I don't smile anymore

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you told you look sad, angry or depressed?

• Yes I'm sad so I don't smile as much as I used to and look sad

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No I cover my sadness and smile and still appear fine to the world

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Yes I have but occasionally something makes me smile

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

Saddo

Reaction score
Just out of interest does anyone else not smile anymore expeciallly when you're really depressed and sad? Ever since I became depressed I stopped smiling altogether. My facebook pictures are unbelievably embarrassing where I either look exhausted, angry, like I don't want to be where I am or depressed. People comment on it more than I would like and I really don't know what to saay to them. Sometimes I'm actually trying to be social and I still look sad or angry. It's just because I've been depressed for so long, I think it's a habit that I just haven't gotten out of.
Does anyone else look depressed and sad? And have you ever had that embarrassing moment where someone points it out and you don't know what to say back?

I actually forced myself to smile every time. I did receive some remarks about my expression, but most of the time no one really asked further for the reason of it. I think you can say things like "I am a bit down/tired today" or idk. "I've simply got a bad headache" was my favourite, since I really had one every day anyways, at the time.

I'll skip the poll as at the moment I'm not sad nor happy, so an option for me is not there :p

I almost never smile, people tell me that. I used to try and smile but it was faking and probably looked like it. I'm not a very happy guy and I don't see why I should pretend.

I have been asked "what are you up to ?" because I was smiling LOL

What good is a smile that's not from deep inside of you?

BadGuy said:
I have been asked "what are you up to ?" because I was smiling LOL

Same has happened to me! lol
And it wasn't one of those glare + smile combinations, aka psycho smile.

Do you work? At work, I have to fake smile or people will gossip or be offended or think I'm unfriendly. No matter how awful I feel, I try to fake a smile. It becomes habit in the real world...have to pretend to be happy so others don't get a bad impression.

A good excuse is ... "I'm tired...had trouble sleeping" or "I'm not feeling too well" or "I have a headache". Usually they'll feel sorry for you and then just back off...

Depression has a bad stigma too it and there are people that don't sympathize with mental illness or care to understand about it...that's why gotta fake a smile til you make it...

Maybe some form of electrical device attached to either side of the face and capable of either random impulses or on demand....sufficient to contract the cheeks but avoid any serious singeing of facial hair should that apply

I've been dealing with depression for so long that it's almost like I've forgotten how to smile. Mentally I'm in a better place now, but I still find it hard to smile. My face usually stays expressionless out of habit. People often mistake me for being angry when I'm actually not. I have to tell them, "No, I'm not angry. My face just naturally looks like this."

PixiePalace said:
People often mistake me for being angry when I'm actually not. I have to tell them, "No, I'm not angry. My face just naturally looks like this."

that happens to me all the time.

sothatwasmylife said:
Maybe some form of electrical device attached to either side of the face and capable of either random impulses or on demand....sufficient to contract the cheeks but avoid any serious singeing of facial hair should that apply

That's a good idea. 

I've also been angry and depressed for so long that I can't bring myself to smile. I couldn't even fake it at the grocery store I used to work at. My boss would constantly hound me to move faster, take the initiative to smile, greet the customers, and be super social with them, and eventually the pressure became too much for me to handle.

Latest posts

Back