Chemical companions ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Somnambulist

What do you self-medicate with ? How do you drown your loneliness ?

My personal favorites are/were:

- Tramadol 400 mg (no longer, sad to say)
- Dark red wines (Syrah, Cabernet Sauv, dark blends)

I'm on escitalopram (forget the exact dose).

Tramadol gives me a fair energy boost, but I get crook withdrawals after just a few doses, so I discontinued with them. Do/did you experience that?

I was on Tramadol for chronic pain for a long time along with a tonne of other stuff. I had to come off it because it made me feel terrible and the benefits just didn't warrant dealing with the side effects. Now I've been moved up to the good stuff and it's working so much better for me, random muscle tremors aside! I also stopped taking the antidepressants my GP prescribed, they made my sleep feel empty because I stopped dreaming. These days I practice distraction. And talking to people helps me too, not about anything concerning my well-being, just conversations in general. Honestly, being around the people in the ALL chat and all the silliness that goes with it has helped me enormously too.

Meditation. Super effective.

Also weed, everything is entertaining with weed.

I am with SofiasMami  and DarkSalene

Toast with PBnJ but also  tried a very calm class of yoga last week and I think I could have fallen asleep right then and there at the end of the class

At one time, vodka.   Also weed but I quit that first.  For a few years (..age 18 to about 26 or 27 or so..) LSD, peyote and psychedelic mushrooms.   Coke was too expensive and I didn't get high enough, I thought.  H was the forbidden "bad stuff"!!!.....my bourgeois pals and I snorted it a few times a year, (..poking was WAY too hard core..) and we thought we were badass......college white boy fantasies.

Bubblebeam said:
I'm on escitalopram (forget the exact dose).

Tramadol gives me a fair energy boost, but I get crook withdrawals after just a few doses, so I discontinued with them. Do/did you experience that?

I had a NIGHTMARISH Tramadol withdrawal that lasted a whole month. I couldn't sit still for 5 minutes, my digestive system went nuts, I was depressed as hell, I started binge eating. I'm fine now. My advice to you is be very gradual with your weaning off.

Tramadol acted as, among other things, an appetite suppressant for me, which I loved ! I went months without exercising but still maintained my weight. And, it kept my IBS under control.

DarkSelene said:

I love the idea of meditation. Can you share details about your practice ? How, how long, how often, what kind of ambiance, etc ?

Somnambulist said:
DarkSelene said:

I love the idea of meditation. Can you share details about your practice ? How, how long, how often, what kind of ambiance, etc ?

like to have some nature around, maybe just the sun shine, or a plant in my room, idk. Incense and candles are really nice for me and because it helps me not only concentrate but also zone out, I put on Ganesha's mantra playing. That's the simple stuff, before I used to do some yoga and then sit to meditate like that but just sit in a comfortable way first really pay attention to the music and then just lose yourself in so many thoughts (good ones) that you end up not thinking anything. When you realize  or you feel uncomfortable you'll see that time has gone by. 
I do the opening chakras Tibetan meditation too, but that's because I believe in that sort of thing, if you're looking for something powerful to make you feel energized and more at ease, look that one up. 
I used to do it twice a week, maybe three times if I was worried or had issues that were making me feel nervous, right now I haven't been doing it at all, there's someone always in my house that annoys me to no end and he never leaves... I really need it!

It used to be alcohol and marijuana, but I stopped smoking about 4 years ago. I realized that I could take it or leave it, and it wasn't really helping anything. Now it's just alcohol, and mostly beer. Also I drink with friends, not alone as it would be kind of hard to do that at home....I'm of legal age but it's just something we don't do much of here. I guess it's not truly medicating my loneliness if I am with friends. Thankfully I have them. I'm just lonely for a girlfriend. Still, at my age and not having been on so much as one date, it bothers me a great deal.

constant stranger said:
At one time, vodka.   Also weed but I quit that first.  For a few years (..age 18 to about 26 or 27 or so..) LSD, peyote and psychedelic mushrooms.   Coke was too expensive and I didn't get high enough, I thought.  H was the forbidden "bad stuff"!!!.....my bourgeois pals and I snorted it a few times a year, (..poking was WAY too hard core..) and we thought we were badass......college white boy fantasies.

I'd be interested to hear your psychedelic experiences sometime...I have had a few as well. I didn't do that for loneliness though. That was about curiosity.

I don't drown my loneliness. I wallow in it. And sometimes I feed it with chocholates.

Turning to drugs (such as Tramadol, which should only be used as a pain killer if you're in severe physical pain) is never a good idea. I work in rehab, and the amount of wasted lives I see there because of drug abuse is both scary and devastating. It may dull the emotional pain for the duration of the effect, but overall it'll make your life worse and more lonely. That also includes alcohol and weed, if you use it frequently. But hey, we're all adults, and people make their own choices. To each their own.

Tuathaniel said:
I don't drown my loneliness. I wallow in it. And sometimes I feed it with chocholates.

Turning to drugs (such as Tramadol, which should only be used as a pain killer if you're in severe physical pain) is never a good idea. I work in rehab, and the amount of wasted lives I see there because of drug abuse is both scary and devastating. It may dull the emotional pain for the duration of the effect, but overall it'll make your life worse and more lonely. That also includes alcohol and weed, if you use it frequently. But hey, we're all adults, and people make their own choices. To each their own.

You're undeniably right, but I can't manage without my wine.

I wish I could have Tramadol, instead :(

I smoke marijuana and use edibles daily for the calming effect, the poetic thoughts I get in my head, analgesic, and because it keeps me safe at home since I won't drive on it. I don't drink because I become out of control, but being stoned is a much more natural feeling and I am still in control. Thus some of my answers in the games posts... :) The munchies are another self-med. I can create just about anything after watching oh so many episodes of Chopped... Peace and love to you

I gotta say, I really don't think this is a good idea for a thread on a place like this. It kind of encourages people to look for vices and that could lead to addiction and making the problems worse.....

Latest posts

Back