagnation. But don't do that and try to shame me for being an evil patriarch who can't help but objectify women in the same breathe...

Latest posts

Back