still isolated

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayfarer

Reaction score
I have been member of this forum for quite a bit of time now. Yet I notice I'm still mostly isolated and almost don't talk to any member.

I must have gone wrong somewhere along the way. Would those of you that have been on here for a while tell me about your experience with the forum and how(if) you managed to connect with people here? What would you recommend to me?

Thank you in advance. :)

I haven't been here long, and I can't answer your questions but I can offer you company and someone to talk to, if you want. :)

From my observations...which could be totally off...it seems like while you do post, both on the forum and in chat, it's kind of like you don't fully engage, like you're withdrawn.  

Maybe try finding someone that you share interests with and maybe you'll have more luck?

To be honest seems to me that any kind of flow of conversation between forum members is so limited as to be virtually non existant..so I don't think it's any fault of yours...maybe the site doesn't lend itself to much more than isolated posts, possibly the chat room is a different experience, I don't have any experience of it...it can be a fairly negative experience posting without response...but then again sometimes it's helpful to be able to express yourself somewhere...I don't know what the solution is or even if there is one..probably seeking real world interaction is a better route to go down but not that easily achieved, I definitely understand that....I guess a site like this largely bypasses risks associated with putting yourself out there..people generally aren't going to judge you but I'm not sure how able people are to offer support when supporting themselves is an ongoing task...maybe these things are all symptomatic of loneliness... it's a bit of a bugger. : )

sothatwasmylife said:
To be honest seems to me that any kind of flow of conversation between forum members is so limited as to be virtually non existant..so I don't think it's any fault of yours...maybe the site doesn't lend itself to much more than isolated posts, possibly the chat room is a different experience, I don't have any experience of it...it can be a fairly negative experience posting without response...but then again sometimes it's helpful to be able to express yourself somewhere...I don't know what the solution is or even if there is one..probably seeking real world interaction is a better route to go down but not that easily achieved, I definitely understand that....I guess a site like this largely bypasses risks associated with putting yourself out there..people generally aren't going to judge you  but I'm not sure how able people are to offer support when supporting themselves is an ongoing task...maybe these things are all symptomatic of loneliness... it's a bit of a bugger. : )

Those are some good points. I suppose you can get as little or as much as you want from a forum like this.
It can be a vicious cycle - you're fearful of reaching out, so you feel more lonely and less inclined to reach out to others and then you feel more lonely...
The forum itself has been less active for awhile but there have been times when I've been far more active on PMs than posting publicly on the forum.
We're all real people behind the avatars and I've been around long enough to see most of us are normal and not stalkers who are out to kill people they meet on the internet.
So if you want to make a friend, Wayfarer, take a chance! What do you have to lose?

If you seem drawn to someone from what they post try talking to them in a PM
You might find similar interest

Thanks for all the answers. So basically I should just send PMs to people I feel I might get along with?

Wayfarer said:
Thanks for all the answers. So basically I should just send PMs to people I feel I might get along with?

That's usually a good thing, but I would also recommend posting more on the forum so that people can get to know you as well.

Wayfarer said:

That's the only way. Sometimes it can be embarrassing to try and connect with individual members after having vented on a forum. (Not directed at you, just one of the reasons people might hesitate.)

It's not that. I'm bad at starting conversation and more importantly at keeping in touch.
I must have some problems lol I won't deny writing PMs is not an easy thing. Lol

Hi,

I've been here *gasp* over 6 years!!! I found that I made connections both in the Chat Room, and playing in the Games thread!

Hey Wayfarer,

We all have issues here, a forum for lonely people by lonely people (i assume) is kinda like the blind leading the blind, but overall people here will get you, and sometimes you dohave to stick your nose in a littlebit further then comfortable and hopefully you'll become more comfortable doing so.

And on a side note, your not alone, I was on the forum last weekend on two occasions, one of them was ok, but the other was just like sitting down at a table with strangers in a café and that is to be expected, i'm new and lonely people usually have reason not to trust easily.

Mingle, give your oppinion freely (I'm trying to do the same thing), If it takes you a bit longer because your unsure and second guessing yourself thats ok, but stick with it, when your comfortable PM someone, I'm hesitant about that myself but realy, whats the worst that can happen?

Hope it helps :)

From my experience most people flake out. And if I remember correctly, I messaged you last and never got a respond back lol, but that's ok, I didn't take it personally, hope you are doing well.

InfiniteIsolation said:
These forums aren't for connecting to others. Just a place for the miserable to make themselves known.

Most of the people I have talked to on here ended up leaving ALL altogether! :(

I don't think this place is for one thing only. One can with earlier posts as example both make oneself known, and connect to others.

InfiniteIsolation said:
These forums aren't for connecting to others. Just a place for the miserable to make themselves known.

I have connected to quite a few people here and while some of them left ALL, I still keep in touch with him often. 

It doesn't matter where you are, you can meet people anywhere and form  connection with them.

InfiniteIsolation said:

This forum is what you want it to be really, but there is no guarantee it can provide what you want it to provide.

There are people we can connect with or not here, it all depends on whether you're willing to take that step to reach out or take that step to open up.

Just as in anything else in life, sometimes it can be successful, sometimes not.

Latest posts

Back